ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,834
Tom: I added a link to the above post.

Upgrade the B card to a G so you have G on both ends - I assume its in a laptop.. you can go get a USB G card in a dongle format for around $30.

Also note: Try moving it around. Depending on interference in the walls & such you'd be amazed how much it can vary.

I recently did a similar thing for two clients who's houses were back to back. They had put the router in the closest window and it wouldn't reach.

I went and stood in the yard with my iphone's wi-fi signal app running and had the client move the router all around in the back room of the house.

The strongest signal turned out to be in one certain location up high on a book shelf.. no where near the window
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Geek:

Thanks. Is it possible to just plug in an Ethernet cable and run it under or over the ground to his house? I could run it along the fence over to his property. I'm just not sure how long you can run cable w/o losing all the signal.

If it wasn't for the fact that: 1) He's a great guy, 2) He has a backhoe, and 3) He's my plumber... I wouldn't help him out. But it seems like it's a great idea to split the cost as we're not there all that much.

Oh, BTW, we don't even encrypt. So we're a free hotspot.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Tom: I added a link to the above post.

Also note: Try moving it around. Depending on interference in the walls & such you'd be amazed how much it can vary.

I recently did a similar thing for two clients who's houses were back to back. They had put the router in the closest window and it wouldn't reach.

I went and stood in the yard with my iphone's wi-fi signal app running and had the client move the router all around in the back room of the house.

The strongest signal turned out to be in one certain location up high on a book shelf.. no where near the window
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Assuming you are using 100mb basic 10baseT on a twisted pair it should do 100 meters (300 feet).

You can buy range extenders that make it go significantly further but I'd imagine that's plenty for your project.

You'll want to get an "outdoor friendly" cable...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,939
My new iphone 3Gs shows up tomorrow, I may bug you for tricks.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,016
I used to be an AMD guy...

My Current rig that I built -

Gigabyte GA-965p Mobo
Intel 2.4 ghz Dual core CPU, overclocked to 3.2 ghz
2gb mem
Fanless Gigabyte 8600 GT 256 mb video card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound
Sony SATA DVD RW drive
WD Raptor 76 gb OS hard drive
4 other hard drives
Antec Nine Hundred Case

802.11G wireless network
Asus VW266H Black 25.5" LCD Monitor

I'll be going to new mobo, cpu, mem and drives when I transition to Windows 7 (I'm a Beta tester too).

XP works so dang good though, going to be tough move for me.

If you are looking for a great forum for hardware geekness, I recommend, Hard Forums or Overclockers.com Forums.

Want PCLInuxOS? Here's a guide I wrote a few years back, still has some great info -

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=453522

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,834
Thanks for the tips Geek!

Quote:
1) The computer is a refurb... .
True. But I've bought several computers via eBay sellers (always from sellers with tons of ratings) and have never had a problem, but there's always a first. Newegg, Dell, and Amazon have very good pricing but I've consistently been able to find equivalent computers for much cheaper on eBay. But sometimes ya have to go with the manufacturer. The last one I bought, Dallice's thinkpad X200, came directly from Lenovo. It took nearly 3 months to deliver. Even the manufacturers are sometimes difficult to deal with.

Quote:
2) Keep in mind that the 28" monitor is doing 1920x1200 resolution. That's the same resolution as a 24" monitor (i.e. bigger pixels i.e. grainier image).
This very useful info, thanks. I hate grainy because I do a bunch of spreadsheet, document, and photoshop type work. I'm moving to do a bit of video editing now too, so grainy 'aint gonna cut it. Guess I'll keep shopping.

Quote:
3) HDMI output - what are you planning on doing with it?
Feedback from owners indicate that the large screen monitors (like the Costco 28") shouldn't be connected via VGA ports. Supposedly you get much better image quality on HDMI ports. I figured I'd need to upgrade the graphics card anyway (photo, video, movies, not really games) so wanted to make sure I had the better output port.

Quote:
4) I have a client in Boulder with that exact netbook. It's a nice little unit. The biggest thing with netbooks is to physically play with it first and see how it works for *YOU*.

Good point. Given the fit issues, plus my lack of time to go shopping, I'll probably just hang onto my Thinkpad for my upcoming road trip. I can always replace with a Netbook when I have time/money.

There's no rush for any of this actually, given that the real estate market has slowed dramatically in Boulder. May was the 5th month in a row with sales volume off ~40%. So this purchase could be anytime in the next 6 months, or maybe even longer if my T30 survives the road trip.

Anyone shopping for a house in Boulder? Big discounts above $1MM!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #22
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
IMHO the best hardware for running Windows7 (bootcamp, parallels, vmware)... Or even OS X!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
IMHO the best hardware for running Windows7 (bootcamp, parallels, vmware)... Or even OS X!
LOL...running the same thing and have been super tickled with it!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #24
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,834
In order to access the MLS, I need a computer running Windows. Parallels and XP, Vista, or Windows 7 might work but I haven't located a test computer yet.

The Apple route also is 2x the price of PC. I'm not sure I can justify that.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo
My Current rig that I built -

Gigabyte GA-965p Mobo
Intel 2.4 ghz Dual core CPU, overclocked to 3.2 ghz
2gb mem
Fanless Gigabyte 8600 GT 256 mb video card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound
Sony SATA DVD RW drive
WD Raptor 76 gb OS hard drive
4 other hard drives
Antec Nine Hundred Case

Nice setup Hondo

My current machine is an AMD FX-53 64bit setup which I built a few years ago (top of the line everything then - its a middleweight contender now)... but I just ordered:

- Intel Quad Core i7 processor overclocked to 4000mhz using a V8 cpu cooler

- Asus P6TDv2 overclocker motherboard (this thing rocks - even has matrix raid which allows you to run multiple raid configurations off the motherboard - to the point of having different types of raid on a SINGLE set of disks! ) - it also has dual gigabyte ethernets, 8 channel dividable sound, tripple PCIe channels for 3 video card SLI, etc

... another cool thing is this motherboard also has "Express Gate" built onto a chip on board so you can turn the machine on and in less than 5 seconds have access to web browsing, email, skype, chat & your photos - without booting the operating system! Great for quickly replying to an email or looking at google maps before you go out the door

- 12 gigs of DDR3 1600 Ram - 6, 2gig sticks

- EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2gig video card

-4 10,000RPM raptors in a raid 5 array as primary OS/boot

-2 7200RPM firmware 7200.12 (you don't want 11) - Terrabyte Barracudas in raid 1 array for storage

-1000 watt Corsair HX modular PSU - this thing ROCKS (the power supply cost more by itself than Dell's entry level computer system ) - I think I'm more excited about this power supply than anything else in the system. With the modular cables you just plug in the leads you need, and they are really nice thin leads - great for airflow If you've ever tried to really milk a system for maximum OC performance - you know how critical a quality PSU is to stability.

-I'm a fan of the Antec 900 case too s - I was going to go with the Antec 1200 on this project (which is similar in price to the cooler master HAF (high air flow) line) but today when I logged in NewEgg had a 24 hour sale active on the HAF932 case - it was $20 bucks off PLUS free shipping (i.e. another $35 off) so it was too good to pass up. I'm a fan (pun!) of the big, low speed fans as they tend to be quieter - and it's ready for liquid cooling when I SLI another GTX285 card into it a year or two from now as games require. I currently have two other top'of'line full tower aluminum thermaltake cases with a dozen fans in each and they are too damn loud when they load up (and I don't feel like dropping the coin on 24 quiet fans).

...Also orderd a bunch of random crap like a sata BlueRay burner, multi card reader, copy of Acronis True Image, a ide/eide/sata USB service interface, etc, etc.

Now I just gotta wait on the big brown truck(s) to arrive (I ordered it all in 3 different orders - what are the odds it'll all show up not DOA?)

Geek screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 07:49 PM
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #26
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie
In order to access the MLS, I need a computer running Windows. Parallels and XP, Vista, or Windows 7 might work but I haven't located a test computer yet.

The Apple route also is 2x the price of PC. I'm not sure I can justify that.
Not to mention Apple has nothing even in the league of the hardware I just ordered. I'll be an Adobe CS4 premiere video editing fool with this beast (not to mention turning up every video game's settings to max). I'll have OSX running in a VM on my new box (along with several other operating systems) just like I do now - so I can help clients with specific OS related issues.

That said, the unibody Macs are definitely one of the nicest laptops ever made by anyone; Apple's industrial design team is second to none.

As for Parallels: VMWare Fusion is a better product in my experience - and it would work. I have clients who log on to Delta's "proprietary windows only" servers with VMWare - a net based server cannot tell it from a genuine windows box. ... then there is always Boot Camp. My Dad has a 24" imac and uses it entirely as a windows machine... he doesn't even know how to use the Mac side - he just liked the formfactor for his desk

Geek screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 07:24 PM
Old 06-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #27
Hondo

Muhahaha!

Lemme know when you get it up & running- I wanna ride up & check it out!

I think I'll be going in that direction myself, but setting it up with a multiple boot, Windows 7, Xp and PCLinuxOS. Xp for sure.

That system is gonna increase your power bill and room temps !

Also, a great site for extreme hardware cooling & other badness - SVC - http://www.svc.com/cpu-lga1366.html

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
Hondo

One other thing - check out my 25.5 inch monitor at Newegg Geek - it is awesome -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236047

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #29
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I multiboot my current AMD64 into Win 7 / Vista / XP / Ubuntu.... but I think I'm going to configure the new machine for Windows 7 64 bit ultimate only - and then run all the other OS's (including OSX) in Virtual Machines.

I think there are about 100 overclocking/hardware websites for every motorcycle website (and there are LOTS of those)

Anandtech and Tomshardware are two that I use extensively (among a dozen others).

Geek screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 08:23 PM
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #30
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,843
Geek, I have a question for you:

I have a Dell desktop, it's about 2 yrs old, runs fine for the most part. It came with a CD burner which used to work fine. But now when I'm on itunes and I want to burn a disc, I get an message saying "4280 Error" and I cant burn anything. Period.

i've tried all the iTunes help stuff, tried everything I can try. I just dont know wassup, but I've found I'm not alone with this issue. It's ahppened to others when they upgrade to the latest iTunes versions.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote