Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #16
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
I don't own the bike, it belongs to a customer. By the owners account it just simply started one day when he was out on a street ride. He wasn't pushing the bike beyond it's limits but he did say it was a very hot day. He claims he did not over heat it and from what I've seen I'd say that's probably true. I don't take a lot from the owners account because he doesn't give the bike much consideration so long as it starts. When he's done he leans it back up against the side of the house.

The original oil that was in the bike was strained through a paint strainer and nothing strainge was in it.

The only thing that I can think of is 1. The crank case is some how getting pressureized and pushing the oil out or 2. A piece of the main case that shields windage from the vent has for some reason broken away. That's why I was thinking maybe the reed valve was stuck open, that might cause to much possative crank case pressure. However, spliting the cases is the option of last resort, I'm hoping someone has seen this before.
I'm not sure where the breather is located, but is it possible that there is a missing baffle in the engine where the breather line exits. That could account for oil blowing out enmass.

I had minor problems with my KLX blowing oil out into the air box, but it was not that bad and it was because the breather line ran down hill so any condensed oil went to the air box. Now I have an uphill routing with a sort of condenser tube to try to get a bit of the heavier mist to condense and flow back. No more drips, still blows off a bit of oil but not like that. The point is I know there's a metal baffle inside the cam cover where the breather exits. Without that, it might blow more oil out than ever.

So, possibly run the breather up hill if it doesn't already. Maybe add a PVC tube stuffed with steel scrub pad stuff (my breather condenser tube idea) and something I've not tried, but KLR guys do, a PCV valve. They use one from some Mazda.

That's all I got...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
jonpcovington
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
This may not solve your problem, but it did mine...

When I was roadracing a 500 yamaha, I had removed the airbox and put a small K&N filter on a hose to the crank vent. It started blowing oil on my rear tire. The Yamahas had what is called an "oil labyrinth" in line between the breather and the airbox. It is made with an inverted cone inside to catch and return any oil blown out of the breather. I put this inline in the breather hose and it solved the problem. You could probably find one in a salvage yard, or maybe even order an NOS piece at a dealer. My Duke II doesn't have one, but I have seen several Hondas that do. including my TLR200.
jonpcovington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
markoLT
n00b

Oddometer: 3
for me is the same problem- my adv 640 blows oil on my rear tyre and don't know the problem why does so. I thought maybe if I changed piston it will be all right, but when I read what you wrote, I'm confused now, no one knows the answer, very strange.
markoLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpcovington
This may not solve your problem, but it did mine...

When I was roadracing a 500 yamaha, I had removed the airbox and put a small K&N filter on a hose to the crank vent. It started blowing oil on my rear tire. The Yamahas had what is called an "oil labyrinth" in line between the breather and the airbox. It is made with an inverted cone inside to catch and return any oil blown out of the breather. I put this inline in the breather hose and it solved the problem. You could probably find one in a salvage yard, or maybe even order an NOS piece at a dealer. My Duke II doesn't have one, but I have seen several Hondas that do. including my TLR200.
That was the function of my little breather condenser tube I wasn't aware of that Yamaha part. Is there a part number and is it an in-line thing? What 500? I don't recall anything like that on my SR.

The breather tube I made was about a 3' long piece of 3/4 PVC capped on each end with two smaller diameter pieces (sized to fit the breather line hose) glued into holes drilled into the side of the caps and tube. I put some of that real coarse steel pot scrubber pad material in the tube before gluing up, figuring the oil mist would pass through and some of the denser mist would condense on the steel mech and flow back down hill to the cam cover. The tube is angled up slightly so as to aid in the flow back down.

The stock breather line went from the cover immediately down to the air box so any condensed oil went to the air box and dripped out the bottom. After the installation of the breather tube my oil drip vanished.

The big single still huffs off some oil through the air box when running mid/high rpm, but that's just a big single with the constant varying crank case pressure. I still want to try that Mazda PCV valve though.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 06-14-2009 at 03:13 PM
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #20
jonpcovington
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
I don't remember about the SR, but I know for sure it was on the XT and the TT.
jonpcovington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,242
Be carefull with putting PCV valves on breather hoses, if it's not made for it you could end up with so much possative crank case pressure that oil starts blowing out the seals or forced into places it doesn't belong (like water pumps).

As far as internal baffles on the XR, it has them but they are cast into the cases and are not removable.

I like the air/oil separator idea but the oil would have to return through the hose it's being blown out of. So I don't think in this case it would work. Also, if oil is going out the hose then it's not going someplace else, so some part of the motor is not being lubricated properly.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Mine did that too...AFTER I sold it to LeeWildwater. Turned out to be a cracked piston. Poor Lee only had his two legged horse to get around town.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
air lock in one of the lines? causing pump to pressurise the crankcase?
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,884
Any news?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Sorry I've been swamped with work and haven't been posting. I suppose I should be greatfull, there are plenty of folks who are not nearly as fortunate these days.

Anyway, the gasket set has been delivered so I'm pulling the motor tonight. By tomorrow I should have it pretty well disassembled and hopefully I will have found a failed O-ring in the oil passage by the vent chamber. I'll post pictures of what I find if someone would be good enough to tell me how. I have a photobucket account but have not bothered to learn how to use it to post pictures here so I could use a little help.

I'm 90% sure it's a bad o-ring but this is one of those jobs where I could realy take a bath if I can't find the problem. Thanks for all the input guys and by all means don't be shy if you have another idea that may help.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #26
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,313
Quote:
Be carefull with putting PCV valves on breather hoses, if it's not made for it you could end up with so much possative crank case pressure that oil starts blowing out the seals or forced into places it doesn't belong (like water pumps).

As far as internal baffles on the XR, it has them but they are cast into the cases and are not removable.

I like the air/oil separator idea but the oil would have to return through the hose it's being blown out of. So I don't think in this case it would work. Also, if oil is going out the hose then it's not going someplace else, so some part of the motor is not being lubricated properly.
XRider, the PCV valve on the KLR application actually induces a small amount of crankcase vacuum and reduces oil consumption at higher rpms. Some guys way smarter than I came up with this idea, and I was skeptical. After reading the whole engineering explanation on this and seeing many, many other KLR riders try it with no negative issues, I did my own version, and it has indeed diminished my oil consumption without question. It's such a simple concept and a cheap application, but with some quatifiable results. I realize this has nothing to do with your situation, but it is a big single crankcase ventilation issue nonetheless.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #27
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
posting pics

Hey man,

1. Sign into you photobucket account

2. left hand of screen...add a new album... for example: "oil everywhere xr650". Hit save under neath where you typed that in.

3. click on the "bulk uploader," run the java thing if your computer prompts you too. The bulk uploader just makes it easier to upload a bunch of pics at once.

4. Choose your folder from the left side of the screen where your pics are at. I keep mine in My Pics, I don't know where you keep yours, but I bet that you do!!!

5. File through on the left hand of the screen and then click on the pics that you want to upload on the right side of the screen. Scroll down a little and hit the big blue upload button.

6. Once upload here is the tricky part. Hit the "return to album" button. Don't add tags, that is annoying and takes too much time. Just get back to the album you created to upload the pics too.

7. Now here is the real tricky part. Just place your cursor over the pic that you want to post. Once you do that a box will pop up. Drag your cursor down that box to the last item called the "IMG code." Drag the cursor to the white box to the right of the IMG code icon, it should start with something like this: [IMGhttp://
Now this is where you do some clicking, remember up to this part on this album page no clicking, just scrolling and rolling.

8. Left click on that white [IMG]http:// and a blue box will pop up saying "copied" go back to the advrider.com thread and right click to paste.

9. This should paste that [IMG]http://adslkfjd;ladsf;ljd crap into your thread creating a picture once you hit the "submit reply" button below where you are typing.

10. This took me about a week to figure out, I was swearing and cursing at my laptop FOREVER! So you are not the only one who has had trouble with this.

11. Now lets see that sweet 650R!!!

-Jack
jgrady1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #28
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Christ, good thing they made it easy to post pictures......

Thanks very much for the instructions, I'll try it out later today. I'm still getting the motor torn down so I don't have any news yet. The owner is coming by to view the progress at 3:00 so I need to get cracking. I'll post up what I find and there will be pictures (Yah!).
Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #29
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:

With the breather tube, the liquid condensation should be heavy enough to flow back in spite of the mist blowing the opposite direction, and remember it will be drawing back too. It cut the oil consumption of the KLX maybe about half. Higher speeds still creates higher consumption, so the PCV valve may be it too.

Mark - klx678
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #30
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,424
was going to ask if htis was a modified breather hose in any way...
if it is you could be in a low pressure spot on the bike cause the oil to syphon out. the long breather hose is there for a reason.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote