ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #76
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet123
Just got my new motorcycle-approved handheld
Ever see what kids can do with an abacus after training? Especially cool is the "ghost abacus" calculations towards the end...

WAY faster than flipping dip switches on a circa 1976 Altair...
Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #77
jet123
Using all my gears

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Ever see what kids can do with an abacus after training? Especially cool is the "ghost abacus" calculations towards the end...

Sumbich

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #78
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

First computer I actually owned was an Apple II+, ~1981. Guess I started liking Apple's early...

Upgraded to my first 'Macintosh' ~1984

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #79
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,913
I just gave away a complete with software original macintosh classic II.........
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #80
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,624
I worked for Apple Canada in the late 80s... right when the first Powerbooks came out; 'twas a fun time.

OCZ just announced these RAM stick coolers. Might be the perfect thing when upping the voltage during an overclock They haven't announced pricing yet though
With 12 gigs ramped up I think this might be in order for my new machine.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #81
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I got a huge speed improvement with RAID-0, but my drives were pretty slow to start with (I've had them for a while - didn't buy them for this rig specifically). They are enterprise drives so pretty reliable and I back up to the 1tb drive (including a boot sector), so if the RAID array goes down I'll at most loose the stuff since the last backup (I've been to lazy to find something like second copy to do auto backups) and my really critical stuff is also on my thumb drive and my laptop.

These speeds will look really sad compared to the raptors, but for old enterprise drives I'm happy.

For cooling I tend to like passive heat sinks on small parts like ram and then a few large fans to keep the air moving around in the case - seems to be quieter that way. I'm not pushing my ram hard though because the E5200 has an insane multiplier so I can get a good clock with pretty low fsb. The ram I have has the stock heat spreaders which seem to be sufficent for my purposes (I'm still at stock volts (2.1) for the ram). I can see where OC'ing a really high FSB/low multi processor would require some seriously fast ram though.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #82
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Good point on the Raid 0 - the 2-3% gains I was talking about is over an already extremely fast drive. I can see where the gains would be more so when the drives aren't as quick.

The i7 architecture doesn't have a Front Side Bus any more. Unless you buy an i7 extreme, your multiplier is locked so you've kinda gotta overclock it backwards (no problem with the right motherboard). You now use the bclock (or base clock) in place of the FSB.

For the OCZ 1600mhz ram I'm putting in.. it looks like somewhere around 1.66 volts is the sweet setup (DDR3). All the reviews I've seen where that voltage is working well have been 6 gig (i.e. a large gap between the chips). I'm going to monitor closely the ram temp with 12 gigs jammed in there. I haven't decided yet if I want to really fiddle and play with the various latency that the new architecture lets you delve into (apparently with a memory timing of 8-8-8-24 you can hit 1800+mhz ) ; talk about a can of worms
Old 06-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #83
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

So my question...

I've had data centers that could consume as much CPU, memory and disk resource that would physically fit. But that was due to huge, redundant databases, lots of analytical reporting and tons of distributed users in a corporate environment.

And I certainly understand how somebody who edits tons of digital video for a living (or as a serious hobby) could also consume beaucoup compute resources...

But what exactly are you guys doing that you need, -or even notice-, ultra fast raid drives & hundreds of gigaflops of CPU resource? Do today's games use that much resource? Other applications?

I certainly understand it just as a hobby for fun, or building it yourself to develop the knowledge to help your company or clients if you are in the industry, but as an individual user, I'm just wondering if you really can put that hardware to the test....
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #84
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Good question Paul.

For me various parts of the system are for various things I do.... (that and to a certain extent when you need to go high end for one aspect, you need to not bottle neck it with something else...)

1)Video Card & overclocking: Even the strongest machines available currently cannot peak out the toughest games (like Far Cry 2) with everything turned up all the way - so the easy answer is yes: the more hardware you throw at a game the better it looks and the smoother (high fps) it runs. Especially if you get up into 2560 resolution. This is the reason for me OC'ing the cpu and the kick ass video card... when I have time I like to play games with buddies online.

2)Ram/64bit: I run a lot of high end software. Being able to run it concurrently is a big time saver for me. Especially if I'm working on a marketing project for a client that has me running Adobe Creative Suite 4 editing video, graphics, and html simultaneous. Being able to have Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Imageready and Dreamweaver all at the same time is a huge time saver for me (I don't want to think about how much time I've wasted shutting one down, loading the other, finding an error, shutting it down, reloading the first, repeat). This is a big reason I'm going 64 bit with 12 gigs of ram (you need a 64 bit architecture to access more than 4gb of ram as you know).

3)Drive Performance: When I make videos like J's underwater rhymes or Ted's tent killer videos, currently they take hours to compile (as I usually create a DVD quality version for myself and then have to recompile/compress for online sharing with friends). I do it because I enjoy the creative process (and because it keeps me sharp with the toolset for work). This new machine better damn well be able to compile stuff realtime - The 10K raptors are an absolute must when you are working with 100+ gig temp files in premiere.

....there is also a subplot for me. Every time we have a new generation of hardware I like to get my hands on it and wring its neck so that I can experience the problems/glitches/features that my clients will be calling me about over the next few years. Its kind of nice that the new i7 architecture is coinciding with windows 7 release so I can kill two birds with one stone in that regards.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #85
Mortis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
If you want some serious fast external drives for video editing(and have some serious coin burning a hole in your pocket) I can highly recommend the G-Technology G-Speed eS SATA raids.

We got 4 of the 4TB ones to use for mobile editing, but being the IT geek I am I hooked all four up to a 8 Core Mac Pro to see what kinda speed we could get. pretty amazing

Any one tried comparing an i7 to the Nehalem for doing things like video compiling, conversion? I'm curious how the i7's stack up

Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #86
Geek OP
oot & aboot

600 megs a second!! - those scsi/SAS speeds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis

Any one tried comparing an i7 to the Nehalem for doing things like video compiling, conversion? I'm curious how the i7's stack up
Typo?
i7 IS the Nehalem architecture. The first Core i7 processor based on Nehalem was codenamed "Broomfield".

The next processor coming down the pipe is the Lynnfield - which will be market named the Core i5 (lower/cheaper than i7)

Intel announced yesterday they are renaming their entire desktop product line into 3 model lines: Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7... very much like BMW 3 series, 5 series and 7 series.

The Core i7 line is Intel's current top of the line desktop processor.

Geek screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 09:35 PM
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #87
mommer
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,959
so im smart enough to do this post,, and i have a question for ya geek.. it has nothing to do with all that "way above my head" stuff ive been seeing in this post. (i think the only thing i understood is something about dirtbagz)

my question;.. i live in hotels wherever im working at the time, and i try and hook up to their wireless.. sometimes "no problem".. but other times (alot lately) my comp will get local only access with no internet is that something with my computer? or their wireless signal? or just too many variables to know?

having a new laptop that won't get internet is like buying a new bike and, the carbs won't recognize fuel
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #88
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
... Typo?
i7 IS the Nehalem architecture. The first Core i7 processor based on Nehalem was codenamed "Broomfield".

The next processor coming down the pipe is the Lynnfield - which will be market named the Core i5 (lower/cheaper than i7)

Intel announced yesterday they are renaming their entire desktop product line into 3 model lines: Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7... very much like BMW 3 series, 5 series and 7 series.

The Core i7 line is Intel's current top of the line desktop processor.
"Bloomfield" is the desktop Core i7. There are other versions of Nehalem for single and dual socket, most marketed as Xeons.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #89
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
iTunes can cause all kinds of funky issues... not one of apple's better pieces of software imho. ...
Stay away, Steve Jobs is Satan. Look at this:

Yeah, Satan is well dressed. What did you expect, a pitchfork and horns?
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #90
Mortis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
"Bloomfield" is the desktop Core i7. There are other versions of Nehalem for single and dual socket, most marketed as Xeons.
This is what I was trying to refer to. The Xeons, compared to the i7. Benchmarking software like Geekbench seem to indicate that Xeons are siginfinatly faster than the i7 for just raw CPU and memory thoughput. Link to Geekbench's i7 test compared to a Xeon

Ah the hazards of trying to post with about 4 hours of sleep in the last couple of days

Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote