Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #32
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
i knew iīd be seeing that picture as soon as i found out it was my icu
you got my number still?

If you get desperate, I have no serious rides up and coming and it's getting hot outside so I lurk in the A/C.

I can pull my points beancan and 3ohm coil and quick instructions for a swap in the field. It'll at least erase any probs of ignition trigger or hall sensor worries and it takes 5 mins to drop on new points and condensor on the side of the road.

The offer is there. And this will motivate me to push harder on completion of my dual hall sensor mod jig. Hey, if that gets done, I can send you Stagehand's beancan. Guaranteed to add 3 HP! (but it only works well if it's dirty)

datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #33
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
I can pull my points beancan and 3ohm coil...

Guaranteed to add 3 HP!
+1
The points are growing on me too. The points can has my R80 smoking gixxers off the line. I probably won't be switching back...ever.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 06-09-2009 at 12:22 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #34
thor.i.am
ridin' a KLR

Oddometer: 126
thor.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #35
DMM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Buen Viaje!

Perhaps you were being sarcastic, but in case not, don't feel like you got taken on your first day in Mexico. The guy who helped you and then hit you up for a fee probably earned his bread that day. As many who've traveled through Central & South Am. know, wealth is relative and right now you are wealthier than perhaps 99% of the folks that you're likely to meet on your trip.
When dealing with guides, taxis, or anyone offering assistance, consider what the help is worth to you and negotiate or simply offer a price beforehand. This way, you don't feel like you are being extorted or that you are cheating someone.
Have a great adventure and thanks for sharing it with us.
DMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #36
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,480
Brad..just a thought. Heat is one of the enemies of the ICU and you are in quite a hot climate right now. I noticed from your preparation thread that you put the HID igniter right next to the ICU. Is it possible that it could be adding to the heat already there???
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #37
ItchyFeet
Too young to resist

Oddometer: 66
I'm in

Okay you got me with that baler twine and bubble gum fix so soon into the trip.
When you get back from your travels, and tell your friends of all the interesting people you have met in obscure bars and hostels. Only to realize after years of travel, you are the guy they talk about. - Cedric Pieterse
ItchyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #38
CETME
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
oooooooooooh, I like this.... please keep it coming
CETME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #39
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyFeet
Yup. Awesome. I'm hooked!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #40
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
+1
The points are growing on me too. The points can has my R80 smoking gixxers off the line. I probably won't be switching back...ever.

I've never done it, but I like the idea for a trip like this one.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
Quote:
Brad..just a thought. Heat is one of the enemies of the ICU and you are in quite a hot climate right now. I noticed from your preparation thread that you put the HID igniter right next to the ICU. Is it possible that it could be adding to the heat already there???
oh , i fried the hid 2 weeks after i put it in. i felt like a jerk using that thing anyways. it was blinding. youīre probably right about the heat though. i never got around to changing out the heat sink paste. after 25 years it was a brown mess.

my tach is acting kinda funny now. the rpms are higher than usual and it bounces around me. who caresĄ the bike runs!

thanks for all the offers of parts. iīm not turning them down, i may need them yet

Quote:
Perhaps you were being sarcastic, but in case not, don't feel like you got taken on your first day in Mexico. The guy who helped you and then hit you up for a fee probably earned his bread that day. As many who've traveled through Central & South Am. know, wealth is relative and right now you are wealthier than perhaps 99% of the folks that you're likely to meet on your trip
yeah i was joking. i definitely didnīt mind helping the guy out. he was standing out there in that hot sun all day. i was glad to make it worthwhile for him. one thing though, he pulled me out of a line of cars. i specifically didnīt get a fancy new bike so i wouldnīt stand out. so much for that! people stare at that bike like it came from the moon.

Quote:
before i had the beemer, i had a KLR

hereīs a picture of juan and isidro

juan gave me a long talk about how motos are "cajas de muertes", coffins, and how i should stop riding them. i didnīt disagree with him.

i left the hotel and promptly got lost. i rode around for 3 hours trying to find the highway. i asked a guy at pemex(the national gas station) and got directions.

they sent me into a city where a cop pulled me over. he said motos werenīt allowed in the city. i mustīve misunderstood him. i definitely didnīt misunderstand him when he said he wouldnīt give me a ticket but īhace mucho calorī and winked. yeah, he wanted a bribe. i gave him all the coins i had in my pocket and told him "eso es todo de mis pesos". he smiled and took them.

i finally found the right highway. it ran into every tiny village it could find. iīve heard there are toll highways that avoid all these little towns. i payed 2 tolls and still went through the towns. lame.

i did 250 miles today and only half of that was actual progress south. 125 miles of going in the wrong direction.

i made it to Tuxpan(pronounced toospan). this city is beautiful. iīm definitely close to the tropics.

i wimped out. i got another hotel. if i keep this up iīll have to change the title. those pics are from the balcony. darn nice for 40 bucks, iīm right near downtown.

it was getting dark itīs hard to spy camp sites here. iīve slept on powerlines, or behind rest stops or under radio towers all over the states, and canada for that matter, but thereīs nothing like that here. also, the trees are big enough to hide behind. the bikes happy in itīs new room though.

hereīs the laundry room.

this cool max stuff dries crazy fast. i love it.

and, of course, theyīve got internet.

iīve been a pretty bad tourist so far and iīll try to take more pictures. i wanted to get out and see the town but i just ate dinner and i'm tired. maybe in the morning. adios.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-09-2009 at 09:05 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #42
kwight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I have traveled through Mexico twice and have found that if you ask the owner of the restuarant you are eating at, they are likely willing to let you camp behind the business for free. Of course, you may not want to do this in just any area, but it is worth a try.

Kevin
kwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #43
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Planning on going thru El Salvador?

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #44
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
thanks for the advice kwight. i may need it.

iīm planning on going through el salvador. more for bragging rights than actually wanting to see something specific though. if something has to get dropped itīll be el salvador.

i got up the next morning and hit the road. i finally found a toll road and burned some rubber.

scenery pics

erosion from where the road was cut through, i think

i hit veracruz, another big city, and spent another hour stuck in hot, bumper to bumper traffic. most cities here donīt have overpasses or bypasses. the highway dumps you in the city. my new strategy for getting through mexican cities is to stop at the first pemex i see and ask for directions. EVERY time i see a pemex, i stop again. i donīt care if itīs two blocks away, itīs worth it to get a second opinion.

veracruz was a nice coastal city though.

i hit some rain in the mountains, not to mention twisty sloping, cracked roads. they were all paved though. mexico may not have an interstate sytem but i havenīt ridden on a dirt road here yet. i donīt expect to see that further south.

i hit a military checkpoint and they pulled me out of a line of cars to be searched. the guy asked me if i would open the boxes. i said īsi! tiene las armas!ī it wasnīt too thorough and they didnīt hold me for more than a few minutes.

i did 400 miles yesterday....but to do it i rode non stop from 10 to 8. thatīs a 40 mph average. pretty crappy considering i hit every toll road i could find. i slept at a truck stop. $20 gets you a darn nice room in mexico

i didnīt eat until i stopped. seriously, not a bite from the time i woke up until after dark. i drank a gallon of water though. i just wasnīt hungry.

i got up the next morning and got my first cup of coffee since coming to mexico. quite a feat for a guy that drinks halfa pot a day. while sitting in bed guess what i saw on tv....

yep! i ended up leaving an hour late on my road trip because i was watching ewan and charlie on theirīs. man i love those movies.

i rode for just an hour this morning and stopped in the first place iīve been meaning to see in the lonely planet guide-- palenque. 1 hour of riding today, nice.

palanque has gobs of ruins. i paid $2 to sling my hammock up, rice and beans and vegetables is a dollar a meal and the ruins are right outside the place.

new invention! a cheap fan at wal'mart and some duct tape gets me a ceiling fan. i fall asleep with the fan on, wake up with dead batteries, and charge them while i ride the next time. this thing is a lifesaver.

sleeping in the jungle in a hammock, man ya canīt beat it.

a real town, and this internet bar, is just 5 minutes away but iīm going to try to stay off the bike. after i get back iīll be stopped for the night and i donīt plan to ride at alltomorrow. iīm really making an effort not to get myself into the īmust make milesīmindset. iīll take a guided tour of the ruins, in a bus, and let somebody else drive. today and tomorrow should cost me less than $10 each, thatīs for food, lodging, everything.

after that iīve got to cover some ground to make it to the border of belize. iīve got 600 miles to go and 2 days worth of insurance left. i donīt want to risk riding without it.

well, adios for a few more days!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 03:31 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #45
r-man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I'm along for the ride!

So far, you've got me hooked!!