ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
el_guapo OP
The Lone Ranger

Oddometer: 8
Iron Butt Run feeler: Raleigh NC

So I wanna do a Iron Butt run this fall (2009) out of Raleigh NC. Nobody I know would even come close to being able to do this and I usually ride alone anyway so I thought here would be a good place to find some other crazy folks who would like to accompany me. I am putting this out here now so hopefully I will have plenty of time to pick up a few other people who would like to make the run and start making plans. Date is to be determined but I am thinking one of those nice fall days when the temp is perfect, right now I am thinking October. Route is also TBD but I am thinking up into VA, MD, PA and across and back down through the mountains. Keep in mind this is gonna be mostly interstate cruising since you gotta do the 1000 miles in one day. Any kind of bikes are welcome on this run, so long as you can easily maintain 70 mph on the highway and can stand to ride it for the 15+ hours with very minimum stopping.

Anyway if you are interested then post up in this thread and we can start to discuss and make solid plans. Please be honest with yourself on if this is something you can take on or not because once we start the run if you crap out we will have no choice but to leave you behind. More information on the general rules, etc... can be found on the Iron Butt website:

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/about.cfm

Also I would love if I could find a current Iron Butt(s) in the Raleigh area to sort of "mentor" the ride and be our witnesses for the run, so if you are one and wouldn't mind witnessing for us please post up. Further I would like to plan a keg of beer and cookout for everyone involved after the run.
el_guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,882
Sounds good but my Sept, Oct, Nov are all pretty well booked. I am interested just the timing is bad. For a possible loop, look at

Start Raleigh and then east on US 64 up to I 95 to richmond, I 64 over to Charlotteville, I 81 down to Kingsport, I 26 down to Asheville and all the way to Columbia SC,I 20 across to I 95, I 95 back to I 40 and Raleigh. right at 1000 miles. and even google directions say right at 16 hrs so under 15 should be possible. I used the fairgrounds as the start/end point

"Driving directions to Hillsborough St & Blue Ridge Rd, Raleigh, NC
1,000 mi – about 16 hours 2 mins"

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
It's not as bad as you think. A lot depends on the bike you are riding too. I did it on a Kawasaki W650 and had no problems. I am in Richmond and what I did was head south on 95 and then west at Florence and across into TN. Then up 81 to northern Virginia and back south to Richmond. If you leave now you can be back in time for lunch tomorrow.

P.S. Plan on one stop to get an hour or two of sleep.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
el_guapo OP
The Lone Ranger

Thanks for the suggestions. That route sounds nice, I was thinking something along those lines myself.

For the ride I was planning to leave around 5:00 AM and hopefully get back by 10:00 or so at night. I have done a few 500 mile days with no problems and am confident that I can knock the 1000 out. I am thinking that it would be a little safer and more fun if I can get a handful of riders out on the trip especially for all that highway riding. I will probably be riding a Electra Glide unless I can get ahold of a Wing or a sport touring bike of some kind for the ride.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
SpeedyG942
Gas Man

Oddometer: 454
add some flare to it

I agree....1000 miles isn't THAT bad to ride. But why ride it in a simple loop? ....just to say you rode it? Add some flare to the trip- Let's roll to Biloxi...just under 800 miles & 12.5 hours. We then play the games a bit, enjoy a beer & fellowship , get some rest and then capture the remaining couple hundred miles up in time for the 24 hour period to mark the official iron butt . From there you can boogie home or spend the next night in the mountains.
just my thoughts............

Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
2400 W Terminal Blvd
Morrisville, NC 27560
Biloxi, MS

• Total Estimated Time: 12 hours 28 minutes
    Total Estimated Distance: 784.90 miles
SpeedyG942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,156
suggestions: no more than three bikes. find a route out and back. less paperwork. you MUST document the corners. find the route with less traffic, all slabs have it. time rush hours and plan around. study the IBA rules and know them it's would be a bitch to make the ride and screw up the paperwork. and people have done just that.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG942

Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
2400 W Terminal Blvd
Morrisville, NC 27560
Biloxi, MS

• Total Estimated Time: 12 hours 28 minutes
    Total Estimated Distance: 784.90 miles
hell, just turn around and get a burn burner 1500 gold

Raliegh to Nashville and back would do the trick A quick look is 1074 miles, downtown to downtown. keep it simple.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
el_guapo OP
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG942
Let's roll to Biloxi...just under 800 miles & 12.5 hours. We then play the games a bit, enjoy a beer & fellowship , get some rest and then capture the remaining couple hundred miles up in time for the 24 hour period to mark the official iron butt . From there you can boogie home or spend the next night in the mountains.
just my thoughts............
I may be down for something like that, but when I start the ride I want to make sure it is finished 100% before I do any major stopping, drinking or the like. Trying to stop and party in the middle would greatly increase the chances of messing up something or missing the deadline.

I know it is somewhat of a boring concept to ride 1000 highway miles in 24 hours just to say you did, but that is what keeps just anyone from doing it.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
el_guapo OP
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
suggestions: no more than three bikes. find a route out and back. less paperwork. you MUST document the corners. find the route with less traffic, all slabs have it. time rush hours and plan around. study the IBA rules and know them it's would be a bitch to make the ride and screw up the paperwork. and people have done just that.
Yea, I will know the rules like the back of my hand before I take off. I was thinking a Sat would be best to avoid major traffic. I also like the three bike suggestion.

Keep up the tips and suggestions Iron Butts, I appreciate it!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_guapo
Yea, I will know the rules like the back of my hand before I take off. I was thinking a Sat would be best to avoid major traffic. I also like the three bike suggestion.

Keep up the tips and suggestions Iron Butts, I appreciate it!!!
that's all I have it's the same I tell all first timers
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
GreatScott
Back Road Adventurer

Oddometer: 9

Also pick up the book "Going the Extra Mile" by Ron Ayers - it will help you understand time management vs. speed + alot of little tips
1k in 24hrs is fairly easy even if the weather turns bad

Would love to join you but doing a BBG3000 in Sept.

GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
oaxatwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
??

And the point is?
oaxatwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Each rider rides at his / her own pace. When you ride in a group then you are forced to ride at some one elses pace or they must ride at yours. Alone you can rest or ride when you are ready. Much less stress too.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
For what its worth I find I prefer to do long rides solo, I also find 1k miles a day to be no big deal (even if you stick mostly to backroads so long as they aren't terribly congested or enforced). I've done ~4 1k mile days (and a bunch of 800-900 mile days), but they were mostly because I needed to get somewhere.

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #15
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider929
P.S. Plan on one stop to get an hour or two of sleep.
Sleep? He is only going 1000 miles. Stopping for a decent meal is enough rest to keep going.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote