User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #121
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Are you keeping any other sort of written journal?
nah, that`s what advrider is for. it`s enough trouble making these posts

after I get done with the trip I'll print out the ride report and stick it in my photo album. I don't think I'll bother to get prints of the photos.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #122
drivenbydiscovery
´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I appreciate the lurkers!
it`s gonna take more than betadine to fix my bike. I have a definite notch in the steering bearing. I`m no mechanic and I didn`t know how to set the preload on the bearings. Maybe I tightened it too much? too little? I just got it tight to where it felt hard to turn then backed it off a little. It`s really twitchy in corners now since I`m riding on the edge of that notch.

oh, and I tried to adjust my valves the other day and ran in to some trouble. I got the right side adjust okay (intake was fine, exhaust had tightened up a thousandth like usual. that sound normal?) The problem was the left valve cover. It was, of course, caked in mud. When I tried to remove the nut it jammed and the stud started turning instead. I can double nut it and tighten it up but for the time being I just left it. One head´ll be out of whack for a few thousand miles is all.

the front end has developed a bit of a hop. I think I bent the rim. I underestimated how long my brake pads would last and they`re shot. It makes a nasty grinding feeling. I can feel my rotor peeling away. I may be able to find those pads somewhere though.

so yeah, the bike is falling apart beneath me. 3,000 miles to go baby, hold it together!
man, take that bike to get fixed while it's still cheap!!! seriously. just find a independent moto mechanic (NOT at a dealership!!) in Guatemala or Mexico and have them work on the bike. you'd be surprised at the parts they can find or have made. and it's cheap!!!!

my bike was falling apart on my way back from Panama too. i stopped in Guatemala, and the bolts the guys couldn't buy, they had machined ... for 3 dollars!!! and those bolts are still on my bike today.

i also found new tires at a small moto shop in Mexico, and they cost less than if i were to buy them here in the states! again, DON'T go to dealerships (BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki) as they won't have anything you need, and of course they're crazy expensive.

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #123
KLRWiley
Wiley

Oddometer: 13
Glad to hear the bike is staying together. Good luck, stay safe!
KLRWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #124
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,638
+1 to the advice to find a local shop... it is just amazing what they can do! My folks had an old panel Ford that they had converted into a car while there... put in windows, built seats, etc... amazing what they can do. Any country in which the going labor rate is about $10 a DAY can be pretty cheap if you know where to look... try it....

Plus, like your buddy who translated and wrote for your German/Spanglish manual, it will let you make great friends and be an un-tourist......

Love those pics, makes me want to go back to Guate......

Keep the faith, keep safe, and keep ridin'

Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #125
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
This is AWESOME Brad.

Loved the D&D comment as well. Most people reading this won't get it, but AW sure will.

Hammer the wheel, replace the pads pronto! and just go easy on the beast if she's acting up and she'll do fine. YOu can probably go for a long time and tired steering head bearings as long as you take it easy.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #126
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
Loved the D&D comment as well. Most people reading this won't get it, but AW sure will.
Are you kidding? The ratio of highschool nerds to ADVriders is very high

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #127
Quetzal
Guatemalan Import

Oddometer: 461
I´m in Guatemala City, let me know if there´s anything I can help you with...

cel.57011658

Ride safe!

BMW R1200GS
BMW R1100S

Visit www.motoaventuras.net

'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #128
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Look out Brad!

+

(Malaria meds)

=
Pretty effed up dreams. (until "the sleeper has awakened" at least)

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #129
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
I´m in Guatemala City, let me know if there´s anything I can help you with...
do you know a good way to avoid Guatemala City? seriously, I saw it from the mountains and it sprawls on forever. I really don't want to have to ride through it. I'm in Antigua and heading to Coban in the morning. I see little roads on the map and cities. Do you know which cities I'm likely to see road signs for if I head straight north out of Antigua?

Quote:
Look out Brad!
just messin' with ya man! how much longer do you have for your big trip? South America is still a possibility for me--if you do a ride report I promise you´ll have an audience

Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #130
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

here`s another boring old building in Antigua

and here`s the local school when it lets out. everybody has school uniforms down here

anyways, forget about that nonsense. dude, I saw lava!

I hiked up one of the volcanoes. People sold marshmallows all over the place so you can roast them over the lava. It hurts to get anywhere near that stuff though.

Hiking up the mountain was like going to the moon, except I was still heavy.

you can see the tiny line of hikers on the right side of the mountain

the volcanic ash was kinda like walking in sand.

this is how you know it was safe.

guys with shotguns are your friends looks like somebody extended the magazine so they can shoot a few extra people without reloading. I like the way these Guatemalans think!

parting shots

I fiddled with some settings on the camera. This is the same shot taken at the same time with 2 different settings

I finished Moby Dick and passed it on to an Australian at the hostel. I won't tell ya if Ahab beat the whale or not--but who do you think would win between a one legged old guy against a 70 ton whale in the middle of the ocean.

What do you think of my new Guatemalan seat cover?

I really thought about taking the cloth by a seamstress and getting it made into a seat cover but it wouldn't last two weeks. I'm loading up on souvenirs for the folks back home and that`ll probably end up on an aunt`s sofa or something.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #131
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Watch out or we'll start calling you Ishmael.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."

I liked that book, except for the gruesome level of details with which he described the process of "processing" the whale after it was killed. Let's hope I never have to get forced to watch video of that clockwork orange style.

Go easy on the spice and mind the makers.

That lava is AWESOME! I can't believe you can get that close to it!
"ISILDUR!!! DESTROY IT!!!!"
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #132
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,073
Call me Fishmeal
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #133
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,638

Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #134
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
Beautiful volcano pics

I've been in Antigua a couple of times and always enjoy going back. Don't ask me about the time I accidentally took both mine and my wife's Lariam at once (in Antigua as a matter of fact)...

Ride safe!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #135
DauntlessDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Lurker. Props on your trip. Dune is pretty much the best SF book ever written. And the next three in the series are excellent as well. Enjoy. Datchew's LOR comment was funny.
1993 Honda CB250 (sold)--1989 Honda NX250 (sold)--1975 Honda CB360T (sold, sadly, to help pay for..)--1999 BMW F650 Classic (sold, never gelled with that bike)--2002 Ninja 250 (totaled, frame cracked on a pothole, rode it home)--2012 Yamaha XT 250
DauntlessDave is offline   Reply With Quote