Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #61
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
There is no way any words can thank Cpt.Ron enough for his hospitality that night and the next morning.

He should change his user name to "SaintusCpt.Ronus" - the supreme saint of hungry, thirsty traveling motorcyclists!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #62
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,390
just a thought

could you guys post each days trip on a separate thread?? It's really a waiting game for all those fantastic images to load up on a dial up.
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #63
Tiny
Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer: 768
I'm still waiting to hear about the fight.

C'mon guys. 17 days, heat, sweat, crashing, booze. Who popped who in the mouth? Can't go that long without wanting to pummel somebody. 'Fess up. Who took one in the chops and what did you do to deserve it?
Let's go...speak up.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #64
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by osii
could you guys post each days trip on a separate thread?? It's really a waiting game for all those fantastic images to load up on a dial up.
Sorry about that. I think each day in it's own thread would cause the report to get lost over the long run.

What you should do to fix this problem is Go to Control Panel/edit options/thread display options/uncheck "show images". You will then get links instead of pictures and can easily see what's new from the text. This will speed things up a bunch.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:18 PM   #65
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny
C'mon guys. 17 days, heat, sweat, crashing, booze. Who popped who in the mouth? Can't go that long without wanting to pummel somebody. 'Fess up. Who took one in the chops and what did you do to deserve it?
Let's go...speak up.
yeah, yeah,,,,I was waiting for that too. Nothing more than a few harsh words exchanged the whole trip. Had you been there, we would have had much more excitement I'm sure. Four was a good number to stay focused without too many egos to deal with.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #66
Tiny
Wonky Eyed Bastard

Congrats on that.

That in itself is an accomplishment. Not easy. Four different guys, styles, tempers, ideas, etc. And then there is the whole French thing It says a lot about all you guys. You've put together a nice little squad. Hell, I'd fit right in. I'm a lover not a fighter. And an awesome bike-picker-upper. And you would have eaten better!!! Just ask JL.
Again, congrats. One of the best tirps I've seen on the site.
Brad/Tiny
Old 07-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #67
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by osii
That's too bad! Maybe you could activate your browser option to store the pages visited: like that the first time will be still long but each pic will be downloaded only once and be ready on your drive to be accessed the next time you browse the thread. Hope that works for you...
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #68
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Quote:
That in itself is an accomplishment. Not easy. Four different guys, styles, tempers, ideas, etc. And then there is the whole French thing It says a lot about all you guys. You've put together a nice little squad. Hell, I'd fit right in. I'm a lover not a fighter. And an awesome bike-picker-upper. And you would have eaten better!!! Just ask JL.
Again, congrats. One of the best tirps I've seen on the site.
Brad/Tiny
Tiny would certainly have been a great addition to the group and I guess we would have eaten less in restaurants too

That was a good question and certainly something we thought would happen during the trip. I was happily surprised to see how well it went especially since most of us had met only a few (or only one) times. Must be because I'm very easy going (when everybody does exactly what I want)
Old 07-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #69
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,723
Awesome report guys! Looks like it was a fantastic trip.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #70
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
Tiny would certainly have been a great addition to the group and I guess we would have eaten less in restaurants too

That was a good question and certainly something we thought would happen during the trip. I was happily surprised to see how well it went especially since most of us had met only a few (or only one) times. Must be because I'm very easy going (when everybody does exactly what I want)
I think how R-dubb described it was pretty true to fact. There were moments... some harsh words... a few under the breath mumblings... But nothing that a few beers at the end of the day couldn't remedy! And nothing that lasted more than a few minutes. I guess that's one nice thing about not being too smart...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:57 PM   #71
Tiny
Wonky Eyed Bastard

Hey Dubb!!

Toad just said you ain't too bright!! You gonna thump him now or what?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #72
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Toad just said you ain't too bright!! You gonna thump him now or what?
I can call him names now 'cause I'm 400 miles away !!!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #73
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
There is no way any words can thank Cpt.Ron enough for his hospitality that night and the next morning.

He should change his user name to "SaintusCpt.Ronus" - the supreme saint of hungry, thirsty traveling motorcyclists!
He's incredible for sure I mean the guy wanted to have a beer with us and bring some stuff that we would need along the way. Fine. Then he decided that he would bring food too. Even better!

But in fact, what "vicious Ron" did was to completely and royally treat us for a whole evening and morning In fact for him the work started days ago with finding several dealers and tire suppliers for us, then to prepare and load a FULL pickup of stuff for the camp. You can have a look at some of it on this thread. He told us that he tried to picture himself after several days of riding in hot and dusty conditions and decided to bring EVERYTHING that he would love to have in such a case.

Beer was obviously in the top of the list and he brought 2 of his own excellent beers and had to load by himself this huge bucket of ice for the beers and air containers.

Food was a close second and he surely anticipated that we would be starving. There were many things in the menu but I can't forget those 5 lbs of tri-tip previously marinated and then artfully cooked on the fire . In fact I'm still drooling just thinking about it! Same treat on the morning but I'll let R-dubb speak about it for tomorrow.

Having a place to stay was all taking care of when we arrived with a great site that he reserved and paid for

Removing dust was important too and he brought gallons of water for our Camelbak to clean the dust from our throats, large towels for our showers, rags and Windex for our helmet screens... just to give you an idea on all the "details" he thought about

But the most important was his good spirit and sense of hospitality I mean we were really treated like his guests and I'm ashamed to say that we didn't do much to help since he had everything under control. Stories, jokes, he was the man for that too all along the evening... I swear that days after that night the group was starting to wonder if we had just dreamt about the whole stuff!

So why a "vicious man" then? Well, we obviously proposed to participate for the food and stuff but he absolutely wanted it to be a gift! Then we thought that the strict minimum would be to pay for the camp (ridiculously expensive and 2 nights minimum ) but again he refused and so we hide money in his truck anyway. Well, weeks later I got my Jesse bags back from him and well hidden inside one of them I found the money we had given him Evil, I'm telling you!!!

So you guys must think Ron has been our best friend for the last 20 years to be that generous? Wrong: we met him only once at the ADVrider soiree last July (hell of a ride though ). When I met his wife last week I told her how great her man is but she was already aware of it

Many thanks Captain, you're really The Man!

Before I forget there is one last thing I have to thank you for: the group tried hard to not be too late at our meeting and so in the last 3 hours of that day, we had for once a great and enjoyable pace
Old 07-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #74
DesertRat
Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Hey R-dubb, any chance of making gps tracks available? Some of those sections would make a great weekend ride.

09 F800 GS
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #75
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
Can you give me better detail how to find this road. This last buch of pictures make me want to do this part of the ride anyone want to try it when it cools down a bit?
I'm IN!

...just a matter of when I get my bike put back together...
inte is offline   Reply With Quote