User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Raleigh, NC to Outer Banks

Hi, everybody! Here is my first post of a trip I intended to wrap into one day, but lasted two days. You can call me Voluhzia. I'm from Raleigh, NC. Originally from Kazakhstan. My story will be in present time, so reading is more interesting.

Ok, the plan is to start early in the morning on Saturday to catch 10:30AM ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke Island. That ferry runs only four times per day, the next one would be at 2:00PM. Ferry cost $10 per motorcycle (including rider) and takes about 2+ hours. Ocracoke Island is only around 14 miles long (road wise), and next ferry, from Ocracoke Island to Hatteras runs every hour on winter and is free. Go to www.ncferry.org for schedules if interested, or call 1-800-BY-FERRY.

What I want from my trip? First, just to ride through and enjoy the ride. Second, stop by a couple of lighthouses and find the house that was used to film movie Nights in Rodanthe,starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane, and came out in theaters in 2008.

The entire route is more than 518 miles, shown on the map below. Here is the link: http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/10779

Ok, I'll leave you with this, while I get my pictures together. I am no expert in photography, nor uploading them on the web. It took me about 20 min to figure out how to show the map you see (I hope) above.

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 04:35 PM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Cirbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Now that sounds like a fun ride.....
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Departure and race through the fog

The night before we cames back from NHL hockey game. Hurricanes vs. Blues. We won 2:1. We even looked like we won, you should've seen our faces when we crowled back home.

I set my alarm to 5:00AM. It'll give me time to push SNOOZE button a couple of times, get up, dress up, an other morning stuff. Get a good breakfast with coffee and take of at around 6:00AM.

Well, I don't know how many times I pushed SNOOZE button, but when I actually opened my eyes, it was 6:45AM. Holly Crap!? Now, I need to skip something from "other morning stuff". Ok, I got up, get all breakfast fixed up with coffee, turned on the bike to warm up. When I set my GPS to the first destination - Cedar Island Ferry, it showed arrival at 10:55AM. Shit, now I need to, really, pull the throttle.

Here is the picture of my bike, warming up, while I'm getting my morning cigarette and coffee. You still can see the decorations. I dont take them down until after the old New Year's day on 13th of January.

OK, 7:15AM and off we go. So, driving/riding in North Carolina above 9 MPH of posted speed limit will end up in being pulled over, "license and registration, sir" and "have a good day".

But, if you get cought. It's a rule of 300-30-1! You do it 300 times, 30 time is a "Near Hit", when you see a trooper and slow down before he can see you racing, but there is also 1 time when you get a ticket or end up in a hospital. Yee, right? try to speed up in this kinda weather...

The picture above does not even close represent the fog I was riding through at that early time. I just had a fear slowing down and stopping since you could berely see the light of a car at front of you. I was just wondering if i was seen at all. OK, I admit doing 65 on a 55 limit, 80 on 70 and so on.

Some people smoke time to time, some need to pee. I needed both, plus, I had to get to drink something as well. Here, I stopped to do everything I wanted and needed to do, just outside of Goldsborro...

Hey, look who's on he road, they just missed me, and lucky me

So, 58 miles to Tryon Palace. I was there a couple of years ago. Very nice place. 58 miles to New Bern. I made up some time, my GPS shows arrival at 10:45AM (if you remember, ferry departs at 10:30AM). I really need to push on...

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 06:08 PM
Old 01-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
AaronADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
This is gonns be a good one

AaronADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Sneak Peak - movie Nights in Rodanthe

Here is the poster for the movie I refered to earlier...

It's a love story about separated woman, and sued doctor whose life turned up-side-down when his patent dies during surgery. The story about love and pretty much heartbreaking. If you saw The Notebook, I believe it's the same author, you would understand what I'm talking about. I prefer action types of movies, but time to time take my wife to these kinda sentimental films

...and the house, the movie was filmed, located somewhere in Rodanthe, NC in Outer Bank, on the beach (I mean it, on Atlantic Ocean waters), the waves break under the house.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
Welcome aboard and thanks for your first report

Let's hope it clears up!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Cigar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Getting good
Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Arriving to the first destination

10:30AM, and I'm at...

...some grossery store in Otway, NC 20 min from my destination which already sailed off. Damn. New Bern, Newport, Beaufort traffic killed all my time I made up during the race with the fog. At least the fog cleared. In Beaufort, the sign, Cedar Island - left, Atlantic Beach - right. Hey, we have Atlantic Beach too - it's a city, not just a beach on the Atlantic.

OK, I spoke with a lady at he store, she was from Buxton (which houses the american lighthouse), refered to the movie, and told me that she hasn't seen the movie, but heard about it, and very sorry, because the last hurricane washed the house to the see.... What?!

The picture above is a used-to-be-a-gas-station historic site, admission free, open 24/7. Took picture along the way.

By the way, I'm actually re-typing this post because I accidently pressed the wrong button and everything I put - gone. I'll go grab another beer

By the time I got to Otway, I was all frozed like a chicken. Now I know what I need for the bike to do winter rides. Heating Grips!!! And floor boards for the cruiser! And a spare ass.

OK, I got warmed up, drank a coffee, ate something, checked the map, smoke a couple and moved on with plan B.

Plan B had section 1 and 2, section 1 was to turn around and get the hell home using different route, section 2 did not reccomend actually anything.

OK, let me save this before it's gone again.

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 09:33 PM
Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
cube_zombie
Slave to the Cube

Oddometer: 219
very nice run..I've actually planned to do almost the same ride hitting the ferry's next weekend

I live in Clayton and work in Raleigh...Looking forward to the rest of the report..

My Pics:
http://cubezombie.org/photos
cube_zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Sneak Peak - America's Lighthouse

...so, plan B has two sections, how to choose. Here is the warmer.

The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, known as "America's Lighthouse", is the tallest brick beacon in the World, standing 208-feet high. The substantial structure, built in 1870, is black and white spiral-stripped and the international symbol of the North Carolina coast.

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 06:24 PM
Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_zombie
very nice run..I've actually planned to do almost the same ride hitting the ferry's next weekend

I live in Clayton and work in Raleigh...Looking forward to the rest of the report..
I live in Cary and work in Clayton. Takes 50 min to get to work. 30 min on bike
Old 01-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Plan B, section 2 - Outer Banks

Buckle Up, we gonna ride and see Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Arrival at Cedar Island ferry station

As a good husband (so hope so), I had to call my wife and tell her that I'm going with plan B, which is to board the ferry at 2:00PM, arrive to Ocracoke Island around 4:30PM (yess, baby, two plus hrs relax time), then hurry to another ferry to arrive to Hatteras Island before dark.

So, here I am, with the ferry ticket

Since now I got there too early, I decided to ride back, about a mile to the hunting/fishing/camping/whatever store. I got a snack to enjoy on the ferry and... heated socks. Battery operated, they use D type batteries and last about 7-8 hours. That's what I did. I changed my socks to these "NASA" developed... piece of shit as it turned out later.

While I was smoking by the store I saw a couple of riders going back-n-forth and a V-Strom. That's the one I'm going to get in a couple of months. I'm positive. I have to. I need to.

OK, it's 1:00PM, I better get back to thee station. Here I am the first one, in line 1.

So, to kill one hour, I just walked around taking pictures...

Hey, look, some biker just walked here. hold on a second, it's me making circles already...

The sand is very fine. like dust...

Alright, All Aboard, and here I am, revving and ready. Hold on a second, lane 4 goes first and me, the only one, the very first one in lane Number One, is going last. Ma-an.

OK. Next thread will be more pictures and less talk. We going to sail into the open sea where you will not be able to see shore 360 degree around. A 2.5 hour ride.

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-06-2009 at 06:34 AM
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,075
Nice pics man... You are in my home turf.... My cousin is a deputy on Ocracoke..... Have fun and ride safe.....
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Sneak Peak - Rodanthe House

I just searched the web and found the then taken picture of the house where the Nights in Rodanthe was made

Here is the quote from the same site:

Quote:
The film Nights in Rodanthe, starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane, tells the romantic story of the life-changing and healing power of love. Filmed on location in Rodanthe, North Carolina, Nights in Rodanthe received a helping hand from local residents and businesses throughout the production process. One such business, Midgett Realty, went above and beyond its typical duties as a rental property management company to serve as a much-needed liaison between the filmmakers and the community.