Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #61
r-man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I was stationed in Germany in 88-91, owned an FZ600 and then a Concours during that time,a nd visited several of the places you've posted so far.

VERY NICE THREAD!

Thank you for sharing.

You've made me want to go back, again.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #62
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
We then went to Maastricht, Netherlands, right up the road, and while getting gas asked the station attendant where we might find a campground. He suggested we head to Valkenburg, just east of the city. We found a very nice campground, checked in, and set up in the back of the property. It was a very nice spot, and for a guy from Tucson, Arizona, it was going to be great to sleep out on such a green lawn.

JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #63
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

After setting up, we drove into Maastricht to see the city, have dinner and wander the streets. I was looking forward to seeing the place, having driven through 20 years ago, but not stopping to look (I was on my way to Amsterdam). So, welcome to Maastricht.
We chained the bikes together and went for a walk.

This was one hell of a lot of cheese really....

We sat down at a sidewalk restaurant for dinner, and this was the view.......

There were security cameras everywhere on this square, and young people would come along and put on one hell of a show trying to see if the police would come......

This was mine....a nice pizza....

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #64
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

More of Maastricht....

The woman in blue insisted on posing for me......she was a little intoxicated.....but a wonderful place to party in....there was such a happy atmosphere here.....

Thus ended a great day of travel as we returned to our tents at about 2 in the morning...to get at least a little sleep before the next morning would be upon us.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #65
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Nice capture of the ufo above the bikes, and camping on that real green grass must have felt like being at a 5 star resort. Enjoying the pics and read!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #66
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Nice capture of the ufo above the bikes, and camping on that real green grass must have felt like being at a 5 star resort. Enjoying the pics and read!

That's really strange...I had not noticed that before....I hope is is just bird or an airplane.....can't tell though....I guess if I can't tell either....it must be UFO!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #67
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
I saw in one of the pictures you have a Nikon camera. What kind do you have? I'd also love to know how you set your camera to take such awesome night-shots!

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #68
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

So, the next morning, after only one night in the place, we packed up our stuff and proceeded to seek out breakfast.

We did not go far, as at the entrance to the campground was a nice little restaurant where we started with coffee while we tried to make a decision on what to eat.

We settled on giant Dutch pancakes, not usual for breakfast, but they agreed to make them for us anyway despite their not being considered breakfast food there...to humor us foreigners.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #69
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus McGee
I saw in one of the pictures you have a Nikon camera. What kind do you have? I'd also love to know how you set your camera to take such awesome night-shots!
It's a D 60, and I just set on the tripod using auto exposure time and using the timer so I would not have to touch the camera when it fired....and I am not using the largest size photos, but medium size. Camera does a really great job, although I want to get more lenses. Right now I have the 18-55 VR and the 55-200. I am still learning how to use it's features, so no special tricks were done. Most of them I was just holding it as steady as I could and letting it do it's thing. Only the longer exposurers were on the tripod.

JMead11 screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 04:08 PM
Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #70
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

After this great food, we headed out to Margraten, which was only a short distance away. My motivation for visiting this place was easy to see, it is the site of the American Cemetery of the Netherlands. We were too close not to visit, and it was so close to where we were camping we were there in minutes.

It was an incredible site to see, the Netherlands American Cemetery, not just that it was the burial site of Robert G. Cole, hero of Normandy and Market Garden,

or Walter C. Wetzel, who selflessly threw himself on top of German grenades to save his friends lives,

but there was a lot going on there, including a memorial ceremony for one of the cemeteries war dead, Calvin G. Turkington. It was a very touching ceremony, really made special by the participation of re-enactors dressed in period correct uniforms and acting as the honor guard.

Here is their website that mentions the event.

http://www.band-of-brothers.be/

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #71
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

More of the Netherlands American Cemetery......

You’ll notice there are a lot more flowers out there than you might normally see, and that may be because locals have adopted the burial sights of American soldiers and see to it they get their due attention. I think it is a great idea, and wish it happened more in other cemeteries.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #72
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

We next headed on into Germany. I had always heard about the Battle of the Hürtgen Forest, but have never seen too much about on the TV, or in film. As a matter of fact, I think the only film I have seen concerning it was When Trumpets Fade. How could such an important battle, the longest one in the history of the United States, live in such anonymity, I did not know. I thought it would interesting to drive into the forest just to get a feel for what is was like. I know it is tough to get a bike into the forests in Germany, but there were some places where combat had taken place that we could access. As we entered the village of Hürtgen, I guess I was going a little fast, as I got flashed by photo radar just as I was entering the village. Fortunatly, there was no rear pointing camera, only the one that flashed me in the face, so they would not have my plate number. Anyway, off to the forest to see what the Hürtgenwald was really like.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #73
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

There was a children day hike going on at the first place we stopped. They had activities at each of the many checkpoints they would pass that day, and we just happened to have Elvis where we were. As the children would emerge from the forest, he would put on a little show for them. The kids loved it. I just thought it was funny. Sorry no pics of the act.

I did frighten a deer or two walking in the woods,

And I had never seen so many flies on a pile of crap before.....

And then there were the giant escargot....they just did not seem appetizing to me.....

There were some dugouts and foxholes left, but pretty much most of the stuff seemed to be being reclaimed by the forest.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #74
Masenkoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I cannot even imagine what it must have been like to try to fight a war in such a dense forest. The pictures of the cemeteries reminds us of what a high price was paid in that war. Keep the pictures coming, waiting for more.
Masenkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #75
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

The Hurtgenwald is a very dense forest, you could disappear in only a short distance. I was hoping we could find more remnants of what had happened there so long ago, but we could not even find anything that was on the maps. I may have to try again one day and give it some more research before I go. This trip was not really planned, so we were not the best prepared to find things.