User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #61
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Here's a few more people I met on the Dragon:

Not certain, but it appears she might have fallen off the bike in one of the curves...??

To be certain, there were a lot of sportbikes....both Pros & Squids. I refused to photo the Squids. I tried my darn'dest to shoot the real Pros....late in the evening when traffic was light. But apparently they were just too fast for my lens. I'd hear them coming, turn my back to them, and snap the shutter when they whizzed by. Here's the result:

But, I FINALLY caught one....suspended in action:

And yes, I also found some dirt out here. I've ridden lots of dirt. Rē and I know all about dirt. But "Dualsport GP Racing" was a new thing for us. I might make it a new Sport. I suppose I'll get to the dirt action, if you want me too. It kept me a little busy. But I'm sure most of you will think its a bit wimpy for your tastes:

Just saying....

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-26-2009 at 02:55 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #62
photojojo
This space for rent!

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive

Just saying....

HF
Now THAT looks promising.
photojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #63
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
You shoulda hit the dirt first so the bike was muddy as hell for the Dragon. great pics!
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #64
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 199
Sweet!
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #65
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Today, I get an early start:

I've got plans for lots of dirt riding. Need to scope this place out. Make some new contacts. Follow some good leads. I've actually got a Plan....I'm following a dirt route to an OHV area. Suddenly, I pass this sign which just stops me in my tracks:

Now, who could resist a challenge like that? Though, I'm puzzled why its apparently NOT a problem for Cars. Only Trucks & Motorcycles.
So, duty calls....I just got a new Plan.

Its a nice curvy road that I'm making good speed on. Soon I pass this greeting:

I've heard of this being discussed around town, and up along the Dragon. Hhhmmm....surprise of the day....I changed my Plan. And woweee...my oh my. This is just about the most gorgeous drive of my life. Views like this are everywhere....all the way to the top (over a mile high)!

I didn't even know these mountains were a mile high. Thought that only happened in Colorado.

Its still early in the morning. I've ridden about 30 miles up this mountain, and never passed a car....haven't seen a human. I'm enjoying the panaromic view of the summit when I hear the sweetest sound rumbling up the valley from the other side. I listen carefully....one...no two. Yes two, for sure. And these aren't any amatuers. No, they are Pros. A finely tuned Racing engine just has a different kind of sound. Some of you know what I'm talking about. And when two of them are resonating in unision...coming at you...it can be a real sweet sound.

Their coming fast, for certain. Not sure when they'll get here. So, I get into position and just wait for my chance. I'm going to have to be really fast with my camera to catch this. Here they come:

Mercy sakes! It was like standing on the pavement at the Bristol Motor Speedway. Oh yeah....did I forget to mention that (in Virginia)? So much happened on this trip, I just can't fit it all into one report and keep your interest.

Anyway, I think maybe these two riders were speeding just a little. But that's purely speculation on my part. After all, what do I know...
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #66
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

R² wants to chase after them. Even I laugh at that. So, we move on. And then we find IT. I didn't really know what I was looking for...all week. But I did know, I would know, when I found IT....you know?

And its ALL dirt from here! But with a 5,000 ft. vertical drop. Bombs away......

HF
Old 06-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #67
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Niiice. need more
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #68
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
Quote:
Wonder if this long lone single skidmark into the oncoming lane was left by one of those professionals.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #69
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

No.....no skid marks left by these two. They were definitely "on the throttle" when passing by me. I'd guess 120 - 140 mph....20 ft. apart....dead center of their lane all the way. It was just a roaring flash as they went by! The trailing wind vortices caught me as I was turning, and nearly spun me off balance. I almost missed that last photo.

HF

p.s. you know how your eye can capture images that take a while longer for your brain to process? In my head...in that photograph in my mind...when I hit Rewind & Play, I'm can see one of them actually wave at me! But, by the time it registered and I could respond, I think they were already half a mile around the curve. I waved back anyway....figuring their minds worked so fast at those speeds, they'd see that too.

HighFive screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 07:07 AM
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #70
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
Quote:
No.....no skid marks left by these two.
Sorry, didn't mean those two. Skidmark was probably left by someone in over their head trying to ride those roads like those two. I think it gets old with people using those roads as their own personal race track. I felt it myself on the Dragon. After a few "laps" I started to view the road as a race track. I didn't like it and moved on.

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'm liking your report, but don't hold those racers in the same high regard.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #71
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

I discover this old, nasty, washed-out, wagon-trail of sorts that drops off into the mountain top. It has a weathered, old, Warning Sign that basically says "Don't go down here in a truck or car because you'll die!" Well, you know that was like a Pike Pass gate for me. I paid my toll and launched into the wild unknown.

It was really nasty for the first 300 yards or so. I was way to busy to snap any photos. It was too steep and slick to get the bike stopped anyway. Crevases, marbles, big rollie pollies, logs....just a royal mess. It was great! But then, it cleaned up and got pretty decent. Looked like this:

Seriously, what's with these camera perspectives. This road was really steep! At least 45 degree angle, maybe as much as 60 degrees in places. I've got the front tire up against a big log to hold it still while I parked the bike for the photo. I was huffing & puffing to climb back up where I shot this picture. Now I looked at it, and it appears its almost the opposite. Kind of looks like I'm pointed uphill, not downhill. This is bizarre! Didn't really think about this until Malibu Dan so eagerly pointed out the angle of his bald spot (during the Spare Key hunt...in Memphis).

Suddenly the little old road just dead-ends! Only a tiny turn-around. But wait....I see something. Maybe a hiking trail, but I'm not certain. There's no signage anywhere, and I don't relish the thought of climbing back up that NASTY road to the top. The trail is a bit overgrown. Its gonna take some bushwhacking! But I've faced that before. Let's see where it goes.

Aaargh....this connection speed is killing me. Sometimes its tough getting a decent connection out on the road. Is anyone having trouble loading these pages? Photo file size too big....clogging the plumbing? Or is it just my location today? I've got to get some different software to better downsize my photos for Web. I apologize for that

Anyway, I've got to relocate for a better connection to continue. Its taking over 5 minutes to turn a page, and too many "Disconnected" alerts....

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 05:43 PM
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #72
photojojo
This space for rent!

Try Irfanview for photo resizing. It's free.

It's really hard to convey the steepness or grade of something in a still photo. You did the right thing in keeping the trees straight up and down giving a reference to the eye. Maybe try getting down on a knee and putting more of the trail in the picture by not putting the bike in the center of the frame.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #73
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,591
Freggin good stuff! thanks for sharing.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #74
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

At exactly 1/2 mile, this claustrophobic trail looked like this:

That's when it happened....for the 3rd time on this trip. I realize I'm all alone, totally Solo. Nobody knows where I am, I don't even know where I am, and obviously no one comes down this trail very often. Man, I sure wish I had my favorite Wingman with me! But I really don't relish the thought of climbing back up that NASTY road. I hate backtracking.

This is when a Problem surfaces. You ever notice...the thing about problems...they're never really a problem until you start thinking about it becoming a problem. Then, its in your head, and....Ugh, You've Got-em Problem! I start thinking, "Gee...I hope this trail doesn't drop me off into a waterfall, or something " Can anyone relate? I really shouldn't have thoughts like that, when I'm out alone....

Timeout: I have to move to find a better internet connection. This is killing me, and now I'm almost out of battery on my computer. Standby...

HF
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #75
photojojo
This space for rent!

Quote:

That raised my heart rate just looking at it on the computer. I can only imagine what it was like to have that pop up on the trail.