Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 04:39 PM   #31
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by blevyibr
walked into that one. Fuel, Bob, Fuel

Well there was the morning after the roasted garlic at the Crater Lake Lodge.....
Please don't remind me !!!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #32
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
I think the only major issue that surfaced on Day One was how to survive crash damage. J-L, Berti and me all hit pretty hard. Mine was a simple front wheel wash out, in sand, and my bag was torn right off the bike. J-L cruised past a big ole rock at about 30mph. That freekin' rock jumped up and took out his saddle bag. On the 950, those bags are the first and sometimes the only thing that hits the ground. Needless to say, this was going to be an ongoing problem. Not a problem for Berti, since his bike had no luggage....

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #33
Berti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I didn't hit hard until day 11
Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #34
turkish
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
J-L cruised past a big ole rock at about 30mph. That freekin' rock jumped up and took out his saddle bag.
You know, one of these days the Frenchman is going to learn how to ride.

turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 PM   #35
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Day Two

We hit the road early. Day Two put us on the Angeles Crest after a few miles of twisty roads coming out of Crestline .

Hwy 2 is a perfect asphalt ribbon high above Los Angeles. Early Saturday morning was perfect. Aside from the odd Ducati coming at us at hyper-speed, we had the place to ourselves. The PCT wanders back and forth across the road in numerous places. The views, but mostly the road itself were stunning. After about an hour of synchronized 60mph sweepers and a couple of Cliff Bars, we approached our turn-off on dirt at "Three Points" towards Mt. Gleason. The long trail is loose white sand, well graded and seldom traveled. I couldn't help but think about the 15 million people who live less than an hour away. Doesn't anyone know how beautiful this place is? Stunning views over LA all the way to the ocean although it was fairly hazy that day.

The map of Day Two gets a little confusing. 3N17 is continuous for nearly 50 miles from Hwy2 (Point 5) all the way to Santa Clarita (Point 11). Some sections don't show, so the green route incorrectly bypasses the what's missing. Segments of the road are broken pavement, but most is a sand or rock surface. Nobody there….

Back to civilization for a quick lunch at In & Out. I can't believe Berti didn't get a picture of the best thing Santa Clarita has to offer...

On our way to the next trailhead at Bouquet Reservoir, I pulled over to check out a trail coming down from the hills above town, right where we were before lunch. At one time it was on our route. I took it off because Aaron said one of his buddies had almost flipped a Range Rover ass over front coming down. So I pointed at the hill and suggested that Jean-Luc might want to give it a go. I thought he would poke up the hill a ways and quickly come back down. But no….this fool tries to make it all the way up the 1k plus rise on a steep rocky grade.

He didn't make it.

He's up there somewhere....

The Jesse Bags will never be the same. It took nearly an hour to put things back in order.

Once again the map is a little screwed up. FR6N01 runs from Bouquet Canyon Rd. most of the way to Lake Hughes. Yes, we are on the PCT, as we were for most of the second day.

I had a pretty bad fall on that road. I was stepping out of turns on a smooth sandy surface and getting a liiiiittle heavy on the throttle. Hooked-up with a stray piece of underlying asphalt and the back kicked about 270 degrees throwing me off faster that you can say, "Oh.. shit!" No more windscreen and a quick blow to the head.

Number two for Berti....

From Lake Hughes, Liebre Mtn Rd. follows a beautiful ridge line upward for about 40 miles and ends in a cascade of twisty dirt trails over rolling hills making their way towards Tejon Pass. Again, no other vehicles aside from a flipped pick-up that was being tended by an errant CHP unit.

From there we headed across the desert west of Lancaster. We followed the PCT almost continuously as it crossed the desert on top of the California Aqueduct.

Bypassing private land at the windmill farms we battled a fierce headwind up Willow Springs Road towards Tehachapi where we moteled for the night.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-23-2004 at 10:04 AM
Old 07-23-2004, 02:20 AM   #36
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish
You know, one of these days the Frenchman is going to learn how to ride.

Hey you! I didn't even crash that time!!!

Actually I had only very few crashes in the whole trip but for whatever reason the bike fell almost every time we stopped... highly specialized high speed bike me think Might also have something to do with me trying to get my camera from my Jesse bag without leaving the bike's seat
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #37
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
Hey you! I didn't even crash that time!!!

Actually I had only very few crashes in the whole trip but for whatever reason the bike fell almost every time we stopped... highly specialized high speed bike me think Might also have something to do with me trying to get my camera from my Jesse bag without leaving the bike's seat
One thing I did learn on this trip... It's a bad idea to pace J-L down a twisty dirt road! At least for us "mortal" riders! I have also learned that the reason J-L rides so fast is that if he stops he will fall over!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #38
Tiny
Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer: 774
Awesome, awesome awesome...

I'm so jealous. I'm actually annoyed just reading your posts.

One question for Dubb...Soft bags?? What the hell made you think that would work? I've never seen that set up work whilst bitch-slappin a bike on a ride like that. Whammo and I are putting together a Trans Am Trail ride in late spring and against my better judgement, I was thinking of looking into a soft bag set up. Would you run it again?

P.S.
J-L ain't so fast. Do you know how much time I spent waiting for him on the Sheetiron? Oh, wait...sorry other way around.
I spent the whole ride waiting for him to crash so I could ride over him and pass him!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #39
Jacqueline
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'm enjoying reading what you guys had been going through before I ran into you on day 13(I think). You seemed to be in such good spirits then. It's really inspirational considering all of the spills and hardships you had gone through on your adventure.

Also, thanks for pointing out the advrider website. Lurking through the forums has been entertaining and educational.
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #40
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny
I'm so jealous. I'm actually annoyed just reading your posts.

One question for Dubb...Soft bags?? What the hell made you think that would work? I've never seen that set up work whilst bitch-slappin a bike on a ride like that. Whammo and I are putting together a Trans Am Trail ride in late spring and against my better judgement, I was thinking of looking into a soft bag set up. Would you run it again?
I think R-dubb had damaged his bags in a prior crash.

Having run the Jesse bags... a couple recommendations... If you have the quick releases lubricate them before the trip. Check the pins in the quick release handles prior to your trip and periodically during the trip. If your bags do not have the quick release handle retaining clips... get them from Jesse. Also, make sure you carry at least 2 complete mounting pin assemblies (including rubber bumper) either quick release or "solid" mount that uses an allen bolt. Make sure you have some way of securing the lid to the Jesse bag without using the hinges or latches. Check to make sure your bags are correctly mounted everytime you "fall over".
Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #41
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline
I'm enjoying reading what you guys had been going through before I ran into you on day 13(I think). You seemed to be in such good spirits then. It's really inspirational considering all of the spills and hardships you had gone through on your adventure.

Also, thanks for pointing out the advrider website. Lurking through the forums has been entertaining and educational.
Hey Jacqueline! It was great meeting another true adventurer on the road! You may be new to motorcycling, but you have to right spirit to take you down many many roads and trails in the future!

PS... I'm glad you made it home safely
Old 07-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #42
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
I think R-dubb had damaged his bags in a prior crash.
One of my Jesse bags got pretty well wiped out by a small crash on a PCQ scouting trip a few months ago. I spent way too much time on the trip dealing with the problem. So, I elected to strap some "el cheapo" soft bags to my bike including some cheesy "penny tech" mounting brackets and an exhaust shield. No side bags would have been even better. Next time...

The straps and buckles on the soft bags broke on Day One. Not a big problem. I just picked up a handful of trucker tarp straps and hitched them up good and tight. After many subsequent falls, the soft bags are pretty well trashed (pics later) but still hanging in there. The main thing is that I didn't need to spend a bunch of time messing around with broken hardware.

Traveltoad managed to get all the way through without any serious damage to his bags. It's a riding style thing. I fall a lot because my legs aren't long enough to dab my way through the rough stuff. I go too fast and tend to miss my line in an effort to keep the bike balanced. TT is smarter and taller. So he gets away with carrying Jesse bags on a 3000 mile dirt trip. His bike still looks like new as well. I'm really pissed about that.

R-dubb
Old 07-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #43
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Traveltoad managed to get all the way through without any serious damage to his bags. It's a riding style thing. I fall a lot because my legs aren't long enough to dab my way through the rough stuff. I go too fast and tend to miss my line in an effort to keep the bike balanced. TT is smarter and taller. So he gets away with carrying Jesse bags on a 3000 mile dirt trip. His bike still looks like new as well. I'm really pissed about that.

R-dubb
Jean-Luc got so mad at me for having a clean bike that he dented one of my Jesses himself! He signed it later for me.

I'll post a pic when I get home.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #44
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Day Two wrap-up

We covered even more miles than we had the day before, but some issues were starting to become a factor. J-L's bags were a real problem and consuming time, both on the road and in camp. Mine were still hanging on by a thread but threatening to self-destruct at any moment.

More of an immediate problem: both J-L and Berti were developing nasty cases of monkey butt. And, Berti's wrists were numb and aching. Berti had to shed the Darien pants and ride standing up, all day long! Two 14 hour days in a row were taking a toll. No rest for the weary….

Liberal application of Preparation H and chugging Sapporo Draft at 7-Eleven seemed to be the only way out.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-23-2004 at 03:25 PM
Old 07-24-2004, 08:39 PM   #45
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Day Three did not start well….

It was 4th of July. Trains had been rumbling past the hotel every 20 minutes all night long. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason Tehachapi exists. The bakery at the station was open early, and the coffee turned out to be pretty decent. After parking lot mayhem and some hammering on the Jesse bags we headed out slightly latter than usual. It was not a good sign when all three GPS's were showing different routes out of town. We headed across the tracks and had our choice between a closed gate at the back of a subdivision, a closed gate at a gypsum rock quarry and ranch land.

We made it about 10 miles or more towards the ranch when we were greeted by a locked a gate and the rancher. He said the only way across to Lake Isabella was through his many thousands of acres and that was out of the question. No go!

Here's a map for the day.

Thirty miles west of the ranch we took Caliente Road into the woods. By this time it was already hot as we were only 1000 feet in elevation. I was pissed…. The GPS problem had me tweaked. I should have known better. This is the first area for which we had no scouting and precious time was being lost. Aaron and Berti were pointed up the highway straight toward Lake Isabella. I badly wanted to rejoin our evasive cross-country route should be closer to the PCT. The bet paid off! We took a longer bypass back to the east and hit a dirt road that looked as if it was a dead-end ranch road. After a mile or so it headed up into the forest and we were back on track….

This turned out to be a fantastic climb up a sandy dirt track up Mace Mtn. to an old cabin at the site of an old gold mine.

The road was steep and soft with many, many tight switch backs. We had a blast. Near the top of the hill we met the friendly miner and then joined up with Jawbone Canyon Rd., which then led to Piute Peak Rd. This was a awesome climb to over 8000 feet above Lake Isabella. The views were spectacular with giant yuccas in full bloom across endless mountain slopes. The decent down to the lake was equally magnificent over a steeply cut road with deep drops to rocky canyons below. A very cool three hour ride from Caliente to Lake Isabella.

A quick visit to Ace Hardware for straps, bolts and then a pizza lunch with leaking girl. I wasn’t feeling quite so good about the schedule at this point. It was painfully hot, and we had exposed an obvious vulnerability to ranchers and bad routing on the GPS.

The afternoon would be easier time wise since we were heading into territory that J-L had scouted last Fall. The roads were interesting if not dramatic. The climate was becoming greener and the roads more forested. A number of semi-alpine meadows punctuated the hilly terrain. Aside from the early morning excursion, nearly the whole day was spent on dirt roads.

We did have one episode with a washed out road bed, but a scenic alternative was close at hand so it mattered not at all.

It was late by the time we ended just outside Sequoia National Park at Three Rivers. A nice campsite on the river nearby allowed for a little cleaning up.

Campground Man had some good looking ribs going for the 4th. It was looking promising for an invite when he started telling me about his trip to Baja on a GS. No such luck…… Berti had at least a pitcher anyhow.

A long day again; we were starting to fall apart a little bit mentally, but the motivation to continue on the pace was strong as ever. Fortitude mates! No great revelations that day, just hard going for another fantastic 250 miles.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-24-2004 at 10:08 PM