ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Parking (overnight) in DC?

I'm in DC for an internship and having a very hard time finding a place to keep a bike near where I live (24th and M - by GW) or work (1776 K NW). The apartment where I'm renting a room requires $100/month for the privledge of parking in an otherwise unused and unuseable corner of the parking garage. I can store the bike with friends in NoVA but that kinda defeates the purpose (which was mostly to make it easy to run back and forth between NoVA and DC). I don't mind parking outside so long as its not terriably likely to be stolen (its an old DR250 so probably not a prime target). The duration would be roughly now till the third week of July.

Any ideas, comments etc would be most appreciated

Also, how do DC parking cops view sidewalk parking? I see tons of scoots on the sidewalk, but not sure a bike with a tag could get by with it (although its not much bigger than a scoot).

Oh, one last question - this afternoon I parked in the MC parking on M street just east of Conn. Ave. - the sign says 7am-7pm. Is that strictly enforced? (I usually work later than 7pm and not infrequently arrive earlier than 7am).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 04:04 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727
know nothing about DC parking. if you run into Maripito say hello

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

will do.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
Personally - I would jump on the $100/month spot in a heartbeat. $3/day for garage parking is cheap peace of mind.

I wouldn't push your luck on parking. The only thing that works flawlessly in DC is parking enforcement. In fact, if your dying you're probably better off crawling to your car and parking it illegally than dialing 911. Well, actually no. They'll just ticket your dead body since getting you help is not their job.

I definitely wouldn't push the 7a-7p parking in that area. You might end up with more than a ticket and be trying to get it out of impound. I'm not sure why they limit parking like that in that area. I assume it is to disuade long term overnight parkers. But either way - parking violations=$$$$.

I would worry about the bike being stolen parked on the street. I'm a GW alum and pretty much everybody i knew that lived in DC with a car had their car stolen or broken into. A bike is just that much easier to steal. Foggy Bottom is a nice area of DC, but you can't escape the property crime.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,473
+1 to what Butters wrote. Pay the $100 and consider it a great price.

DC is laying off big-time, but hiring 140 more parking people and figure they'll make $12 million out of it. Guess where that money is coming from! They've also made it clear a few weeks ago that to do this they are NOW going to what they call "enhanced enforcement." I was parking in a 4 hour motorcycle spot for the last several years and we never got hassled. Now they ticket the row of bikes. Sure is easy for the meter "maid."

Do lock your bike to something in that area, too, or it'll just be tipped into the back of a van and taken away.

Sidewalk parking is verboten. However, if you can find something on the non-street side of the sidewalk, even if JUST wide enough to park, the meter people can't get you. I've found a little sliver and that's where I've been parking. At that point it's between you and the owner or operator of that property. But you still have the passerby/theft problem.

If where you're staying is ground floor, maybe you can just bring the bike indoors quietly???
Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks all. I moved my bike out of the 7pm spot and I think the signage is a bit ambigious - it says "motorcycle parking only 7am - 7pm" - doesn't really say one way or the other after hours. I went by at 8:30 and bikes were there unticketed, but I'm not sure if all night would be acceptable. I might just drop the motorcycle off in NoVA ($3/day is more than I spend on food ... seems wrong somehow), snag the bicycle and go back to riding the metro into VA. Pretty nuts how hard it is to park around here (finding free mc parking is actually really easy in NoVA and Boston/Cambridge - so I didn't really expect this).

Thanks for the tips re theft as well, FB seemed a bit too posh for such concerns.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Butters
. . . . . .

Come on now BP . . .
Even summer jobs at those big firms pay $$$$$. And I know your saving money because they never let you leave except for your allotted 3 hours of sleep and weekly shower - so entertainment expenses are zero. And anyone who clerked for a US Circuit Court Judge must have had some impressive grades. I'm starting to smell the stench of law review here.

Seriously, try to get out and see the sun once in a while and get on the bike

Hope your enjoying your summer (seriously).
Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah the summer job does pay really well, but its still drastically less than a year's tuition. I may break down and pay up the $100, going to call again today and see if they'll discount any (there are two different sections of the garage - perhaps they'll bid against eachother:laugh ). You are right about not spending much though - I'm working fairly long hours and they stuff me with free food every chance they get so my only summer expenses are rent and perhaps parking.

No law review, but I was on a law journal. Quit that for this year to do a fellowship in law and econ (decided I'd rather write my own stuff than edit other people's crap). So are you a law school type as well?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,473
I must be getting dense. The 7a-7p means "no cars" for those hours, but outside of those hours, you're only limited by any other signs posted. That area is pretty heavy city, so I'll guess there are other signs, but if not, anybody can park there from 7p-7a. Just lock it up real well.

I'll have to drop bread as I ride by, because a capafrapachino costs more than $3 in that neighborhood. Was this you?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think you are quite right. Some else opined otherwise, but I'm guessing he was mistaken. I didn't see other signs, but I'll have another look.

We get free coffe/cappa-whatever's at the firm :)

Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I'm in DC for an internship and having a very hard time finding a place to keep a bike near where I live (24th and M - by GW) or work (1776 K NW). The apartment where I'm renting a room requires $100/month for the privledge of parking in an otherwise unused and unuseable corner of the parking garage. I can store the bike with friends in NoVA but that kinda defeates the purpose (which was mostly to make it easy to run back and forth between NoVA and DC). I don't mind parking outside so long as its not terriably likely to be stolen (its an old DR250 so probably not a prime target). The duration would be roughly now till the third week of July.

Any ideas, comments etc would be most appreciated

See if somebody might be away for the summer and might sub-let their parking space to you. Or, see if you could share a space with a neighbor.

Also, how do DC parking cops view sidewalk parking? I see tons of scoots on the sidewalk, but not sure a bike with a tag could get by with it (although its not much bigger than a scoot).

I believe scooters under 50cc are allowed park on the sidewalk.

Oh, one last question - this afternoon I parked in the MC parking on M street just east of Conn. Ave. - the sign says 7am-7pm. Is that strictly enforced? (I usually work later than 7pm and not infrequently arrive earlier than 7am).

That means that only motorcycles are allowed to park between 7am and 7 pm. After that, bikes may stay but cars are allowed to perk there as room allows. You still need to feed the meter and keep an eye on the length of time the meter allows.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been looking for a parking-spot sublet, but none have been affordable (cage spots go for $200+) and the building refuses to give out multiple transponders (required to get into the garage) so sharing a spot is also out (which is a bummer as several bikes could easily fit in one cage spot). If I could find a motorcycle spot sublet that would be perfect, but none have come up so far.

Luckily no meter at the street parking near work but I can't seem to figure out if overnight parking is allowed (it looks like it wouldn't be from the general area and lack of any bikes staying there on a somewhat permant basis, but I've not found definitive signage).

I think I'm going to break down and pay the $100/mo

Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
So are you a law school type as well?
GW Law '94 Haven't practiced in over 10 years however. (Damn ethics rules )

Actually, it is because I have had a cushy gov'ment job for awhile.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool! One of the co-summer associates I work with is from GW law as is a good friend from college (now practicing). What sort of govt work?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
StabbyMcCutty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Cool2

A buddy of mine used to park his inside the apartment. He just put down some of those garage floor protectors.
StabbyMcCutty is offline   Reply With Quote