Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #211
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,879
Glad you're home and alive, Brad. just got back from my trip and didn't really get a chance to read anyones RR. Nice job!!! Beautiful pictures, just unreal.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #212
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
trip? where'd you go to?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #213
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,879
Trans lab and rode the rock
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #214
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
Nice report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have an estimate of how many times you camped out vs staying in a hotel / motel? I'm starting to budget my own trip down south.

Thanks!

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #215
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I spent maybe 2 weeks of the whole trip camping. A lot of that camping was at a hostel though, usually a dollar or 2 a night. The hostels are so cheap and easy to find that I didn't camp much. Also, it's much harder to stealth camp in CA. The jungle is impenetrable in most places and I don't feel comfortable sleeping behind any building down there. The Lonely Planet payed for itself 100 times over on the trip because it showed were the hostels were.

You may know this already but don't try to figure gasoline as a daily thing. Figure out the total miles of the trip, divide by the MPG of your bike, then multiply by gas price. Gas prices change wildly across borders but if you average it at $3 a gallon it oughta be pretty close.

Border expenses were much higher than I expected. Most were $25-40(that includes insurance) and I went through a whole lotta borders. At a rough guess I'd say I spent around $500 on border fees.

I spent a fortune in Mexico on lodging because I couldn't find hostels and I didn't want to camp just anywhere. Hotels were between $20-30 for a nice place.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #216
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
What would you have done different on this trip if you had much more time?

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #217
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Utilla. Utilla is a tiny island off the north coast of Honduras next to Roatan--the big island. Roatan has nice beaches and very expensive resorts. Utilla has nothing but dive shops. The average dive including equipment rental and boat fees were around $25. I saw 10 dive packages for $220. I'd spend a week at Utilla diving.

Also, I'd like to take a boat trip out to the San Blas islands off the coast of Panama. The pictures of that place are so amazing it's hard to believe they're real.

And of course I'd really have liked to take more breaks from riding. You know, stop at a cheap beach for a day EVERY other day instead of riding through. The coast of Mexico on the Gulf has hundreds of miles of sandy beach and most of it is uninhabited. You can ride right down to the sand, bury your rear tire with a good burn out, and camp out without seeing another soul. It's really nice til' ya run out of beer

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 11:15 AM
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #218
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,900
Bump.

Great report

I had no idea Guatemala was so beautiful, and I love your solution to border paper work. I wouldn't have the guts to try that.

I was waiting for this trip during your bike building thread, I would not have known you had taken it already if it were not for datchew's sig line

This inspires me to try and learn Spanish. I've wanted to travel in Mexico, now Guatemala looks good too.

Thanks for taking us along.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #219
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
YEESS!!

HEY I know that bridge! :)

So happy that you made it to this spot. Central Guat is very very special.

I picked a bad time to go offline - I really wish I would have been there to help you work through another mexican airhead ignition scavenger hunt. The support from this community is heartwarming! Your tales of motoshops, VW stealers, and hot sweaty rodeside diagnosis made me smile big time!!!!!! I swear 8 months later it feels like that was even fun (not quite so much at the time!).

Where will you take this beast next.... CHeers, JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
This bridge was a 5 minute walk from the hammock. It had a nice 25 foot drop underneath it so I walked up there a few times and jumped.

I did a 2 hour cave tour that was almost all swimming. We had no flashlights--just candles. Somebody would fall in and we'd have to relight each other. It was a trip. Of course, no pictures in the cave. I've done a poor job of taking pictures.

I went tubing down the river a coupla times. Beautiful.

All of that stuff wasn't even in Semuc Champey. Semuc was even more amazing.