User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
xhaleKLR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
08 KLR650 lowering link install

how difficult is it to install lowering links on an 08 klr 650? I would like to be able to fully place my feet flat on the ground and the extra 1.75 inches would definitely doo the trick. Also, would it void my warranty if I was to do this myself?
xhaleKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Jkrup47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
shouldn't be too difficult I installed raising links on my klr and it took about 30 minutes start to finish

i wouldn't see why it would void your warranty..
Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
xhaleKLR OP
Adventurer

now that I have been reading more on this situation, I am unsure that I want to lower the bike, as I have read that it makes the suspensions too soft for touring when any luggage is added...even with the spring load tension all the way up at 5. Does anyone have any more information on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,032
I don't know why it would soften the suspension up, though there are many more here that are better mechanics then I, and understand the mysterious goings on of bike suspension.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Lowering links do work...but that's just part of it.

You will need to slide the forks up into the fork tree as well. If its too tall the bike will turn like a chopper....if too low it will turn like a shopping cart. The maker of the links should have instructions about how much to slide the forks.

The side stand angle will be different as well. The rear wheel will be higher off the ground when up on the center stand. The distance between the seat and the pegs will be closer.

I installed one on my 640. While I can almost flat foot the sucker...I got tired of dragging my knee across the seat each time I dismounted the thing.

After two days I removed it. My legs were tucked a little closer than before and it felt uncomfortable. I had slid the forks up about 7/8"....but with the OEM links back on the bike, it just feels better where it is, so I haven't slid them back down. Now that I look back on it.....the bike always did feel like I was driving a chopper after I adjusted the preload.

The COG also felt lower...the bike felt more stable on the highway those two days.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 10:22 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
xhaleKLR OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the information dlh62c. Maybe I should just go for a lower seat instead. I will have to take everything you said into consideration.

If anyone knows anything else about this, I could use all of the info that I can get my hands on.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
mikehailwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
links

I have lowered both the KLR's I have owned and it was good for me. It is true that the lower links soften the suspension. I weight 150 lbs and am 5'7" (going on 5'6"). I set the preload and damping both at "2" when riding locally. I set the preload to 5 and the damping to 4 when touring with panniers and topbox fully loaded for camping. This is all street riding (occasional gravel). If you weigh more and/or ride off-road, the lowering links might not work for you. In that case you might need to invest in the more expensive suspension upgrades. p.s. I also use the dished Corbin when riding locally.
mikehailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
xhaleKLR OP
Adventurer

well...i do weigh a bit more at 195lbs, so this option probably wouldn't be the right thing for me. i was just trying to save the money compared to buying a new corbin seat. i guess i am just cheap, which is, from what i have picked up on this site, a normal klr owner trait. haha
Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 447
Im in the same boat.

Im going to a different/lower seat prior to changing the rear suspension geometry with lowering links.

Riding buddy had them, took them out due to too much bottoming out.

just my 2 cents...
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
xhaleKLR OP
Adventurer

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly. I really appreciate that advice and description of past experiences. Looks like I am going to have to pony up and order the corbin dished seat.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Lowering links won't change the distance between the seat and pegs. They will increase the leverage on the shock making it seem softer. You may not be able to set the preload for the correct amount of sag.

You might consider lowering links and a stiffer spring. Check here: http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/KLR...lrsprings.html

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
Lowering links won't change the distance between the seat and pegs.
Ron
Anything that lowers the seat height....will decrease the distance between the seat and the pegs.

daryl
Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c
Anything that lowers the seat height....will decrease the distance between the seat and the pegs.

daryl
Lowering links will lower the entire frame by raising the swing arm.

Since the seat and foot pegs are both attached to the frame it will lower the seat and foot pegs together in relation to the ground, but not in relation to each other.

The only way the seat/foot peg relationship would change with lowering links would be if the foot pegs were attached to the swing arm.

Modifying or changing the seat would certainly change the seat/foot peg relationship, but the item in question here was lowering links.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
but the item in question here was lowering links.

Ron
It may have started out about lowering links...but he's now thinking about modifying the seat. Removing padding from the seat or lowering the sub frame will decrease the distance between the seat and the pegs.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 11:08 AM
Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Can is use this thread to get a few related points answered:

i have a short female friend who is a good rider, and just got a 2000 KLR (she sold a SuperHawk 996 for it, and she's solid on a bike, just short).

I want to add lowering links in addition to installing the stock Showa rear shock from my 2009.

Qs:

1. Are stock OEM shocks interchangeable between pre-'08 and post? I am hoping that the 2009's shock will be as lightly shorter throw and slightly stronger spring rate.

2. Are the lowering links model-specific pre and post-'08? If I get links for an 08, for example, will they work on a 2000 model? Especially with an 08 shock.

Any thoughts?

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote