Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #91
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Man o man, what a fantastic ride. I lost my grandmother back in October, she had just a touch of dementia towards the end, so I know the feeling all too well.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #92
photojojo
This space for rent!

Oddometer: 470
My wife's mother has lived with us for about a year. I get lots of those TMI stories on occasion. That, and when I take her places she tells people I'm her boyfriend.

Quote:
I'll be holding a very special event right here
Slap me silly! I'm in!!
photojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #93
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
At every update I keep thinking that this can't get any better . . . and then it does
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #94
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,171
Wow ... this gets better and better every day ... thanks HF ... and thank you Polly.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #95
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Cheers for Polly and Camp High Five
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #96
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive

And one year from now, if I can work out the details, I'll be holding a very special event right here:

In!

If I'm invited.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #97
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Great ride report HighFive!

Say, I was lookin up that WR250R on Yamaha's website. Does it really get 71mpg, and about 142 miles per tank?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #98
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Everybody is a little different as far as mileage goes because of mods and riding technique. My reserve light comes on right around 80 miles and I'm getting a pretty consistent ~60 mpg.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #99
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
Great ride report HighFive!

Say, I was lookin up that WR250R on Yamaha's website. Does it really get 71mpg, and about 142 miles per tank?

Yes, that's pretty accurate for a bone stock WRR ridden easily along the road. I was getting that when I first started. But now, not so much...cause I'm a little more like this on it:

With all my mods, I'm averaging 55 - 65 mpg depending upon hard I ride. The useable range with the stock tank is realistically, about 100+/- miles. The Reserve hits with about 1/2 gallon left. I've run mine out to 120 miles without running out of gas. But, I had to be very close.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 01:49 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #100
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

So move on I did...for a long long way, the rest of the day. Didn't get back in to the San Ran until nearly Midnight. That wasn't really my Plan, but you know how that's been going...

NCredneck is right though.....you'd just be bored out here. No big theme parks, nothing serious to waste your money on. Just a whole lot of this everywhere (somebody said they wanted to see more photos...):

Now, I'm going to try something new. Here's a panoromic view (below) panned left to right. Hope this works for you...

And, R wants to show you what it looks like for her vantage point:

Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #101
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Some places I liked, and some I loved. This playground had a real nice sandbox:

And, over here I got to spend time with the 3 Bears:

What...? You still think I make this stuff up? I give you Exhibit 4:

See the black dot down there in the center? This grass was pretty deep. I was in place called Cades Cove. I was having a biscuit because the traffic was totally constipated. Then, I discovered why. A momma bear and two cubs crawl thru the fence and pass me going right to left.

Pretty cool for all the folks wanting to see a bear in this park. They don't know it, but they have me to thank. I seem to be a real bear attractant. But that's another long story...

I could see them much better than you can. And, they really were a lot closer than it appears (kind of like its always "steeper than it looks") in the photos. Every time she stood up high, I'd snap a photo....only to discover I missed it, and she was back down on all fours.

This however, became my golden ticket to sneak around all the cars (for a long way) and GET OUT of that park! I don't recommend you go through Cades Cove on a motorcycle. Your clutch finger, battery, & starter are all likely to poop out. Just saying...

I ended up making a VERY late ride through total darkness from Gatlinburg up over a humongous mountain some 70+ miles back to my basecamp. It was nice, but also a little spooky. I only passed 3 other vehicles the whole way. Ever get that feeling you shouldn't be doing what you're doing....for some apparently obvious reason....which is only unknown to you? Yeah, it was kind of like that.

But WHAT A BIKE! My WR250R absolutely performed flawlessly through this whole trip, nearly 1,000 miles. The most versatile, capable, & dependable machine.....all in one....that I've ever owned. Anyone concerned whether or not these blue babies can "go the distance", need worry no more. I'd rather be lost in the woods on this bike than any other. Period. Hands down. NO CONTEST.

On this particular day, I was in the saddle (more or less) from 8:00 am to 12:00 Midnight (16 hours). I'm so thankful I brought along my Airhawk. I never got fatigued in the backside with that thing. Simply amazing....

HF

p.s. my next post will be my last in this adventure. There's a little more excitement remaining.....maybe.

HighFive screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 03:49 PM
Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #102
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
E P I C

Just joined this ride today, I'm only on pg. 3 and this RR is already epic. Can't wait to get home and get caught up.
Given the authors previous work, I had high expectations when I started reading this.

Great work HighFive.

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #103
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

The final day.....I ride out early to the 'Tail of the Dragon'. Its never too crowded early in the morning or late in the evening. There is hardly anyone here. That will change soon enough. But for now, I've got lots of breathing room the whole way. Its really really a nice road, when there's not much traffic. I make a few uninterrupted runs, then head out to one of my favorite pit-stops in this area:

I just love this place. Its chalked full of little details that make a dirt rider like me feel at home. I like the flower pots:

The bike rentals:

And even the watchdog:

Trust me....this dude knows his business, and how to take care of it!

But I especially like the owner, Mark.

He & I are a lot alike. Look closely at that photo on the wall behind him. He's a trials rider from Scotland. He's on a Bultaco Sherpa-T in that photo. We did some fine bench racing together. He developed an affection for R

Even sat on her a good bit. She didn't mind. She could tell he was a real Rider. Mark was a wealth of information on the area for a dualsporter looking to get dirty. He can hold his own in the twisties too. On this....

Such a coooool bike. Think its about a '97 or '98 model, ZXR if my memory from that era is still good. FAST. And he had tons of intricate mods which were really spiffy & trick.

I returned to the Dragon for a little more venom. I just don't feel release yet. I know I should start heading home. But I don't want this trip to end. Its been one of the best adventures of my lifetime!

That's when I meet Rick, at the turn-around.

He's a local. Lived here all his life. Used to ride this road in high school when it was a narrow gravel lane, without any traffic all day. He still likes coming out just to watch the crowd, and enjoy a few passes through the Dragon. He knows everything that has every happened on the Dragon. A living encyclopedia. He fills in all the gaps (no pun intended). Tells me some of the brightest, as well as darkest moments out there.

He claims once upon a time, they shut it down for a real time trial. Apparently, a mile per minute average is very, very fast through this 11 mile stretch. I can vouch for that. And, then some Pro lays down a 7 minute run.....which is the record to this day. Ho-chi-momma....he had to be hitting 140 mph thru the straights. He doubts that will ever happen again (close it down for some more time trials).

Its nearly noon and I decide to head back to Deals Gap from the turn-around. Bid goodbye to Rick, and then chase down "CBR Guy". He's a good rider with a really nice bike and the full-on Alpinstar leathers. We get held up at the halfway point by some construction workers. They are paving some turnouts on the little edges of some curves (mainly to keep gravel from being pulled onto the road...so I hear).

Anyway, I've been dogging CBR guy hanging right with him and his friend. The flagman stops us. CBR guy is first in line. We're waiting on some single lane traffic to clear. Bikes are packing up behind us as far as I can see around the corner. All our engines are shut down. CBR guy turns and says, "Dude....you Rock on those knobbies! How do you do that?" "Do you want to go first....go around us?"

That's when it hits me. I'm done. I can go home now. I've conquered the dragon! The flagman waves me around and makes room. Then its our turn. R & I lead an entire mile of street bikes on a parade all the way back into Deals Gap. And everyone is watching when we pull in to here.

It was a great moment for us....if only for the irony. After all, that was the whole point. This is the very last photo I took. It holds special significance to me personally, for reasons I'll keep to myself.

I learned three important things during this adventure:

1) Travel lighter, go farther, & be more flexible.

2) Those who wander aren't necessarily lost.

3) Stop over-planning everything. Just pick a destination and go! You'll discover a whole world of ways to get there.

So, I'm going home now. At least that's my PLAN.

HF

p.s. lots of technical stuff about the WR250R is available at: www.wrrdualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 09:27 PM
Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #104
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
That true sense of adventure I think is what makes the most magic. I really want to take an adventure like this I envy you.

P.S. Did you and Krabill start a new site? I haven't even been keeping up well with the WR250Rforum, but a good index so we stop burying all the stuff in the ADVrider thread is probably a good idea
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #105
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Bravo

And yes, we have a new website up now as HF pointed out . . . www.wrrdualsport.com

We will be adding more and more articles, reviews, and writeups as we go along. Bookmark it and check back often