Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Tompound OP
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 364
TAT In Sept.

Howdy all,
Planning a TAT trip from ARK- OK depending on if i do the ARK section before then, have already done the TN and MS sections twice this year. I am lucky enough to work on the road so I have a month to get to basicly to LA. Planning on doing the TAT to the coast and then turning south following the coast until to norcal and maybe do shasta going to yuba city to see a 71 sporty i bought then back to the coast and south to santa ynez. just don't know if it will be snowing in the mountains yet. trying to be prepared. And if there is anyone that wants to tag along look me up maybe we could ride part or all.
Riding a 07 KTM 450 EXC-R. Any advice will be welcome! Thanks
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
beaulauber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Maybe we will bump into you out on the trail. Myself and 2 others are planning on starting in trinidad, co on sept 5th. we have 2 weeks off from work to make it as far as we can and get home by the 21st.

The thing i am most torn on is the right riding gear to take. I was thinking mesh with liners and then having heated vest and gloves on backup. I will be on a 950, so trying to pack as light as possible, but i don't want to suffer.

I would just hate to be riding across nevada in my winter gear. not enjoyable.

I have read a couple other RR's in sept, and it seems like they have been having good luck with weather. I didn't see snow mentioned in any of them.
beaulauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Tompound OP
M.M.S. Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaulauber
Maybe we will bump into you out on the trail. Myself and 2 others are planning on starting in trinidad, co on sept 5th. we have 2 weeks off from work to make it as far as we can and get home by the 21st.

The thing i am most torn on is the right riding gear to take. I was thinking mesh with liners and then having heated vest and gloves on backup. I will be on a 950, so trying to pack as light as possible, but i don't want to suffer.

I would just hate to be riding across nevada in my winter gear. not enjoyable.

I have read a couple other RR's in sept, and it seems like they have been having good luck with weather. I didn't see snow mentioned in any of them.
We will not be far from eash other that is for sure are you sticking to the TAT or do you have an alternate route home? thanks for the info keep me posted I will let you know when I leave (if you don't mind )
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
beaulauber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
We are going to take interstates home. Just wanting to ride the TAT as far as possible.

Are you camping? or mainly hotel?

We are going to shoot for both. Try to camp more if possible. Depends on how worn out we get. We said that on the CDT trip too though, and we camped once. lol.

Yeah, definitely keep in touch.
beaulauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Tompound OP
M.M.S. Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaulauber
We are going to take interstates home. Just wanting to ride the TAT as far as possible.

Are you camping? or mainly hotel?

We are going to shoot for both. Try to camp more if possible. Depends on how worn out we get. We said that on the CDT trip too though, and we camped once. lol.

Yeah, definitely keep in touch.
I will be camping, like you said depending on how worn out I get I was planning on camping 4-5 days get a room, camp 4-5 days get a room, something like that, weather depending also! As the time gets closer to take off I will PM my info to you. thanks tommy
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
TAT in Sept.

Tommy,

I have been all over the mountains of Colorado on my '07 525 EXC in early Sept. and it was great for weather, but cold at night higher up. The TAT sounds like a great idea at that time of the year. There is also a commonality between your 450 and my 525 simplifying tools and repairs which made me think that this might be a good time to head to Oregon. Keep me posted on your departure date. I'm in Lawrence, KS and thinking about it....

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Tompound OP
M.M.S. Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Tommy,

I have been all over the mountains of Colorado on my '07 525 EXC in early Sept. and it was great for weather, but cold at night higher up. The TAT sounds like a great idea at that time of the year. There is also a commonality between your 450 and my 525 simplifying tools and repairs which made me think that this might be a good time to head to Oregon. Keep me posted on your departure date. I'm in Lawrence, KS and thinking about it....

Stu
Stu, Thanks for the info I want to leave the first week of sept. but I will not be returning the same way as I am meeting up with the tour in southern california and will be trucking the bike around cali then into canada. you are well come to ride along will be camping and riding alot to make sure iI get to my destination.
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Old 06-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Tompound OP
M.M.S. Tommy

Tat

GOT THE MAPS TODAY!!! WOW! can not wait to hit CO and west! looks awesome. does anybody use the scroll chart maps? or do you just map it on the gps? this what i did for the TN, MS, sections and just used my gps for nav another guy had the maps, I know i will need to bring the maps. but is the scroll map necessary?
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Old 06-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
juniorsktm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Were going all the way and we are taking the maps but hope to not have to mess with them. As for the roll charts, negative, I dont see these being used at all. Im not even setting up a roll chart holder. GPS and maps only.....

BTW, we leave tellico in july 1st. If you want to do some of it, come tag a long we're not stopping until the Pacific

2 950's
Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompound
GOT THE MAPS TODAY!!! WOW! can not wait to hit CO and west! looks awesome. does anybody use the scroll chart maps? or do you just map it on the gps? this what i did for the TN, MS, sections and just used my gps for nav another guy had the maps, I know i will need to bring the maps. but is the scroll map necessary?
I will be starting at the UT CO border on Sep 21st heading west so you will be in front of me by a few days. I plotted the maps on mapsource and it was easy until NV and OR. AK, OK, CO and most of UT work great on the GPS. Good luck and I will look for you tracks out west.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Tompound OP
M.M.S. Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
I will be starting at the UT CO border on Sep 21st heading west so you will be in front of me by a few days. I plotted the maps on mapsource and it was easy until NV and OR. AK, OK, CO and most of UT work great on the GPS. Good luck and I will look for you tracks out west.
Are you doing the whole thing to OR? Have fun maybe we will see you on the coast.
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompound
Are you doing the whole thing to OR? Have fun maybe we will see you on the coast.
That is the plan and we will be looking for ya.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #13
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,339
There is a group of us NC'ers doing the TAT in Sept. too.

I know of Myself and Tarheel Wheeler are going and the others keep going in and out.
I think we are leaving the first week of Sept.

I am getting egg cited.......

We are going from Middle NC all the Way to Denver.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
There is a group of us NC'ers doing the TAT in Sept. too.

I know of Myself and Tarheel Wheeler are going and the others keep going in and out.
I think we are leaving the first week of Sept.

I am getting egg cited.......

We are going from Middle NC all the Way to Denver.
Have fun, how long will you be on the road?
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
Have fun, how long will you be on the road?
I dunno, I think we can do it it 7 days...easy, we are utilizing other methods of the return trip
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote