Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Oddometer: 648
Goondiwindi to lake eyre 2009 (tEAM nONGA)

Ok well for some reason we are yet to do a ride report on this so i am going to have a shot at it. Please be nice as this is my first.

Ok well it starts as my self and aus pick Happy fingers up at around 2:00pm in the sunny suburb of hillside.

after a quick blast up the hume and a fuel stop we were on the newel Hwy. about 30k's down the road our trusty navigator Aus turns off the hwy and heads towards violet town. after 40-50k's we pull over and Mr cruzer discovers that is Garmin is set to avoid major roads and this thing was trying to take us the LONG way

With the Garmin issue fixed we have a clear view of the route and head for the border. After stopping at a little pub just outside tocumwal we are told of a camping spot on the river in cobram. And after riding for around 30min in the dark we arrive at our spot for the night.

Now we get to set up camp on the first night in the dark with rain clouds threating to open the heavens for us. As we had to start the fire with sokeing wet wood and a very clean bush we only had a little fire for our cherry popping night.

We had a couple of brews and managed to get dinner in. At this stage it was time for happy to try the Curry that he had been raving about.

Then it happened. they heaven opened and the first night was an official wash out.

At around 2:30 in the morning Auz decided that it was time for him to get up and made enough noise to convince Happy that he need not miss out on such a great night afterthe rain had gone.

I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit. (Rod Kimble)

The front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly, the next day. (Rod Kimble)

cool beans screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 06:24 PM
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,861
Here's to sunshine

Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Day 2

As i was the only one that slept till a sensible hour of the morning all attention was on getting up and going. But right after breaky in the down town metropolis of cobram.

Well If you are in cobram do your self a favor and go to the local bakery dare i say it. It was the best breaky i have eva had any where eva.

After that we just knuckled in and started riding. We were meet with the realization that the KLR had a top speed of 110kph and if pushed any harder Happy was going to go through fuel like a ......... welll i will not go on.
anyway. We decided that the dish in parkes was a must stop so off we went. It rained and pissed down and rained again but hell i love it.

When we got to the dish it decided to rain so it was a very quick pic and off we went.

after a couple of fuel stops we happy needed to purchase a new chair as he was able to destroy clancy's VERY comfy shair on the first night. So once we had picked that up in dubbo we headed off back down the HWY.
we stopped a couple of times looking for a good camping spot but was met with dissapointment after dissapointment. At 1 prospective spot we were met with a very angry land owner and while he mysteriesly went back to the house in a hurry we got out of there in a hurry.

We finally came across a good place. Well for bikes that had knobbies. Myself and aus let happy go into the mud and slop to find a clearing. with a couple toots of the horn and a check if i will make it on road tyres we foubd our camp for the night.

and well what cn i say i had to try the curry. soo hey happy throw a couple on for us will ya.

After a couple of ales and a wombat hunt (unsuccessful) it was bed time.

What a set up.

I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit. (Rod Kimble)

The front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly, the next day. (Rod Kimble)

cool beans screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 05:18 PM
Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Day3

Well after a good nights sleep we awake to quite a view. in all our wisdome we set up camp right next to a creek and it was rather impressive. Unfortunatly the fog was sooooo bad that none of us could get a pic to work properly.

but here is one that was alright.

we were all clear in our intention for the day which was to get to Gundy that arvo.

So off we went.

Now the fog that we were riding in was the worst and thick and horrible soup you could imaging. this crap went on and on and on. We stopped at a fuel station and like riding through a wall it was gone. and moree here we come.

About 150k's out side of moree i decided that i was bored and also forgot that it was a double demerit point weekend. and proceeded to round up cars one after another. (with aus following very closley) We stopped for fuel in moree and had a bite to eat at maccas(oh after happy decided to roll in some time later)

Gundy here we come.

We got there at around 3 and after the reunion of aus and his dad we statred to set camp in the yard. Fortunatly for us(or me) there was an old fishing caravan in the backyard that we were aloud to use. unfortuantly for happy i picked the obly good bed and that meant that happy was in the swag on the grass.

Well we had a look around and settled in when rad28 rolled up from woodburn at around 5. He had worked all day and then jumped on his bike and ride 500k's to gundy. He was a little wrecked. but was up for a good night in gundy. we all went to the local pub ready for a good time ans was met with ... well nothing empty. so we grabbed a bite to eat in the bistro.

the pub was a fizzer so we headed for a meet and greet of aus high school reunion

Now lets talk stupid. We were walking down the main street and noticed these signs. we were a little perplexed at the whole thing.

well the lack of excitment killed my buzz and i went home to bed as did happy after a bottle between him and rad. in the morning i was infored that rad and aus went a little wild till all hours of the morning. At this stage aus had had around 8 hours sleep in 2 nights and was set for a short stint again.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Happy Finger's
Banned

Oddometer: 1,863
do you see what i see aus ?
Happy Finger's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Finger's

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Fixed!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Finger's
Nup
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Maybe this has something to do with the KLRs top speed

Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Day 4

Rise and shine in Beautiful Goondiwindi. What eva. Lucky for us we arrived for the coldest night that gundy had for about 20 years. No take note how rad treats his rather expensive BMW gear. left on the bike UNCOVERED all night, not very good rad what will all those other bmw owners think.

Wake up rad it is morning.

With Happy and myself keen to bed in our freash knobbies we hit Aus up for a good spot to do for a ride.
HE shows us the Goodiwindi common. WOW what a great place.
Off we went. Rad come for a little while but the day before and the nights sleep or lack of took its toll early and he went back to camp.

So that left me and happy to blast around and get some good pics.

As we took off after this pic we came to a clearing that went nowhere. so we turned around. ouit of nowhere blasted the mighty 950 with Aus cruser in the pilot seat. he had seen us taking off and chased us down. (he did very well to find us because the common is farking Massive.)

We had a play and took him back to a couple of spots we had found

then it happened...

Sloppy mud far to fast and......

I had dropped the Xr. well actually i bailed and threw the pig in the oppisite direction. no all you ex or current xr owners will well be aware that if you lay the pigs down they are rather hard to start to say the least.

So what do u do when you see a xr rider tring to kick start the pig with sloppy muddy boots. Happy what do u do?

he gets on his bike and made 3 passes and covered me from head to toe in mud. Fark it its not starting i'll push it out.

We fired up the BBq for lunch and relaxed for the arvo as our departure date was tomorrow and Phil fong was still nowhere to be found.

happy,rad and myself decided that aus's ktoom was looking rather bland so we did our part and mad it prettier.

At around 9pm phil fong rolled up and tEAM nONGA was complete and ready to go.

cool beans screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 07:00 PM
Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Day 5

The big day had arrived it was time for tEAM nONGA to saddle up and get going.

After a quick stop at the bakery for breaky and a fuel up at the servo our next stop was St George. After about K's a few things become very apparent. Happy was till flat out at 110kph, Phil wasn't sure how to shift out of third, rad loved his heated hand grips, Aus was having far to much fun in the barrel drain than on the road and i was going to get beaten to death by the wind and the lack of protection i had from it.

Any who off to St George.

After a quick refuel our next stop was Cunnamulla and Happy went into fuel saver mode as he wasn't sure if he was going to make it. so He took off about 10 min before us and tucked right in for minimum wind Resistance. Unfortunately He got with in K's of Cunnamulla and needed a top up from my jerry.
Lots to see on that road the most amount of road kill i had ever seen on a stretch of road, and the emu's fuck the emu's, i think they wanted to be hit some times.

We all rendezvous at Cunnamulla fueled up and had every intention of getting to Thargomindah by night fall.

After a couple of hundred k's we pass through the township of Eulo, a 1 pub 1 general store town. At the end of the main street we had a sharp right hand turn and then we all saw it and I'm sure we all though the same thing. You have to be fucken kidding me.

WTF. The paroo river was showing 4ft deep and we couldn't see the other side. Happy wanted to try and cross it (wanker) so we consulted the map. We were faced with a 500k detour(um no that is not going to happen)

So off to the pub for some info. The friendly publican informs us that it has been up for a day or two and they think it is still rising. So we ask if he knows any way around. "yeah" he says "bout K's around. THERE IS A FLOOD TRUCK THAT IS GOING THROUGH IN THE MORNING. The old dodge out there. As he points to this old flat bed dodge that has been raised with railway line he continues to inform us that it has NO clutch he just gives her a rev and dumps it into gear along with that it has NO brakes.

The truck looks like we could get all the bikes and gear on it so after a tEAM nONGA meeting we decide that it is worth a shot. So happy and cruiser head off to find the driver. a few minutes later they come back with smiles on there face.

8 o'clock in the morning we are meeting him outside the pub and we are going to give it a crack. Great time to set up camp. Behind the pub

word spread pretty quick of the spectacle that is to unfold in the morning and all the caravaner's trapped there are very excited.

cool beans screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 01:02 AM
Old 06-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Uncoverd riding gear, dear god someone could have been killed!

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #13
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Hey Cool Beans i have a couple of pics to go with your mud ride in Gundy
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time

Old 06-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
cool beans OP
And now i have an Atomik

Yep thats about how it happend

Old 06-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
Happy Finger's
Banned

Oddometer: 1,863
bloody klr rear mudguard

its too efficent
Happy Finger's is offline   Reply With Quote