Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Sak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
if you are bound to do this... go with aluminum mil surplus cans
much lighter ... all sorts of thread telling you how
Thanks for the tip. If I could find alu cans that fit my weight, width and cost parameters I'd be on them like flies on a cowpat. These polymer ones weigh 10lbs each (just weighed 'em) and once mounted are the same width as my fog lights. I figure I paid $11 each for badass "ammunition for cannon with solid projectiles -- 30 cartridges" stickers and got free fallout shelters for my hamsters!

Mounting them is trickier than I expected because my top box interferes with the lid if they are level.
Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I also went with the smaller cans. Each will hold 2 - 20oz bottles or equal amounts of stuff.

Cans mounted to their frame.

Rear view.

Side View

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,572
nice looking set up.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Saltbox
WTF is this?

Oddometer: 1,340
My current setup, they bolt right on too the factory rack and rear blinker holes:
Saltbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
Sak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
a Dutch rider asked me about the dimensions of the polymer 25mm ammo cans.

external: 345 x 140 x 360 mm
internal: 305 x 305 x 125 mm
length x width x height

The internal length and width are measured at the opening. There are horizontal internal ribs near the center that stick out up to 28mm. This creates a significantly reduced "waist" dimension. These can be reduced but not entirely removed because the external
The lids also have ~8mm tall ridges that could be ground or cut off. My height measurement is in between the ridges, so you could get an addition 16mm by removing these.

The boxes are symmetrical top to bottom, with identical lids on either side.
Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:57 AM   #21
mbarham105
Rocketansky

Oddometer: 1
Best Deal on 25mm Plastic Ammo Boxes + Zen & The Art of Pannier Selection

Hey There- Thanks to the pioneers that went before me (borrowing this phrase from an earlier excellent post in this thread), I was made aware of the 25mm Plastic Ammo Can panniers potential. I did a bunch of searching on eBay and other web sites doing price comparisons that included shipping charges. The best deal I cam up with is this one :

http://shop.cjlenterprize.com/Ammo-C...ale-2-25mm.htm

$42.50 for TWO of the 25mm Ammo Cans, DELIVERED (shipping included). The next closest deal I found was in the mid $50's range (delievered), and on eBay, in the high $50's range delivered.

Another great thing about CJL Enterprises is that they accept PayPal, so if you are like me, and have good reason to be concerned every time you put your credit or debit card out on the internet, you like PayPal, especially for first time buys from a vendor.

I plan to mount these NARROW panniers on my KTM 950 for minor errand runs around town, where I can ride with a little less fear of forgetting I have panniers mounted (like my Hepco Becker Gobi's), in case I try splitting lanes with them in a moment of forgetfullness...

I have done a ludicrous amount of research on panniers and topcases, and created what is very likely the world's most complete list of manufacturers with file folders of photos, by mfgr, model, and type (Aluminum, Roto Molded, Injection Molded, Repurposed Military Surplus, and Misc Home Made).

For now, after a lot of digging, including taking in many invaluable posts here on ADVrider, I have come to some conclusions that I didn't expect. Some of these are :
1) Despite the fact that I'm old school & trained in metal working, and love all things gearhead that mechanical types love, which naturally skews my inclinations toward panniers constructed with precise and sturdy looking, recyclable aluminum, I have concluded that the roto-molded type panniers (i.e. Gobi's, Mil Surplus), and by most indications, the injection molded polymer panniers (Pelican,Mil Surplus) Seahorse,Hardigg,Mil Surplus), are MUCH tougher in terms of surviving crashes and other "energetic events" than are the aluminum cases.

I have personal experience with being hit twice by automobiles, both times with Gobi panniers mounted. My experience, like a number of inmates have also noted, is that the Gobi's (and it sounds like Pelicans too) come out unscathed except from scratches and abrasions....the BOXES that is...because in the case of the Gobi's, as many have noted before me, the cheezy latches that LOOK tough and high quality, are neither, and tend to grenade the moment the boxes take some major (or not so major) impact. These kinds of impacts tend to cause the latch that holds the bags to the rack to shear off the pop rivets holding them to the boxes, and send the liberated latches tumbling down the road. This is when you need the straps (or at least bungee cords) you might not have packed if you want to get home or to a repair outpost with your expensive and detached side box still in your possession.

I have destroyed a Gobi sidebag latch and a Gobi top case latch while walking my bike at a cautiously low speed into my garage (rear end first) and knocking against the wood trim of the garage door opening, causing the latches to fall to pieces. Rather pathetic to say the least.

2) I have concluded with the above in mind, that under no circumstances should one venture far from home without straps holding any Hepco Becker latched side bags in place.

3) One should not expect any aluminum side boxes to survive significant impacts without being moderately to severely deformed and otherwise damaged, permanently (see some of the photos on ADVrider). If the environment is unforgiving, water, mud, dust, dirt, insects, etc might very well begin assaulting the contents of your boxes.

4) If I was to do it over again, and I didn't already own Gobi's and I could have only ONE set of hard boxes to do everything with (town riding, errands, short hauls, adventure touring, etc), I would very likely mount top loading Pelican side boxes. I would LIKE to mount a Pelican Top case, but as has also been noted here on ADVrider, Pelican doesn't make a case that comfortably accommodates a helmet with adequate inside height and significant extra space around a single helmet, let alone accommodate two helmets. Since the Top Case tends not to be subject to the impact loads of the Side Cases, the Gobi Top Case isn't a bad choice still, or even an aluminum Top Case should be fine. In fact, the many many hours my silver/grey Gobi top case has spent in the sun has UV degraded the top surface into a powdery sort of finish (that's a whole other subject). I'd probably go with Aluminum on Top, particularly if money is no object.

5) Finally, for really critical adventures where there is no access to parts, tools, repair shops, replacements, etc, and where your comfort and enjoyment, if not your well being are dependent on the preservation of the contents of your luggage, one could do well to consider dry bags, since they are not going to be deformed under impact loads, though the contents may be squashed in ways never imagined....so careful packing of the fragile stuff, away from the side mounts, is critical. Kind of steers one back toward indestructible polymer side boxes with either A) Latches that have been shown to survive horrific abuse, or B) carry or regularly employ straps to hold the side boxes in place as a supplement to, or instead of, latches that tend to grenade when stressed.
mbarham105 is offline   Reply With Quote