User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
alkay OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
5 Urals on Tundra Run '09 to Labrador

I've just returned from my three week Ural adventure to Goose Bay/Happy Valley Labrador, down the Lab coast, western Newfoundland, and eventually home. I met up with 4 other Uralists in Baie Comeau Quebec (C.U.R.D. Tundra Run 2009) and we headed up the remote Hwy 389 through Quebec towards Labrador. The road was paved for the first part, but very rutted and twisty. After staying overnight at Manic Cinq power dam, we left on roads that were large gravel, hard pack, muddy, quite a mix, not for bikes other than dual sports and Urals. We met a few BMW dual sports coming the opposite direction from Goose Bay, and chatted about the road conditions and animals on the road ahead. Because it was the second week in June, it was chilly, with occasional snow flurries, but no bugs! There's such a feeling of being in the middle of nowhere up here, with little traffic (no motorhomes!), but if you did have problems, people stop to ask if you need help. We continued for the next few days through cold, wet and slippery conditions, but on our final approach day to Goose Bay the road was really dusty. Most of us suffered from extremely clogged airfilters somewhere on the trip. Goose Bay is great community with friendly people, with quite a few local bikers who quickly heard of our presence and took us on some sight seeing trips in the area. The new road to Cartwright Labrador is not finished yet (maybe one of you out there will be the first either this fall or next spring to journey down it!), and the ferry down the coast to Cartwright was delayed because of ice conditions, so 3 of the Urals had to head back down the same road and head home (the journey back was even worse because of the weather conditions!). The rest of the Tundra Run was spectacular as well - I stayed an extra few days on the Labrador Coast to explore the roads and villages. One of the reasons I wanted to go was to get some whale and iceberg photos - if you head up the west Newfoundland coast to St. Anthony take the great boat trip in town that will leave you smiling...
I have many great photos on my site of the amazing scenery, the great camaraderie between new friends, and Fred's hack rider, a dog with Doggles! I would really recommend all of you to plan to make it up this route sometime soon before it gets more touristy. Hopefully the pictures will make up your mind for you. We all had a fantastic time, the Ural's were solid - it's going to be hard to top this experience, but people are talking about where to go next year on the Curd Tundra Run '10. Looking forward to it!
Check out the photos: http://www.alkayphotos.com/f163105067

Al.

alkay screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 09:25 AM
alkay is offline   Reply With Quote