Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #46
knuckledonkey
Crikey!

Oddometer: 66
Did you pack the hammock or buy it along the way?

knuckledonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #47
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,196
i picked it up at rei before i left. i slept in a fishnet on a beach in costa rica last year for almost a week. ive been hooked on m every since.

its from a company called eagles nest outfitters. i got it for free at rei with my dividend, but theyre 50 bucks. weighs less than a pound, holds 400 pounds and i feel every breeze through the fabric.

they make a bug net for it but im not looking to have it replace my tent. i can sit in it sideways and recline at camp or sleep in it. i can sleep comfortably on my stomach in it if i sling it tight.

itd take a lot of work slinging a tarp to use it as a primary shelter, and it wouldnt be any lighter, but its amazingly comfortable when the weathers right or you need a chair.

heres a map of central america. im a little southeast of villahermosa in souther mexico.
Attached Images

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #48
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

it had to happen eventually. i got the poops. ill spare the details but i think i used the bathroom 8 or 9 times yesterday. on top of that i twisted my ankle.

i had planned on walking all over some ruins but it didnt work out that way. i went to see them, with some toilet paper in my camelbak just in case, took some pics then ran back to camp just in time to make it to the bathroom again.

the ruins were nice though

i got up this morning and felt a bit better so i packed up and headed for the border. i only had to run off into the woods to find a tree once of course i stopped at 3 pemexes too.

i didnt want to travel to a different country only to eat at an american fast food restaurant but after yesterday my stomach deserved a cheeseburger.

a/c, all the coke i could drink, a clean bathroom--what more could i ask for? i brought all my maps and books inside and stayed for an hour thinking about what to do in belize.

it was hot today. how hot you ask? this hot

if it was so hot that your kickstand sank into the asphalt youd hide at the burger king too.

my math was off. i only had about 200 miles to the border. i made it to the aduana but the guy on the mexico side said i need to cancel my temporary pass before passing over. i remember reading something about that in a thread on here. ill look it up in a minute. anyways, they couldnt do it until the morning so i found another overpriced hotel. im in chatumal for the night.

my plan as of right now
i think ill spend a week in belize then hop over the short section of guatemala straight to honduras. im going to burn across honduras and nicaragua. ill do my sightseeing there on the way back. my university has a campus in costa rica and i know some folks there. ill probably swing by the campus there for a few days then head to panama.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #49
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
So far so good, I'm subscribed. I'm about 3 months behind you, so I'm reading every word carefully
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #50
Gringacho
Una Aventura Loca

Oddometer: 740
Check your PM's.

Have fun amigo......
Gringacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #51
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I crossed into Belize without too many hassles. Heck, borders are easy if you speak the language

i got turned around a few times. i don't think i've seen a road sign yet. I went a long way down a crazy bumpy dirt road before turning around and deciding I'd just follow the pavement.

I spent the night in a hostel in Belize City. It's in a shady area but the owner gave me a board and let me ride the bike up into the place. the door was barely wider than my handlebars.

Belize City

I have a halfa dozen beggars follow me around every time I walk out the door. I avoid going outside unless I have to.

There are bars on EVERYTHING. I found a little chinese restaurant with a big gate on it. They pass you the food through a a slot in the rebar. $3 gets you a massive foam box fulla chicken chow mein though.

I got up this morning and found a bunch of the flower pots in the hostel knocked over. The owner said somebody climbed up to the second story and tried to break in. They were probably trying to rob the goofy white kid that everybody saw wandering around in flip flops.

The owner asked if I could remove the boxes from the bike so she could be them in the kitchen. They've got locks on 'em and the bike is behind a gate and she still didn't think it was safe. I ended up wrapping my 12' chain through the rear wheel and tightly around the lids. A crowbar won't get 'em open. Bolt cutters are of course the master key to everything though.

I got up this morning and got in a water taxi to head to the Cayes. this is the big tourist draw of belize.

It'd be sunny one second then it would rain cats and dogs.....then it would stop. Kinda cool actually. I'd duck under some place and watch the rain for a while. I was still out snorkeling long enough to get a bit of a sunburn. I don't use sunblock. I hate the stuff.

If you're travelling down here I recommend that you don't stay in Belize City. There's nothing worth seeing and crime is a problem. I'm tired of hiding in the hostel when I'm in the city so I'm going to head south tomorrow. I'm still looking for that idyllic day when I lay in a hammock half the day and spend the rest in the water. I think my skin needs a day off from the sun though.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-15-2009 at 06:23 PM
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #52
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I I'm still looking for that idyllic day when I lay in a hammock half the day and spend the rest in the water.
Head to El Salvador for that.

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #53
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I got up with a good sunburn. It doesn't bother me until I put on my jacket and camelbak. The straps really dig in. No sense in whining about it. My old journeyman in IBEW once told me 'If you're gonna be dumb ya better be tough.' I'm gonna be dumb

I decided to see the rest of Northern Belize before heading south. I rode down a road to the baboon sanctuary and a guy came out and said they did tours.

You'd think he was a scammer but the guy, Shane, was really smart. He talked about all the plants and animals there. Then he made monkey noises at the trees and one came down for a banana.

Then he gave me a piece of a banana and the monkey grabbed my hand and ate it off my palm. It was pretty darn cool. Here's the monkey staring at me waiting for his banana.

I went for a canoe trip after that and paddled up the Belize River for over an hour. My shoulders hadn't had a good workout in over a week. Felt good. The Belize River is beautiful. The water's green and the plants come right up to the edge. We rowed underneath branches that hung over the water. The iguanas, 3 foot tall mini dragon monsters, got spooke and did what they always do to avoid danger--they jumped in the water. These spiney sharp toothed killers were splashing all over us. One of the babies fell in the boat. I'm glad it wasn't momma.

Here's the little babies. There were hundreds of them.

I got some great shots of the river and the big iguanas with my video camera. It has an incredible zoom and it takes stills. The problem is I have no way to transfer the photos over to the computer. Back home my laptop has a slot for the big SD cards and I never thought to bring something else. Lame.

We got back and talked for a while under a grass hut while it rained. We talked about politics and J-Lo's 30 million dollar butt while they smoked huge amounts of weed. There was a monkey sitting on the table next to me munching maypalms the whole time. It was a trip.

When the rain stopped the monkeys came down. I got some amazing video of monkeys climbing on the bike. I also got a shot of me standing next to the seat while a monkey sat on the tank bag munching on a banana. Awesome pic--can't upload it. Hopefully in Costa Rica one of the students on campus has a way to transfer stuff.

If you travel to Belize without doubt go to the baboon sanctuary in Bermudian Landing. You'll pass a few metal bridges that will send your tire all over the place. Slow to a crawl or you'll dump the bike. It's a little hut to the left and there's a small sign pointing to it. Ask for Shane. The guy there's been feeding bananas to the monkeys so long they come down for him all the time.

Now I'm in a hotel with a sunburn and it's pouring buckets. I'm thinking about lazing around in the hotel for the rest of the day and healing up.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #54
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,669
Hey Brad, glad you're enjoying Belize!!! I was there in early '01, stayed in a hostel in Belize City similar to the one you described. Got caught in a hurricane, got hassled by Rasta's on Caye Caulker, and hung out with a dude from ATL that owned and ran a Eco tourism place called Turtle bay. Great country, great people, and everything you could ever want in a getaway. Glad you're hanging out there. wish i had known about the baboon sanctuary!!! start camping before you loose your shirt!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #55
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Thumb

Great ride report, keep us posted and definitely lots of pics when you can.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #56
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I know I know. I could've slept out last night too. I feel pretty safe in Belize. But it was raining hard, and my sunburn hurt.

Besides, let's say I'm a lazy bum and stay in hostels most of the way. They average $15 a night at the most. That's under a thousand dollars for the whole 2 months. That's what my rent'd be back home. Throw in $500 for gas. maybe another $600 for food. Money for touristy stuff. This shouldn't going to come out much more expensive than if I had stayed home. As long as I don't get kidnapped that is.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #57
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Great stuff

Gotta say I am enjoying this little trip with you. Never done one like this and have to say I am jealous. Ride safe, be smart, enjoy.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #58
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
BRAD: "This guy's kinda cute. This will make a great picture."

MONKEY: "I can take this guy, and I bet he tastes like chicken."

In other news, I scored a used "points" beancan recently for $60 and will begin cleaning it up. So you have a backup plan without taking my bike offline if your hall sensor takes a dump.

Keep us posted Brad and bring on the pics!
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #59
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,281
Well?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #60
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

60 bucks! dern, I need to keep my eye out on ibmwr and ebay.

here's the pics from the baboon sanctuary.

Man what a great shot. That picture really needs a punchline like "I wonder what happens when I push this button......"

cool huh?

I left there and went to San Ignacio, the border crossing into Guatemala. I found some dirt along the way.

I had to clean off the headlights. No light made it through that muck.

I was at a gas station and a coupla guys pulled up in a jeep. Turns out this guy and his son, Nat and Levi, had ridden their bikes from Alaska down to Suriname. Nat has a monolever G/S and Levi has a KLR.

Nat's G/S is awesome. He extended the swingarm 4 inches himself and put a set of WP USD forks on it.

They invited me over and I stayed with them for 3 days. It was incredible. We swapped riding stories and talked about bikes all day.

While he was looking at my bike, Nat noticed this.

It's the original throttle cable. Swapped it out, one breakdown avoided.

Here's me and Levi on the river.

I should've gotten a big family picture with them before I left but I thought there were more pics of them from the river trip.

Me and Levi went riding for a day on some of their bikes.

We tore up some dirt with the DR350 and TW200. We rode down to a river and hung out in the jungle for a while.

I hated to leave. They had been so good to me. Ms. Debbie's cooking is the best food I've had in weeks

I crossed over into Guatemala and ran up to Tikal.

I headed south and stopped at a hostel called Finca Ixobel. Really nice place. $5 a night for a room. good food. I went swimming in the pond here and got yet another awful sunburn. I'm going to stay here for another day or so and try to heal up before heading south into Honduras.