User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,375
2009 Hells Canyon gathering via Sector’s Barnacle Bistro Grand Opening

Great rides often include more than a destination and direct route, which is exactly what this one is about. Along with my report I hope others will chime in and add their reports as well. A number of us used the Barnacle Bistro Grand Opening for a hick off to Hells Canyon and Hells Canyon is being used as a kick off for the Triple T gathering. As my friend Dakez says “ride, ride, ride”.

Here are ride reports done by others as they were headed to the Hells Canyon gathering:
Steep & Rockie's report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473008
Mooglin's: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473366
Radioman's: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469024
G-Funk's: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10054483&postcount=574
Bauhausbier’s http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10035842&postcount=560
Mr. Fisherman’s http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10043725&postcount=570

And on with the report:

The Superbug is packed up and ready to roll.

Eastern Washington channeled scablands.

A bit of history along the way.

The Superbug stops to smell the roses.

Devil’s Canyon. North of Windust, WA.

Road to Goldendale, WA from Bickleton, WA

Above the Columbia Gorge on the Oregon side.

More history

Fairbanks, OR

Loving the spring flowers.

Old Hwy 30.

I made an error in judgment about the tread left on my tires and decided to make a route change, head to Portland, and get tires. Ghostrunner and his lovely wife, Joey, took me to dinner at this great place. It was a Poor Farm at one time is now Edgefield Resort. It has it all: http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3&id=56. Dakez also met us there and we ate on the patio, it was very lovely and the company was top of the line.

The next day I spent some quality time in Longview, WA getting tires replaced. These folks were great and went the extra mile to get me going again.

Went for a nice scenic ride.

Enjoyed the view

Visited a church

Met Loud Al for dinner at Rock Creek Tavern but I neglected to get pictures after he arrived. I always enjoy his company and I guess I got distracted.

The next day I was on the road again headed south for Gold Beach, OR. I found a field of white but I don’t know what’s being grown.

Made it to Gold Beach in time for the ribbon cutting ceremony. There are more ride reports, including some of mine, here: Linky

After a great weekend with friends I was on the road again.

There is much more to come.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 06-13-2009 at 10:50 AM
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Waiting

Remember patience is not one of my virtues. I can't wait to see the rest of your adventure.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer: 233
Well, I think I probably speak for everyone from the IAMC group in saying that the Hell's Canyon ride was a great time, despite the weather and (my) mechanical issues. I had to bail out on Saturday afternoon with a broken chain, but everything up until that point was a great time.

Thursday June 4th:

We started out from Eagle on Thursday afternoon and headed north up through Emmett, Indian Valley and on to Council to camp for the night at Cabin Creek Campground.

We stopped after about 50 miles to take a little break, and unfortunately that stop was just long enough for the weather to catch us, and from here on out were fighting the rain.

We got into camp right about dark, and barely had enough time to get our tents set up before it got dark. Luckily Ryan, Phil, and me managed to snag a nice dry spot under some pine trees, and considering I was in a bivy sack, this was a real bonus for me. We got our tents set up, cooked some dinner, then Ryan managed to get a nice fire going, and several of us were able to dry out some of our gear. The rest of the crew crashed shortly after setting up camp.

Friday June 5th:

Luckily it didn't seem to rain much overnight, and everyone was able to start drying out in the morning. So we broke camp, headed into Council for fuel, and then took the only unscouted section of road to work our way up towards New Meadows.

The roads were great, very scenic, great traction and very little dust. It was great riding, and nice to dry out a bit.

RWC and Coolsen working out the route.

In the maze of roads in the area we managed to take a wrong turn somewhere and ended up hitting a gate less than a mile from US95 (our destination). RWC went out to scout past the gate to see if we could get through to the highway. Unfortunately it was a no-go, so we had to back track a bit.

During all the route finding we got to see some nice views. Here's RWC and his wife stopping to enjoy the view down to a ranch in the valley. From here the roads only got rougher and narrow, eventually ending up as overgrown 2 track, but it did finally connect out through to the highway.

Once out to the highway it was slab up to Whitebird. Most of the group bombed up the highway, but RWC was taking it nice and easy since his rear tire wasn't really set up for the high speed slab. There was a bit of confusion about where to eat, which ended up in the two groups getting split for the next section from Whitebird to Cottonwood. I managed to catch up with RWC and Coolsen up on the canyon rim above Whitebird, great views from here.

Eventually the group was reunited on the road into Cottonwood at a stop to look at some old Native American cave dwellings. Along the way the group picked up DesertDog and JimE.

After having a late lunch in Cottonwood we headed on towards Lewiston. The roads were a bit dustier by this point, but the riding and scenery was still great.

Thane waiting with the group at a little reservoir.

Gumland at the reservoir.

and Phil. . .

Dropping down into the valley.

I got got lazy and didn't take any pictures at Hell's Gate park. So that is it for Friday.

Saturday June 6th:

On Saturday there were several different groups that were going to be working their way down to Oxbow, but the IAMC group stuck with Ryan's route, and we also had LegIron and his son join us for the ride down to the B&B. We were one of the last groups to leave the park, but that was fine with us, gave us plenty of time to get packed up.

Leaving the park.

Slab down the Washington side of the Canyon.

Finally onto some gravel.

At a rest stop Phil noticed a little problem with his exhaust side bag.

One of many wounded soldiers from Phil's melting bag over the weekend.

Getting things readjusted.

RWC lounging while Phil gets things strapped back down.

My bike, and Coolsen's with a nice old cabin in the background.

Adrian and Gary waiting out the repairs.

Once we got Phil's bike back together it was a fun ride up out of the Canyon.

Following Phil up the canyon.

Ryan and I really enjoyed bombing up the road up to the canyon rim and the views at the top were great too.

Gary dodging a puddle.

Thane up on the rim.

Give us a wave!

Next Stop was Buckhorn Lookout, which had spectacular views of the Canyon.

Panorama

Me at Buckhorn

and Gary. . .

and Thane. . .

and RWC and Malinda

At Buckhorn RWC discovered his leftover refreshments from the previous night spontaneously emptied themselves all over his top case and its contents. So here is cleaning up what he could.

Some horses on the road after leaving Buckhorn.

After this things got a bit more interesting for me, as I managed to break the chain on my bike, out in the middle of nowhere, going about 60 MPH on gravel. Luckily it didn't decide to wrap itself around the rear hub and lock things up. Even better I was at the back of the pack when it happened, but it wasn't long before Thane was back to check on me. We tried to get the chain back on the bike but it was pretty well thrashed.

At least the view was nice.

While we were working on it a nice couple with a pickup stopped and asked if they could help. After seeing that the chain really wasn't going to be serviceable I took them up their offer to drive me into Joseph.

After hearing what I was going to have to do to get the bike back to Boise, they very kindly offered to drive me into Boise from Joseph that afternoon (250 miles). After hemming and hawwing I took them up on their offer. On our way out of town we came to find out there was a Honda shop in Enterprise, and we managed to catch them about 5 minutes before closing. I got a new chain, so I was back on the road again.

Unfortunately the new chain was VERY tight, so much so that I didn't want to risk running on rough ground to try to get to Oxbow. So I decided to hit slab back home. I made it to Baker City before I decided to call it a night. I am glad I did because Boise had some pretty wicked storms that night which would have been really bad on the bike. From Baker City I took secondary roads all the way back into town, which turned out to be a pretty nice ride. I was sad to miss the rest of the ride, and the get together at Oxbow, but I still had a great time, and look forward to seeing everyone else's photos.

rockhopjohn screwed with this post 06-08-2009 at 11:03 PM
rockhopjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
It was all going so nicely.. till that chain broke off! Superbug looks sad in that pickup

Thanks for sharing this great ride, report and pics with us
Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

It's not Superbug in the back of the pickup, that's RockhopJohn's bike but it looks like Superbug's big brother.

Good addition to the ride report RockhopJohn with part of the Boise groups ride covered.

I'm looking forward to RWC chiming in, he too always has good reports and pictures. Of course there are others I'm looking forward too as well. I'm still sorting through my pictures.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365

The beginings of a fantastic RR.
Thanks for taking us along you guys & gals.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048

This explains what happened to Rocky's luggage.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Rocky was credit card camping like you were, she didn't need all the luggage but she did show up in her formal attire. (those pictures are yet to come.)
Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

I missed the Barnacle Bistro Bash, but got a reasonably early start on Hells Canyon, leaving at about 7:15ish Thursday morning.

After much internal debate over the previous couple days, I had decided to take the direct route, rather than the back roads. So of course when I got to I 205, I blew on across and went up 224 to the Forest Service roads out of Ripplebrook.

This was going to take 3 or 4 hours longer, but I didn't buy a motorcycle to ride the freeway.
Gimme twisties, I gotta have twisties.

That road, 216 took me from Tygh Valley...

... to Grass Valley, where I had the honor of being strafed by a crop duster.

More twisties, some straights, more twi...

As I neared my destination, I made a couple of UFF sightings.

A guy taking his time on a farklified thumper.

And two big twins- a KTM, and maybe a Ulysses. (debueller, is that you and your sis?)

Pleased to meet you both the next day, BTW.

More to come...

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 06-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Keep it coming Mr. Sickle

I'm still working on my pictures and I needed to finish my portion of the Ride Report for the Barnacle Bistro opening.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Hello? Is everybody still recovering? failing to recover?

I'm sure more than three people were there.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
GhostRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I'd like to thank Ladybug for taking responsibility for the organization of this get together. She did a great job.

It was great seeing folks I've met before and meeting all the new people, many of whom I've been reading about from the local area. Great folks.

I decided it would be fun to take the long way to Lewiston from Portland and fortunately there are some fun ways to do it. The first was to turn off SR 14 on the Washington side and take The Dalles Mtn. Road.

The fresh-cut hay and wildflowers near Goldendale are always nice.

Shared some pretty country with new friends from Ellensburg.

Radioman holding the Pug Remover didn't make the pug very happy.

There were lots of fun people doing what they do best...Riding motorcycles and having fun. Looking forward to next year.

Mick
And they roam the world at will."
Robert Service
'08 DR650 Lots of goodies
GhostRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
And two big twins- a KTM, and maybe a Ulysses. (debueller, is that you and your sis?)

I followed these two on into Clarkston, where I stopped to check in at Campground 6. Then I went on over to Hells Gate to join the party.

Hurry up and get that fire lit, Fisherman; the temperature must be down to 80 already.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Friday morning I rolled out of my... uhhh... tent early, to meet up with a group to go on Idarider's guided tour.

The first leg of our journey was up the Spiral Highway.

We saw some pretty country from both paved...

... and gravel roads.

We took in a couple of small towns...

... and got back to Hells Gate in time to party some more.

Thanks for the tour, Roy; it was a good ride.

More later.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Enjoying the reports! Keep em coming! I would add to them, but my camera battery died before I got there.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote