Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2004, 09:07 PM   #46
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
We covered even more miles than we had the day before, but some issues were starting to become a factor. J-L's bags were a real problem and consuming time, both on the road and in camp. Mine were still hanging on by a thread but threatening to self-destruct at any moment.

More of an immediate problem: both J-L and Berti were developing nasty cases of monkey butt. And, Berti's wrists were numb and aching. Berti had to shed the Darien pants and ride standing up, all day long! Two 14 hour days in a row were taking a toll. No rest for the weary….

Liberal application of Preparation H and chugging Sapporo Draft at 7-Eleven seemed to be the only way out.

R-dubb
One of the best things to use for monkey butt is A&D creme its really for babies to prevent diaper rash but it works great at keeping the moisture away. Moisture is what causes monkey. I keep a tube in my tank bag.Check out Aerostich's catalouge they have a great pair of riding shorts similar to bicycle shorts only with a moisture absorbing pad these work great I can tell the difference from them and a regular pair of bike shorts. Take it from a guy who has a weak butt this stuff works
Attached Images

2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)

Greg Minor screwed with this post 07-25-2004 at 07:54 AM
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:15 PM   #47
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Where is this

Can you give me better detail how to find this road. This last buch of pictures make me want to do this part of the ride anyone want to try it when it cools down a bit?
Attached Images

2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 07-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #48
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
Can you give me better detail how to find this road. This last buch of pictures make me want to do this part of the ride anyone want to try it when it cools down a bit?
I'm in for trying this road. I'm kinda familiar with Bouquet Canyon Rd, but I'm not sure where they caught this road.

Errin
Old 07-25-2004, 08:40 AM   #49
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
I'm in for trying this road. I'm kinda familiar with Bouquet Canyon Rd, but I'm not sure where they caught this road.

Errin
From the discription I think it is the section from Lake Hughes Rd to the Old Ridge Rt on the Ridge Rt end. You can see it in the background. I think this is from the same area. Waypoint 18 on their map.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:13 AM   #50
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
Just an awesome report so far I need to learn to ride in the dirt soon Nicely done lads
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:29 AM   #51
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline
I'm enjoying reading what you guys had been going through before I ran into you on day 13(I think). You seemed to be in such good spirits then. It's really inspirational considering all of the spills and hardships you had gone through on your adventure.

Also, thanks for pointing out the advrider website. Lurking through the forums has been entertaining and educational.
Welcome to the asylum Jacqueline!

We were all very impressed by your sense of adventure and it was great for me to remember those first rides by yourself, discovering the incomparable feeling of freedom that motorcycles offer.

Keep going
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:08 AM   #52
Ruskie
Banned

Oddometer: 29,237
You guys Rawk! And thank you for sharing your ride with those of us who are still in the dream mode of doing such things. My son and I and his buddy are planning a similar ride up here in the Pacific Northwest but I must admit we will use the DRZ400's instead of El-Mulo's (1150GS) on our offroad trip.

Thanks again! Exellent
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #53
Curtis
Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer: 1,299
Hey, I really like the mesh armor covered by the vest shell. I recognize the black one as the Dianese one but who makes the silver one or is that also Dianese. Good idea though on the temperature flexibility it provides.
"Life serves the risk taker", Bathroom wall, Moe's frontier bar, Skagway, Alaska
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #54
DesertRat
Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
You guys have really pissed me off!! Not only are you making me SOOO jealous, but I will now be forced to ditch my dial up and brush the cobwebs off my checkbook for a high speed connection.

09 F800 GS
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:23 PM   #55
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
You guys have really pissed me off!! Not only are you making me SOOO jealous, but I will now be forced to ditch my dial up and brush the cobwebs off my checkbook for a high speed connection.

No shit! 32kps sucks! And I can't even get DSL or something similar. I'm on the end of a residential line, so not much profit for them to put in the cables for a handful of homes.

Come on R-dubb, where's the rest? I'm dying here.....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #56
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard cabesa
From the discription I think it is the section from Lake Hughes Rd to the Old Ridge Rt on the Ridge Rt end. You can see it in the background. I think this is from the same area. Waypoint 18 on their map.
Yes, that's it alright. Your picture is way mo betta than ours. Here's an inset of the map for that road. It's an easy road to ride. The switchbacks are very well graded and not too steep. There are a few sandy patches, but not bad. It follows along on the PCT the whole way! Fantastic views.

R-dubb

.....more stuff coming soon!
Attached Images

R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #57
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Yes, that's it alright. Your picture is way mo betta than ours. Here's an inset of the map for that road. It's an easy road to ride. The switchbacks are very well graded and not too steep. There are a few sandy patches, but not bad. It follows along on the PCT the whole way! Fantastic views.

R-dubb

.....more stuff coming soon!
thats good that makes it about 3 or 4 hours from me depending on how I get there
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 07-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #58
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Day Four

Our campsite was the best thing that could be said for Three Rivers. We had our only taste of poor hospitality at dinner the night before. Then we hustled to the local coffee shop in the morning to find it closed. Cliff Bars again… We had intended to visit Oly on Day Four and stay at his place on Hume Lake. Only problem was, we could reach Hume Lake by about 9am. Nearly a day ahead of schedule at this point. We decided to press on, leaving a garbled phone message for Oly. Thanks again for the offer. We also called Cpt. Ron to let him know that we were only two days from a potential rendezvous. The other conversation that morning was tires. Our knobbies were melting quickly. No way were we going to last until Hood River which was still over 1500 miles away. The rock climbs and relatively heavy loads were kicking the shit out of our rear tires. Reno would be the only opportunity to mount some new rubber. We asked Ron if he would be willing to line up replacements. He graciously agreed to help out. Without those tires, the trip would be ending soon.

The route for today started with a long stretch of pavement through Sequoia National Park. Of course the trees were fantastic. The early morning light was perfect, and there was no traffic to speak of. Jean-Luc made a point of finding every decent restaurant along the route, so we enjoyed a great buffet breakfast at the park lodge.

I can't believe we don't have any cool Giant Sequoia tree pictures. Such a sight to behold…. Anyhow, after bypassing Hume Lake, I darted up a little single track trail north off of 180. (Map Point 2) This was our first close encounter with a closed road that stood to be reopened with a little persuasion. It was tight little road which would connect to numbered forest road in less than a mile. After motoring over a berm, a washed out drainage swale reminded us why the road was closed. There were a couple of bike tracks, so I plowed through and just as quickly, dumped the bike.

Next came getting around the fallen brush. Again there were a couple of tracks to give hope. Onward we went..

We left Jean-Luc behind... As we got ready to dig in deeper, Berti, looked at me as if this were not the way to Canada. I assured him the trail was not long and fortunately it wasn't. That was fun!

Damn, it happened again...

The map below shows a discontinuous crossing and by-pass around the Italian Bar on the King River. Thanks to J-L's scouting trip last fall, we knew that there is a road and bridge between points 3 & 4 on the map. The roads on both sides of the river were rough, rocky slopes, steep and scenic. We now understood that moving west of the PCT to access trails would mean lots of climbing and crossing rivers. Up and down we went from under thousand feet back up to six or seven thousand in a few miles, three or four times a day. Slow going, but lots of fun. Yahoo baby!

Not only is it a cool road, but saves upwards of 40 miles to go around. It was hot and a perfect day to take a swim. It didn't take long for us to decide how to spend some of that day ahead of schedule. The King River is wonderful and clear. Much to my delight, it wasn't very cold either.

While splashing about, a rafting outfitter started honking to get past our quickly abandoned bikes on the road above. TT scrambled up the bank and leaned the motos against the rocks to make way. Still, they were pissed.

We crossed the river and headed up Blackrock Road, reaching cool alpine elevations heading towards Shaver Lake.
Can you find the bike in this photo?

The afternoon ride would be spectacular scenery. Some of the best we would find on the whole trip. We had stunning views across Mammoth Lake into the Ansel Adam wilderness. We've all seen his photos of the huge granite domes, but not many people have been there as access is remote.

Jean-Luc dropped his camera that afternoon so the photos take a short break here. He though the whole camera broke, but it turned out to be the mini hard drive. Cpt. Ron donated a memory card when we meet him the next evening. It would work well for the rest of the trip.

Mammoth Pool and Minarets Rd. are both one-lane paved forest roads that traverse high bluffs with amazing vistas. We ended the day with a rocky canyon road the wound its way down into a stream bed and included our first open crossings of two mountain streams. (no pics on these, I'm afraid)

We ended in Fishcamp at 8:30PM. There was a fantastic roast beef sandwich and lot's of cold beer waiting at the Tenaya Lodge. Too bad Tracker couldn't join us for a high class meal complete with dust covered faces and filthy gear. The bartender was amazed with Berti's ability to down a pint before a second could be drawn. We slept well at a USNF campground.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-26-2004 at 11:43 AM
Old 07-25-2004, 09:10 PM   #59
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,427
Looks like you had a blast.

You guys have convinced me to ditch rear saddlebags altogether. I was going with mt.sun but even they are too big and cumbersome for real adventure riding. It's tank panniers, a camelback, and a small duffel bag from now on.

You guys wanna try it again in august or september?

Mike
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #60
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Day Five

By now we're feeling like we understand what this thing is about. Contacting Cpt. Ron and the prospect of getting into some fresh tires gave us renewed confidence. The days are long and incredibly rewarding. We all felt like each day was an eternity with weeks worth of experience packed in. Remembering where we were the morning before became a distant thought. The ground we were covering changes so fast. It's like hiking on steroids. Up and down through incredible terrain. The truth is, we were starting to slow down. The Sierra mountain range is rough. The route cut across ridge lines and through canyons against the grain. All the highways in the Sierras run east/west. We were traveling north. The mileage planned for Day Five in order to meet Cpt. Ron at Calaveras Big tree State Park seemed manageable, under 200 miles. The plan was to arrive between four and five to enjoy his company and drink some home brew. Motivation was high. There was not much pavement on the maps for today.

Heading out of Fish Camp, we immediately ducked into a very forested area. It was warm. Still air, silty soil and tree cover made dust conditions about the worst we had experienced thus far. There were no open vistas like we had experienced the day before. This coupled with a desire to get through the day made for a feeling of slow progress. Following the route traced on the GPS was not easy today. Trees frequently obscured reception, and there are just too damn many trails that cris-cross their way through the woods. We got tangled up more than once that morning. Thanks to the route scouted by Boejangles and Vrago, we eventually made our way up and over and down to the Merced River at Briceburg. Only thirty miles of relatively easy dirt roads and it took over two hours. Gas at Midpines.

Briceburg Rd. is another, in a series of stunning assents that the Sierra route provided. We climbed the rocky road to an amazing perch high above SR140 below. At the top we joined a series of convoluted, and nearly abandoned trails through dry and barely vegetated mountain slopes. This made for some adventurous riding along the narrow tracks.

The whole time we're climbing to the crest, I'm planning how I was going to ride through an off-camber, downhill series of ruts that knocked me down just a month prior while scouting. This is the dump that broke my bag mounts and caused no end of grief on the prior weekend with Benoit. I did it again in the very same spot!!!! I took the same lousy line and lost traction on the very same seemingly harmless rut. Damn, that was stupid.

No harm done this time, although Jean-Luc dislodged a saddle bag along the trail and finally decided that he would leave his Jesse bags and much of his gear with Cpt. Ron. The heat was oppressive and putting things back together took way too long. The trail eventually led into a high, remote area known as Soapstone Ridge.

Once upon a time this was the main road into Yosemite Valley. SR120 was rerouted long ago, and this high, twisty stretch of pavement has been nearly abandoned (FR2S02). The potholes were big enough to swallow rims, shocks and perhaps entire motorcycles. The road connects with 120 at Harden Flat.

Somewhere along there I punctured the front tire. Here we are reading directions for how to use the Stop'n Go plug kit. The hole was small, but would require re-plugging and leak many times all the way to Hood River, nearly a week away.

We crossed the highway with barely a wink and headed down a grade to the banks of the Middle Fork of the Tuolumne River. A wide crossing would connect us with trails leading to Cherry Oil Rd and back up the mountain. Benoit and I scouted this crossing earlier in the Spring and found it too full to cross. I was ready for it this time. This was the widest and possibly most dramatic water crossing of the trip.

J-L leads the way

R-dubb makes a splash!

Berti, being more sensible, finds higher ground.

Somewhere north of Jawbone Pass, trying to connect with Dodge Ridge, we came upon an interesting single track excursion. Loose rocks, obscured by overhanging brush….Oh boy!

Great roads, but we were running late. Meeting Cpt. Ron before dark became an imperative. We descended from Dodge Ridge, gassed and crossed our third major highway of the day without hesitation. It was already after 4pm and would take a couple of hours to do the last leg down and up and over to Rt. 4. We headed down across the Stanislaus River at the top of the Beardsley Reservor. From there it was another steep climb into Hells Half Acre. We were on the gas. The dirt roads at the top were fast and wide. Elevation rose from 2000 feet to over 7000. Lot's a fun and we had a date to make. Crossed the top and made our way to Boards Crossing in record time. We got through over 50 miles of dirt in about an hour and a half. The same stretch had taken Benoit and I over four hours digging through snow drifts that had since evaporated.

We hooked up with Ron (only a few hours late) and his waiting kegs of homebrew. It was a good thing too. The spread of food, drink and supplies that Cpt. Ron brought forth was totally awesome. He had pounds of tri-tip, corn, potatoes, apple pie and cases of beer in addition to the home brew. The camp was outfit with a huge steel camp grill. Hospitality did not cease until well into the night.

Thanks Cpt. Ron. We were all looking forward to that feast and enjoyed every minute of it.

Do I look relaxed??

More of the same good fortune when we woke up the next day….

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-26-2004 at 02:52 PM