Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #16
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
I am a satisfied owner of the Wunderlich product, however I agree that it's not for everyone. I don't do much muddy off road, more unfinished and occasionally "crap" roads, so I don't have the problem with mud packing between the guard and knobby tires. It does keep road grunge off of the rear shock, though.

My biggest issue with it was installation. It took 4 guys at the local tech day to install the f'ing thing, which involved (among other unsuccessful attempts) boosting the rear end and dropping the rear shock to get at the (loctited) bolt underneath the fuel tank.

Would I do this again? Maybe. This is a nice piece of kit that's not cheap and is challenging to install, but it fits the look of the bike, stays out of the way, and does the job that it claims to do. In the balance it was worth it... except for that one damned bolt.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
markas OP
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
My only problem with the mudslinger is that included the shipping costs from USA it costs 185$ I get the Wunderlich from a Greek e-shop for about 100$ , the price difference is way to much for me. And of course since ,here in Crete, we have no rain from May till October at least there is not so much mud either. And even when it rains the whole island is rocky and the parts with sticky mud are few. (Must write a report about the rides here) Well , i might wait a bit till i get the bike first (soon) and then make an order. Surprised that there are only theese two (or three with the innovative German) options for a needed part.

markas screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 10:30 AM
markas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Ich kann auch ein wenig Deutch sprechen. Und Ich habe gar kein Problem mit diesen Schutz. Billig? Sicher! Aber schön ist es nicht!

And I agree with most of what you guys say. But I don't find $159 too much to pay for what I consider a well-designed piece of gear (unlike the Wunderlich offering, BTW), and am happy to support vendors who make the effort to produce and sell them. The more manufacturers out there willing to take a risk on making some good accessories for our bikes, the more options guys like markas are going to have. Everyone has a price. But I find this repeating "You paid WHAT for that?" theme a little tiresome.

David
Couldn't agree more with you on the 'you paid what for that' sentiment. Wasn't there a time when it was considered rude to ask?

I wouldn't say the Wunderlich piece isn't well designed- maybe over-designed is more like it - it's A LOT more complicated than the Mamo piece. It's nice to be able to say that they both look like they came with the bike - unlike a hand cut piece of sewer pipe.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #19
R75/5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
@Markas
Your request is pending, I'll send you a PM once I have feedback.

@David

Quote:
Ich kann auch ein wenig Deutch sprechen. Und Ich habe gar kein Problem mit diesen Schutz. Billig? Sicher! Aber schön ist es nicht!

And I agree with most of what you guys say. But I don't find $159 too much to pay for what I consider a well-designed piece of gear (unlike the Wunderlich offering, BTW), and am happy to support vendors who make the effort to produce and sell them. The more manufacturers out there willing to take a risk on making some good accessories for our bikes, the more options guys like markas are going to have. Everyone has a price.
I don't have a problem with that statement at all (BTW: Actually impressed by your german).

Quote:
But I find this repeating "You paid WHAT for that?" theme a little tiresome.
Yeah I know. But still that's where we begin to differ. IMHO this question ought to be asked much more often when the word BMW is around, although it is in deed a tiring one.
And I personally ask it regularly in my BMW-stealership (In conjunction with hearty laughter - They somehow don't like me there either ...).
Otherwise we start to be taken for fools (if not already).
Oh I see, not entirely clear what I mean – clickediclick:

Web catalogue price Touratech hand protector F800GS: 75 Euro
Web catalogue price Touratech hand protector LC8: 53 Euro

Difference of the package: Length of two M8 screws and a washer or two.

I think you catch my drift ...

PS: Little consolation – At least we're in good company: Yamaha and Suzuki owners also get the high price. Honda owners the lower one.
R75/5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #20
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
Mudslinger retails for $269AUD here.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #21
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Mudslinger retails for $269AUD here.

from where?

LILGS screwed with this post 07-08-2009 at 06:03 AM
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Anyone tried the Powerbronze Hugger.

I can not find a supplier in the states but I thought maybe someone from the UK may have tried it.

-

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #23
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,792
Just ordered up one of them fan-dangled Machine Art Moto Mudslings. $140 + shipping... ouch!

Seems to be the best option though.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
prittner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hey,

This might work!
Rob
http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/bmw...r-splash-guard

$63.33

prittner screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 02:52 PM
prittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by prittner
Shit.

I just dropped over $140 at Machine Art Moto! I wonder if I can cancel the order?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
prittner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have used their fenders as replacements years ago, they were very good quality!

Rob
prittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
Simonf8gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prittner
+1

I've bought the same thing and I'm very please with it; does not look like aftermarket accessories or something added to the bike.

Someone could also make something decent from a motocross mudflap with some custom brackets, not worth it imo.
Simonf8gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #28
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonf8gs
+1

I've bought the same thing and I'm very please with it; does not look like aftermarket accessories or something added to the bike.

Someone could also make something decent from a motocross mudflap with some custom brackets, not worth it imo.
Hello Simonf8gs

how is this mudguard attached to the bike?

Thanks
thleon is offline   Reply With Quote