Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #46
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
awesome stuff. The subframe really looks small on that bike glad that welder was able to come back and fix it.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #47
Pezza OP
Stop sookin, just ride it

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy
Hi Perry, great report and pics mate. Some of that art work on the Oodnadatta track is awesome isnt it and not what you would expect to find on the side of the road.
Hi Doug, Thanks for the vote of confidence. You're right, they are a classic example of an extremely talented and creative mind. Their remoteness probably also adds to their impact on you when you come across them.
Gotta meet up for a ride again soon too eh ?

My ride across oz http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473814
Pezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #48
Pezza OP

Day 11

I made a little mistake here, the pics of the rocky track on the previous day were actually of the track from Dalhousie to Mt Dare, the stretch I was doing today, not that itís that big of a deal, just for those interested.
So today was an hr and a half ride to Mt Dare, once there I was expecting a pub/roadhouse similar to the ones already experienced.

Well was I wrong, Dave the publican has put an enormous amount of effort into this place and has made it just the right atmosphere inside to welcome a weary desert traveler to the point where it is quite difficult to leave !

After fueling and having a chat to Geoff the barman, I was informed that if I wanted fuel at Finke then donít get there between 12 Ė 2pm as they will be on lunch, this was around 10.30 am, ďno problemĒ I thought, if I leave now I should be there before 12, well after another beer and a chat with another couple of travelers it was after 11, ďwell, may as well stay here for a couple hrs than sit at FinkeĒ thought I.
The Variety Club tagalong group turned up at lunch,

so I sat and waited for a certain white Landcruiser number 15 that had promised me a glass of red if I met up with him, Iím still waiting DRtrev,
I got to talking to one of them over a beer and he told me that there is a good camping spot about 45 km north of Finke, it is where they all camped last night, ďJust look for the big square old ghan water tank, turn in there and go in about 2 km to the CkĒ, sounded bloody good to me, so at 3pm I saddled up and rode off into the sunset.
I had an easy run to Finke and found the southern end of the Finke desert race track just outa town.

Another couple kís down the road the Finke Ė Alice track turned a little sandy, a word of warning to anyone that has never been along this track, if you donít like sand, donít do this track ! Its 100km of this all the way to Maryvale.

I was a little surprised to find that the race track actually parallels the main track nearly all the way to Alice, barring a few detour loops, and that you can ride on it any time.
The race track is on the left and the normal track on the right.

These next couple are of the race track.

At the 45 km mark I was still looking for that tank, 55km, nothing, 65m, nothing, I came across a ruin of an old siding and as it was getting late decided to pull in and see if there was any good camping spots.
There was a 4wd which had already set up camp behind the building who didnít mind me setting up there as well and sharing the fire.

As it turned out this wonderful couple insisted on sharing their sausages and veges for dinner which once again I was grateful for. Itís nice to camp with others sometimes and share the camp fire, but I always have that feeling of imposing after accepting their insistence of sharing their dinner which inevitably is always the case when they find out I am about to have a packet of dehydrated lamb or tin of Irish stew.
The upside to this is that you meet some great people whilst traveling and strangers soon become mates when sharing camp fires.

Pezza screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 04:02 AM
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #49
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
what a wonderfull ride report

looking forward to more...................
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #50
4th Axis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Thumb Ride on!

Fantastic RR Pezza

What are you using for a camera?

4th Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 AM   #51
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Amazing pics and a great report mate

One of the best I've read, keep it comming please
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #52
euskalherria
euskalherria

Oddometer: 452

Fantastic ride report and pics, Thanks for sharing

euskalherria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #53
Bigblu
trail , adventurer.

Oddometer: 23
Excellent report. Do the 625's get the vibes through the bars ?
Bigblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #54
Pezza OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Axis
Fantastic RR Pezza

What are you using for a camera?

Thanks for the thumbs up.
I only take a cheapie with me on the bike as I don't want to risk damaging the good one on the rougher, dusty tracks.
The one that took these shots is a Kodak Z650 with a 10X optical zoom.

Cheers
Pezza

Old 06-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #55
Pezza OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8TY
Amazing pics and a great report mate

One of the best I've read, keep it comming please
Thanks LC8TY, and thank you also for your kind offer of somewhere to stay if I had of come home via the northern route, might just take you up on that next year.

Cheers
Pezza

Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #56
Pezza OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu
Excellent report. Do the 625's get the vibes through the bars ?
Thanks Bigblu,

Depends on what you are used to mate, I had a 950 adv and it felt like a limmo compared to a 640 adv, I couldn't believe how much they vibrate !
The 625 is nowhere near as bad as the 640 but worse than the 950, as you would expect.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #57
Pezza OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiebear
awesome stuff. The subframe really looks small on that bike glad that welder was able to come back and fix it.
Thanks pookiebear,

They are stronger than they look but the trick is to travel as light as possible of course.
The pack you see on top of my bike only has my sleeping bag rolled up with a quarter inch self inflating mattress, 2.2 kg hikers tent, 1x pair thongs ('flip flops' for you yanks ) and a small bag of clothes consistiong of,
1x jeans
2x T-shirts
2x lightweight boardshorts
1x spare riding jersey
1x spare light T-shirt with sleeves cut off for under the jersey
1 pair sneakers
2 pair socks, (1x spare bike socks and 1 pair for sneakers)
1x light jacket. (wear the removable liner from riding jacket under if cold)
3x spare pair jocks

Most of the heavier stuff is in my side saddles.
You have to keep in mind that they are after all still an enduro orientated bike, the design of which still leans towards being 'lightweight'.

Cheers
Pezza

Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #58
Pezza OP

Day 12

Finke is an aboriginal community, and there is another one at Maryvale, half way to Alice, the locals from these two places drive between these towns using the cheapest form of transport available to them, which at the moment seems to be 89-90 model commodores and the same era falcons, the former being more popular.
They drive them until they break and then use parts from another broken one to keep the present one going until it is irreparable then go get another one, and so the cycle goes on.
When these vehicles break down or get bogged, which is often the case on this particular track, they are simply abandoned and maybe returned to a few days later to salvage anything or recover it with the help of a few ‘brothers’.
In this particular case they had abandoned a bogged commodore going south on the wrong side of the track, half way up an incline of a small crest.

Now this would’nt have been a problem for a 4wd traveling along here, nearly all of which would be doing around 40 – 50 kph, not so good for a certain silly bugger on a loaded 625 sxc that had the adrenalin flowing, powering through the sand with knees clamped, head down, bum up, and came hurtling over the crest at somewhere in the vicinity of a dollar ten !!
As stopping in time was just not gonna happen, I had about 30 - 50 meters to switch wheel tracks and move about 2 meters to my right, no the easiest of feats in deep, soft, sand and with side saddles and a pack swinging off the rear.
Though I somehow managed to achieve this, involving more ass than class, I reckon if you had tried to put your hand between the left side saddle and the side panel of the car you would’ve ended up with commodore paint under your fingernails !
A little ways further on I got to thinking that they must carry quite a bit of extra fluids with them for the 50 km plus walk when their vehicles end up in this predicament, then I came across this, of course ! Silly me.

The track leading in to Chambers pillar from Maryvale is quite scenic.

Seems these ‘rock eating’ cows are quite healthy out this way aswell.

A few km’s prior to Chambers pillar are two natural formations which in my opinion are far more picturesque than Chambers Pillar itself.

Chambers pillar has the reputation for it is the formation that can be easily identified from a great distance and was used by the early explorers as a reference point during their inland travels.

The problem with coming in here is that the way out is a return trip of the way in.

The road from Maryvale to Alice is in good condition and seems to be graded regularly.

Whilst getting directions at a shell servo in Alice I got talking to a local bike rider who also used to be a tour guide here, he recommended a backpackers called “Annies place” and gave me the directions.
Once there I thought to myself if it was such a good idea to come straight here as I hadn’t showered for a few days (other than the hot bore bath at Dalhousie) and my riding gear hadn’t seen a washing machine for quite a while either, hence I was a little ‘on the nose’, and was pittying the poor buggers I had to share a room with till I’d cleaned up and done some washing.
I was sitting on the bike outside the backpackers deciding if I should camp at a caravan park first, then come here after I clean up, when the young lady from inside came out to say hello and see what I was up to.
After telling her my predicament she assured me it would be no problem as “They’re backpackers, they all smell !”
So the next 3 days was spent at “Annies Place

For anyone traveling through Alice I can recommend this place, probably the best backpackers I stayed in and has a place out the back to lock up your bike, and when you get there go and see the young lady that came out to see me that goes under the name of ‘Radar’ and turns out to be a bike rider herself.

Pezza screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 07:52 AM
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #59
RockerC
Fuck Piece & Quiet

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildingo
good shit Pez ... did you fly under the Radar
only after a shower.

Greatstuff Pezza - enjoying every word and piccy of this.

I know, itís not a KTM or a Beamer. . . . . . but aye, itís got two wheels & Iím goín
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443648

Out there somewhere!
RockerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #60
Pezza OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildingo
good shit Pez ... did you fly under the Radar
Oh c'mon Scotty, you know very well that the whole objective to "flying under the radar" is to keep a low profile and to go unnoticed !

Besides, I forgot to mention that Radar and her BOYFRIEND (who, by the sounds of it, she is very attached to ) are planning on starting a motorcycle tour business around Alice.