User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
GT-STMC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Water Temp guage on KTM 640

Has anybody installed an aftermarket water temp gauge on a KTM 640.
All I have is the "idiot" light, and twice now after 1/2 hour of idling in 100+ *F it has come on. Any recomendations or "how too's" ?
I can't avoid the line, it's just part of my commute home.
GT-STMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
Question

Just curious, why would you let the bike idle for 30+ minutes??
Old 07-20-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
BonneRocker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
No water temp gauge on KTM640...

undefined...according to Schneidercycles.com Mine came on in the woods this weekend for the first time ever. I'm using EngineIce in the radiator. I wondered if it was better to get moving again or just shut it off and wait a few minutes. it only happened once that afternoon and it was only on for 10 seconds or so.
Check out this oil temp gauge I found:
http://www.ktmax.de/indexa.htm
Good luck!
Attached Images

BonneRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
GT-STMC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just curious, why would you let the bike idle for 30+ minutes??
I use the bike for commuting, I work in Mexico and there is usually a line at customs crossing in to the US.

Quote:
Check out this oil temp gauge I found: http://www.ktmax.de/indexa.htm
The Oil Temp Guage was a route I hadn't thought of.
I wonder if and how I can mount both an oil temp and water temp gauge up on the "dash" behind the windscreen.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-STMC
I use the bike for commuting, I work in Mexico and there is usually a line at customs crossing in to the US.
If it was standing still or traveling less than 5 mph for 30 minutes, I would turn off the bike and walk it. Sucks to be you, to be stuck in traffic like that..
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
I had mine turn on for the first time last weekend doing low-speed work in the mountains. Actually, I would shut down the bike for a minute or so, start it back up and it would be on. As soon as it was running for ten of fifteen seconds, it would wink out. So I attributed it to some kind of heat soak issue on shutdown when coolant flow stops. I haven't had it turn on yet while running.

The sensor for this is, I believe, at the thermostat, not the one at the bottom of the right radiator which controls the aux fan on the left radiator. This is on a 2000 Adv R - I think the later ones have a temp gauge. If there was a way to retrofit the gauge, I'd like to hear about it - I don't like not having anything but the idiot light.

FWIIW, I'm running the Honda pre-mixed coolant.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
All I have is the "idiot" light, and twice now after 1/2 hour of idling in 100+ *F it has come on. Any recomendations or "how too's" ?
Not to be an ass or anything, but how would a temp guage help you? I have a temp guage on my '02 Adv, but the only thing that REALLY matters is the warning light. The manual contradicts itself saying it's OK to ride when the light comes on in one place then saying cut it off in another. I've had the light come on a number of times (100+ & stuck in traffic) but have yet to have a boil over/loss of coolant. So far, it seems to take about 10-15 minutes to cool. Really sucks to sit on the side of the freeway in the friggin' scorching heat waiting for the bike to cool.

I mounted an aux fan on the right radiator (old PC fan) but it really doesn't pull enough air. I'm trying to get a 'real' right side fan, but at this time I haven't got it done. Hopefully that will prevent future overheating.

Also, the oil temp guages are just a different dip stick. Hard to read while riding

Best advice is to shut it off and walk the bugger.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
If I'm stuck in traffic, I normally shut it down in Summer. Creeping border traffic can be so strategy-minded (thinking Tijuana) you might not have that option. How many lanes are you dealing with?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
what's the policy?

Quote:
I was curious about that ... what is the policy for bikes lanesplitting to the front of the border line? I crossed the border into the US at Tecate on my 640 Adventure a few months back - really long line & I just asked a traffic cop if I could split to the front because the bike was overheating - he actually radio'd the other officers down the line to wave me on! Pretty cool (no pun intended).

The US officer seemed alright with it also - was just curious about the bike.
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #10
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
also ...

I should mention - you can't walk the bike at the Tecate crossing into the US - it's all uphill. Bit too steep of an angle to walk a fully loaded bike up that hill.
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Just some ideas off the top of my head. Any 12volt coolant gauge with the proper adapter should work, though it may not look pretty. Often the adapters for the sending unit can be had locally, if not TT sells that stuff for their IMOs, the TT IMO is a very nice albeit expensive option, with temp and tach, etc.

My suggestion would be to replace the radiator protectors with a screen unit like used in the Dakar, and install a manual switch for the cooling fan. Turn the fan on prior to entering the line. If need be put it on a charger overnight, with a quick disconnect plug this is an easy thing to do if you can park close to the charger.

(It might be worth trying something along the lines of Redline coolant and a cooling additive, antifreeze works best at very specific ratios.) If you do end up shutting it down and restarting it, I would try and use the kickstarter as much as possible. Hope this helps. Mack
Old 07-21-2004, 12:05 AM   #12
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 261
A lean idle mixture commonly causes the overheating. Richen your idle circuit, and the fan should be able to keep up.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:54 AM   #13
GT-STMC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to be kind of quick (supposed to be working), but Thanks, I'll start with an off the counter gauge, and different coolant.

Walking the bike isn't an option at the Pharr Texas crossing, it's level ground (mostly), but when traffic does move if your not right up there with the vehicle in front of you the car from the next lane cuts in...., I'd never get to the front.

Lane splitting is illegal here, and since these are mostly the same commuters I see daily, it's not something I'd want to do "regularly".

Next question, Mechanical or Electrical ? (leaning Electrical)
Old 07-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #14
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Best one I've seen so far is the SPA designs DG200 series LCD with alarm function + dual channel eg temp and pressure or temp and temp? High quality bit of UK made gear - expensive USD250 ish
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote