Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #76
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
now if Datchew could send me a small handlebar mounted bazooka along with that points ignition system I'll be just fine.
You'd be surprised what Datchew could send if customs would allow it.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #77
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,293
I smoked through southern Costa Rica. It was stupid. I was taking blind corners at 70. It was a blast...until I got pulled over. The cop said I couldn´t pay the ticket for 8 days until the computer updated and that I couldn´t leave the country until I payed it. Normally I´d have said ¨sure whatever¨then left the country but I have to come back through. I offered to pay the cop, he took my money and didn´t put me in the computer.

Here´s a pic of the window at the aduana for the Panamanian border

Touratech is shameless--they´ll advertise on anything!! A lot of those stickers were for guys that were riding bikes down to south america. They didn´t seem like guided tours or anything. Do people really make stickers to comemorate a motorcycle trip?

I crossed Panama all the way to Panama City. I got pulled over for speeding 2 more times. I wasn´t going any faster than any of the other traffic though. They have 4 lane highways with 35mph speed limits--everybody was going 60. The first cop was angling for a bribe but I played dumb--I definitely intended to toss that ticket in the weeds and ride out of the country. He ended up not giving me a ticket. The 2nd cop and I flew past and didn´t stop til about a quarter mile later. He wave me on.

Pulled over for speeding by 3 cops in 2 countries on the same day. That´s gotta be a record.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 03:36 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #78
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil

Great pic!

Next time you head down to S America, I'm coming along, k?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #79
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
Next time you head down to S America, I'm coming along, k?
I can´t decide on South America. Every time I´m at a border or in a city I think ´Screw this! I´m never doing this again!´ As soon as I´m cruising the countryside I start to think I could do this forever. If your wife gives you permission to go on a 6 month road trip just let me know--I´ll drop out of school or quit my job or whatever and go with ya. I promise I´ll switch to points

I had a crappy day yesterday. The creamer for my coffee opened and I had a halfa liter of the stuff in one of my boxes. It got wet so it turned into a sticky goo. When I emptied the box to clean it out I found that half the bolts holding my boxes on were missing. I globbed blue LocTite on everything and it still came loose. The constant bashing of rocky muddy roads took their toll.

I went to a hardware store and got some nylox nuts and a pile of 6m bolts. My spanish is getting me by. ¿Tiene las tuercas? ¿seis eme? I even tracked down a store that had USB drive for my camera. I´ll be loading this thread with pics from here on out I promise. I know you bums skip through the pictures and don´t read any of this junk. I know that because that´s what I would do

On the way down the mountain a truck ran me into a ditch. We both got to each at the exact worse time halfway through a sharp bend. The muddy road is barely 8 feet wide and this dumptruck filled the road--it was either the ditch or his bumper. Luckily another trucker came by and helped me out of the ditch.

I didn´t know it til 400 miles later but I snapped the mount on my toolbox. I´m amazed I didn´t lose it on the road. The bolts on this box were fine when I was at the hardware store. Most were missing when I saw this later that night.

I had to remove the 1 bolt that was holding it on and bungee the box to the bike at a gas station last night. I bolted it back together this morning with nylox nuts and it seems okay. I don´t think it´ll fall off but I´ll watch it.

Another victim

Had to take this picture

who´d have thought they´d have airhead only parking at the hostel?

I´m in Casco Viejo in Panama City now. Kinda rundown looking but there´s construction going on everywhere. They{re steadily turning this:

into this:

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 03:45 PM
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #80
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I got up early and tried to ride over to see the Miraflores locks at the Panama Canal. Bad idea. After an hour I saw a road that looked familiar--I was two blocks from my hostel where I started. I got a taxi

This is on the causeway, a big bridge connecting a small string of islands, that I ended up riding down completely on accident. Yeah, I was that lost.

The middle lock at Miraflores

I spent 3 hours there and got there just in time to watch a boat start it´s transit.

I had planned on spending a week here but I´m getting a little impatient to head back. There are a lot of things I want to see in Guatemala that I skipped. I wouldn´t mind spending a week at a homestay to work on my Spanish either.

There´s a castle that Captain Morgan destroyed here and a lock that you can ride through sometimes. I wouldn´t mind seeing them and may try to squeeze them in today. I´m kinda tired though. I´m thinking I may swing by them tomorrow then see how far I get on my way to the border. Maybe spend a day on a beach at Bocas. with sunscreen this time

oh yeah, a pic of the new city as seen from the old city

Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #81
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Enjoying it.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #82
drivenbydiscovery
´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•

Oddometer: 346
awesome trip!

screw the cops in Costa Rica. even if you're doing the speed limit, they'll say that the limit where they stopped you is 10 km less (than posted). bullshit! don't give em any money!

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•
drivenbydiscovery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #83
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,660
Fantastic trip....but yes, more pics please! Best of luck out there.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #84
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I know. i'm a bad tourist. I'll regret missing some of the pics. I didn't get many more today either. It was pouring rain and I was in dirt for quite a while.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #85
Bulleteer
Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer: 336
You know, a pic of a G/S taking a nap in the mud would be very entertaining to us folks at home.
Bulleteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #86
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

yeah no pic of that either. I thought about it but it was raining hard and there were more trucks coming on that tiny road. Don't worry--I'll probably wreck it 2 or 3 more times before I get home

Man we got some good smilies on here!

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 09:20 PM
Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #87
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,372
people look at me kinda funny when i tell them my spanish is "en mal estado"

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #88
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
people look at me kinda funny when i tell them my spanish is "en mal estado"

your gringo accent probably made them think you said "molestado" which is probably also true.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #89
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
your gringo accent probably made them think you said "molestado" which is probably also true.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #90
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 606
Not sure what your problem is with the Costa Rica police. 19 trips totaling a year and a half of time spent there. The few times I have interacted with the police they have been very nice, professional and helpfull. I can say the same for Mexico and El Salvador.

More than I can say for police in Texas, Tenn. and Indiana!

My .02

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenbydiscovery
awesome trip!

screw the cops in Costa Rica. even if you're doing the speed limit, they'll say that the limit where they stopped you is 10 km less (than posted). bullshit! don't give em any money!
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote