ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
ggrjr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Wheels Through Time Museum.

For the time being, Dale is staying in Maggie Valley. Due to "political climate", he is only going to be open, about once a month or so. we made un down there yesterday, and he has a few new bikes, and has moved some things around, but it is all still intact. The mueum will be open today, Monday, and Wdnesday this week, then one weekend in July, and August.
This place is a must se for anyone interested in Motorcycles, in teh US. They have bikes from the late 1800s, through the early 80s. With 2 exceptions everything runs, an could be started up at any time durig your visit. Most are not overly restored show pieces, they ar origianl running time pieces. Where else can you hear a 41 Crocker, Hemi Head run, and see it do a burnout.
Here is their website.

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

and their summer dates.

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/con...tegory/43/137/

I will try and post a few of my photos later.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
"political climate" please explain.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
ggrjr OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
"political climate" please explain.
I really don't know. Dale would not elaborate. I get the feeling it has to do with Maggie Valley, not being as motorcycle fiendly as it once was.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
Old 06-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,047
Wicked heheh

Bible belt...
Sunday morn services...
loud pipes save lives..............

hotels have been kinda funny there also.....I don't like waking up to that alarm clock much either....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
I really don't know. Dale would not elaborate. I get the feeling it has to do with Maggie Valley, not being as motorcycle fiendly as it once was.

Yeah last year I was up there quite a bit and they didn't want to talk about it much, But from what I gather the Chamber of Commerce and the town council has alot to do with it. They are not interested in motorcycles and made a comment something to the effect that "Motorcycles will be here once you are gone". I think they are thinking that Ghost town is the key attraction there. I read somewhere that it closed once again this year.

He might be trying to make a statement with the town by being open on certain days. That way he can get with the hotels in the area and do a comparsion on the number of people there on the days he is open versus the days he is not open. That way he will have some leverage. But I don' know I'm just guessing here.

But for those who have not been. YOU NEED TO GO! If you have any intrest in motorcycles at all, especially older American Iron this is the place for you. If you ask he will start just about any bike there. YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT AT BARBER. I can't find the photo right now but I have one where he let me sit on a Yellow 1940's Indian, (for those who have been there it's the one where the magazine did an aritcle on him) And he let my wife sit on another bike, which I can't remember what it was but right above the bike is a picture of it with 3 women on it all giving a thumbs up. Which she also gave the thumbs up. It is a really cool place to see.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
I read in one of the motorcycle magazines that he was moving to Arizona this year so I'm glad to hear that he's staying (only for selfish reasons.)

NC is anti-motorcycle, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him run out on a rail. Look at what happened to the Honda Hoot. I can't think of a more benign motorcycle gathering and they felt the need to move.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
that he was moving to Arizona this year
Heard the same thing from his mouth last summer. Glad to see that he is still there.

That crocker is the bees knees! The whole floor on side of the museum has been painted black by the rear tire on that thing. I got a video floating around in my computer of it. Last time i was there he let me ride some 46(?) Harley around the parking lot. Awesome!
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,571
Wicked

It is a very COOL place...neat junk!!! I was an Evel Kinevel fan as a kid, they used to have one of his Wheelie bikes there...I quess he still has it. They were at an AHDRA event a few years ago, and they let one of my kids (I work with at-risk/hard-to-reach youth) help load the bike in the trailer when they were loading up, stuff like that MATTERS!!! Support 'em when you can.
Tour buses full of "Gamblers" slip quitely in and out of town without the rucuss of the bikers, they just found a more docile source of income, along with the "civilization" of other areas, there are other places for tourist to go. I remember back in the late '70s and early '80s when the "Outlaw Rod Run" used to take place in Gatlinburg and we used to sleep in lawn chairs next to our cars in parking lots in town. I went to Gatlinburg two years ago on my way somewhere else, and saw absolutly nothing that looked familiar...so I stopped by Floyd Garretts muscle car museum...I did recognize one of the Challengers used in filming "Vanishing Point"
Things change...I'm over 50 but was Born Again in Dec. of 2000, I ain't what I used to be either...and ya'll are better off for it...

"live old, ride old...know JESUS, or no PEACE"

IT 400 screwed with this post 06-15-2009 at 07:57 AM
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
ggrjr OP
Studly Adventurer

Unfortunately, the few ruin it for teh many. They get a pretty rowdy bunch up there for Thunder in the Smokies. Most of what I saw during Thunder, was very similar to what Myrtle beach bike week was 15/ 20 years ago.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,571
GOD delivered me from being a para-military biker? (guns, old Harleys and a crumby attitude). How did I get there, from a kid that grew up riding dirt bikes??? I don't know but GOD knew I didn't need to be there so now I'm back on dirt where I started, roosting and sharing the Gospel...
This is much more gooder...

"live old, ride old...know JESUS or no PEACE"
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,038
Well at least some of us can visit it once more...

The times Highbinder and I would stop it would be closed...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
ggrjr OP
Studly Adventurer

Fom teh flyers they had posted, here are ther open date

Fri- Sunday July 24-26 9AM to 5 PM.
Fri- Sunday Aug 14-16 9Am to 5 PM

Other dates will be posted, on their events page.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Every time I wanted to go, they were closed. From the posted dates this year, I have to work both weekends.

Bummer.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote