Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #91
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcbride
That thought did cross my mind. Well keep an eye out and ear to the track.
Hey Tom you should have connections for this kind of info eh by the way where have you been. Cominig down this way anytime soon we could do a street ride I have my new wheels and you won't have to wait for me with them on!!!
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:56 PM   #92
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,005
sorry for the late read - I can't believe I missed this!! Great tale guys, looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

Cpt. Ron - way to share the love man.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #93
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,151

Excellent ride, report, and pics!

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #94
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,107
This is one heck of an adventure! You guys kick butt.
Keep it coming.

Three words on how to prevent monkey butt- Gold Bond Medicated. (The green container not the yellow)
The only one who hates MB more than me is my wife who's in charge off adding the meds to it. Before a long day in the dirt she insists that I "powder".
Ain't she sweet!

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #95
ldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb

We crossed the highway with barely a wink and headed down a grade to the banks of the Middle Fork of the Tuolumne River. A wide crossing would connect us with trails leading to Cherry Oil Rd and back up the mountain. Benoit and I scouted this crossing earlier in the Spring and found it too full to cross. I was ready for it this time. This was the widest and possibly most dramatic water crossing of the trip.

J-L leads the way

R-dubb
That's a nice fishing area and folks camp on the flat above where you
entered the water. The uphill to Cherry Oil Rd was not fun with street tires.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #96
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
You know how sometimes things get to be bigger than you imagined. It happened again. I'll finish this damn thing soon. I promise. Only eight more days to go......

J-L's photos are too good to waste.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #97
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,595
great report! thanks for sharing.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #98
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Well, R-dubb got to Reno... here are couple wonderful pictures of doing laundry and tire changes in Reno! Thanks again to Cpt Ron for ordering things up for us!

And lunch at the batting cage/deli while we waited...
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #99
traveltoad
Aaron S

On the road again... ready to ROOST!! I'd tell you where these were taken but I don't know. I was the only one without a GPS so I spent most of the ride in blissfull ignorance as to where we were.

It should be noted that this was the only time R-dubb's bag sat sqaurely on his rack!
Old 07-30-2004, 02:22 PM   #100
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

More of Day Seven

On the road in Reno by 3pm. Still time to get in a few licks before sundown. Went to Truckee and up SR89 to Henness Pass Road. (We should have taken Henness Pass Rd. from Verdi, NV, but I wasn't paying attention.) This is the only east/west unpaved road over the Sierras, and most of what we rode on was paved forest road. It climbs to over 7000 feet and there are some beautiful alpine vistas along the way north from Henness Pass to Sierra City. Nothing tough, just pretty scenery.

Here is the map:

We were starting to feel pretty darned confident about being able to finish the PCQ at this point. New tires, the bikes were all running well, and we were glad to be back on the road. The only issue was Berti's wrist condition. Buzzing up I-80 on the LC4 must have been very painful. He said he would ride ahead and meet us in Sierra City to shorten his ride time, but when we got to the turn off from 89 he followed us into the woods. I had a bad feeling that his situation was not going to improve. Shear determination was preventing Berti from calling it quits.

After Henness Pass, we went looking for Sierra Buttes Rd. (off 49 near Sierra City) Turned out to be a little hard to find. I knew this climb would be perhaps the most spectacular of the trip. It certainly didn’t disappoint. It was steep, and rocky and narrow. Cut into a loose granite mountain side there were uncertain steps and jutting rocks along the uphill edge. The downhill side was a place you just didn't want to be. The road was barely adequate for one jeep, with no turn outs along the two mile climb. Pretty scary stuff, considering the number of falls I'd taken in nearly every imaginable situation on every single day of the trip so far. I motored up the assent in 1st gear at a steady 3000rpm without stopping or slowing down. We all made it to the top, although Berti says he had one near death experience as the bike unexpectedly bounced off of his intended line towards the nearly vertical cut.

After a quick breath, we turned down Butcher's Ranch Rd. This started out as a gravel road, but soon a sign pointed down an OHV trail with a black diamond attached. I paused while J-L scouted ahead to assure us that this was the intended route. Down we went. Very cool indeed. A bouncing, narrow trail with a few off-camber moments, a deep crossing and then some big rocks. Lots of big rocks……

Here's an inset of the section from 49 to Gold Lake. This is an amazing route within easy reach for day trips from the Bay area. Just be aware, that the roads are difficult, very rocky and steep in some places. The GS barely has enough ground clearance to get through some places as you approach Gold Lake. It's only about 25 miles in length and takes 2-3 hours of riding straight through. Points 7 and 8 look like they don't connect on the map, but they really do.

TT cracked a valve cover on the Butcher Ranch trail. J-B Weld to the rescue...

We ended up at Gold Lake OHV Campground at about 7pm. Only problem is we didn't expect to be staying there for the night. It was late and we had no food other than TT's emergency supply. That would have to do, along with a few beers that Berti managed to beg from out neighbors.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-30-2004 at 04:26 PM
Old 07-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #101
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Here's an inset of the section from 49 to Gold Lake. This is an amazing route within easy reach for day trips from the Bay area. Just be aware, that the roads are difficult, very rocky and steep in some places. The GS barely has enough ground clearance to get through some places as you approach Gold Lake. It's only about 25 miles in length and takes 2-3 hours of riding straight through. Points 7 and 8 look like they don't connect on the map, but they really do.

R-dubb
A truely wonderful trail! (Even if I did crack my vavle cover!) R-dubb isn't kidding when he talks about the clearance issue. My GS Adventure dragged it's stock bash plate and the Touratech bash plate pretty hard many times as I slowly picked my way through the rocks! Good stuff indeed!

traveltoad screwed with this post 07-30-2004 at 03:56 PM
Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #102
Berti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
What a day this was! Really glad to be on the LC4-Adv this day. Lots of ground clearance, great suspension, and the bike lugs pretty damn well, pretty useful going up Siera Butte Road.

Briefly, most of my hand/butt problems revolved around going from no riding to 4, 250 mile dual sport days. Then 6 more 12 hour days before my accident. I'd do the ride again on the same bike without hesitation.

B-

blevyibr screwed with this post 07-30-2004 at 03:52 PM
Berti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #103
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
TT has more pics of my "turtle" episode and our lovely dinner.
Let's see...

This is at the bottom of the steep "black diamond" section. It was very steep and very loose! Notice how I'm still up on two wheels...

Now, having already completed the tough section...

Berti makes it look easy.

Here's R-dubb's bike turtling...

Here's the three course meal I prepared for everyone...

The mighty GS waiting to have the valve cover crack/leak attended to...

Let the trail repairs begin!!

Just another beautiful day on the PCQ.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #104
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Day Eight

Early morning at Gold Lake and the mosquitoes were still biting and we were still hungry. I kind of thought the trail along Gold Lake to the north end would be easy. It was more of the same big ass rocks. We were definitely having fun, but my poor bike was taking a real beating. It would certainly help it I learned to ride it better….

Today we would head north through Quincy, Lake Almanor and on to Lassen National Park.

After a short leg north on Hwy89 we turned onto Johnsville Rd through the Plumas Eureka State Park. Continuing through to the west the road becomes very remote and scenic. Perfect GS terrain, rocky but not to rough to make reasonable time. Maybe, I was just feeling good that morning, but this was one of my favorite stretches. After 20 or so miles it connects with La Porte Rd., a fresh, twisty asphalt, forest road through the Feather River valley that I've ridden a number of other times. We made it to Quincy for a 10am breakfast. Not a bad start.

From Quincy we took Buck's Lake Rd. and then cut north on a small dirt track in an effort to reconnect with SR70 along the Feather River. It took a number of wrong turns, dead ends and crossings to get it right.

Approaching the highway we paused for a fun photo with the train and crew who happened to be hanging about.

Just off of Caribou Rd. we made another dramatic climb out of the river gorge and onto a ridge line. (Humbug Rd. I think). At the top was a recent burn. It must have been a hot fire not more than a couple of years ago.

We rejoined 89 and headed through Lassen National Park. Spectacular, as always….

More snow than I would have expected for July.

North of Lassen there were a couple of lava bed trails that traced the PCT. Cool stuff, but not easy to ride through. Lava turns to pumice rather easily in places. We pitched camp at Hat Creek and then persuaded a closed restaurant to reopen. They obliged by making some great burgers. The campground was nearly deserted.

R-dubb

R-dubb screwed with this post 07-30-2004 at 04:39 PM
Old 07-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #105
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
man i'm so sad i did not go

What a incredible ride....

the stamina and the focus require is beyond believe,,hopefully someday I can joing in,,hey i promise i don't fall to sleep...

NOTE:I think the ladys on the party is a Smugmug mistake,,for sure looks a little out of place