Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
little cat, big cat - gotta crash sometime...

...great rides that took a few turns for the worse...

The destination: Idaho.

Going to check out the Big Cat ride, but not before a jaunt over to the Tahoe area for a "little cat" loop put together by none other than slotard himself.

Step 1: packed & ready:

If only the bike was to look this pristine on my return...

I decided to take it easy & just ride from Orange County to a bit north of Fresno the 1st day.

My brother lives in Friant, just below the Millerton Dam - this fishing spot is just accross the street:

You can see the old bridge busted up in the background - how a haven for paintballers:

Next morning it's off up hwy 41 & 49:

Morning commute on hwy 41:

I couldn't resist ...

Hwy 49:

I finally hooked up with the group in Coulterville & we made our way north:

Quick stop to let our heart rates get down below 200 ... I'll let Greg tell the story. Wanna know what a 950 sounds like locked up inches behind you?

...and Larry had to go to work...

Back on the road to Tahoe:

We finally get to Tahoe & slotard has a "little cat" warm up ride planned for us tomorrow. Key word is "planned". Things don't always go to plan.

Group leaving in the am for the "little cat":

Things got interesting on the way up the hill ... Dan had to play firefighter when his GS adeptly got a little campfire going. From the photo you can see the kindling fought back:

Larry coming up the hill.

Dan coming up.

Greg hitting the turns.

My view going down:

Trailmeister himself.

At this point we waited for a while & got a little concerned when the gap between the last riders got a little long ... turns out our concerns were justified.

Long story short, one-lane dirt road + wide grader + very loose road / GS having to ride through a ditch = severely sprained hand.

Normally this would have been a problem. Dan's a different kind of guy however & road the GS over rough roads for several miles, then road pavement for several more back to Reno. Then rode Big Cat! Then rode home to Washington ... you get the picture:

Injured GS pilot riding out:

Civilation starting to come into view:

Gas station medical treatment:

At this point the group split up -Bob & I headed out for a few more dirt miles.

bob.

me.

We went from wherever we stopped (sparks?) ... accross to Virginia City.

Virginia City.

Then climbed...

to the highest point:

From five to two riders.

The finalists:

---------------------------------------------
STAY TUNED! PART TWO!

..."On to Big Cat" a broken foot, a busted 640, and one rider airlifted out...

inte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 06:16 PM
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

part two: BIG CAT

So now it's time for the main event, on to Big Cat! Bob & I burned pavement from Tahoe to Reno & hooked up with the group where loaded up to trailer to McCall.

I know, I know. Trailering. Whatever. I'd already put in over 700 miles on the thumper over the last two days, so I didn't mind a bit of a break to let the buzz subside...

It's a long road to McCall.

We arrive around 2am & are back up the next morning for a warm-up ride.

Apparently I wasn't warmed up enough because I decided to jump off my motorcycle at about 40 mph...

No harm, no foul.

This time that is.

Larry picked a much more beautiful spot to crash than I did...

Dan coming up, sprained hand and all.

Larry.

We stopped to get some turns in...

Katoom, Eric (with broken foot), and Larry.

--------------------------------------------
UP NEXT, PART THREE: THE JIMMY LEWIS COURSE

inte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 06:17 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Wow, amazing photo's. Everytime I see shots like these I feel as though I should learn more about the camera than just point and shoot. Thanks for posting them.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Part Three: The Jimmy Lewis Course.

Getting a stuck GS out, panic braking, wheelies, dealing with hills/decents, ... this class cramms a lot of information into a short time.

Introduction:

Making sure your bike is properly set up:

Heather Lewis. She teaches along with Jimmy.

A very stuck GS.

Jimmy to the rescue.

Dealing with steep hills (lens really softend this hill...)

We learned proper slide technique as well:

------------------------------------------------------
NEXT: BIG CAT!

inte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 06:18 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
...and the "adventure" just gets better and better and better.

Cool pics Jon. The panaromic photos are really different and add a unique angle to the ride report. Hopefully, Greg Minor will chime in soon with his photos and comments (especially of the helicopter air lift on Friday).

Keep on reading, the adventure continues...
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Big Cat!

There was a lot of KTM stuff going on...

The Dakar dash. A similar setup nearly ripped a guys nose off on the rider later in the day. Busted the cartilage clean away from the bone when the front of the bike bounced out of a hole & the GPS mount smashed the guy's helmet chin bar into his nose ... and he was part of the Dakar team! Goes to show that no matter who you are, you're not invincible...

After a freezing 30+ mile pavement burn we hit dirt. That turned into a mess with people passing instead of waiting, mass dust ... prompted Scott Harden to stage all the riders down the road from that point.

At the end of the road, the climb started.

Now be it evil humors, the McCall Miasma, or just an errant branch on the trail ... my fuel petcock managed to get turned off near the base of the hill. The fuel in the bowl lasted just up to the point I was entering a sliding turn - it ran out, rear wheel slowed up real quick, & I had what would have been a mild high-side ...

... were it not for the tree that was a couple feet away. It stopped me abruptly.

I actually had to use a leatherman to cut the faring away just to turn the key off & free up the bars enough to turn a little. You shouldn't be able to see any wires in the photo - notice the jagged edge of what used to be a dash...

With severely limited steering, the rest of the climb became an exercise in sliding the rear to get around corners - up and down hill. The peak sure was nice though.

I left out an important part of the story, that actually made for a GREAT ride up to the peak - tweaked bike and all...

slotard flatted BIG about 5 or 6 miles short of the beginning of the climb.

All the chase riders ended up blowing by us ... a mixed blessing. We missed lunch, but got to ride a long climb as fast as we liked ... dust-free.

The toll from what I know on this ride was, the guy's nose, a GS broke in half & blew another guy's knee out, and my 640 hit a tree ... and a bunch of other bikes rolling down hills here & there ... I'll let Greg & Bob comment on that one...

--------------------------------------------------------

FINAL INSTALLMENT: MY RIDE HOME WITH KTM

inte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 06:19 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

My Ride Home...

A couple days before I ran teh 640 into a tree, I noticed the head gasket was leaking coolant ... not good considering the 800+ mile ride home.

I pulled the bike apart to assess the situation (that's Vincent in the background fishing out a radiator mount screw ... thanks man!)

Will. This guy's the man when it comes to all things KTM. He had to put back together more than one bike this weekend (eh, Katoom?)

He's also a good rider (more on this later):

The determination was ... the gasket was going to blow. Be it in a day or a year, it would ... hard to say when. Given Larry (our driver) had been airlifted off the mountain yesterday with a broken collerbone, my options were getting limited.

"No problem" says Will & Patrick - two box vans heading to Southern Ca with space for another bike.

Not a bad way to hitch a ride. The view from the passenger seat wasn't too bad either...

The KTM guys were going riding with a few of the Boise crew before they hit the road ... so off we were to some secret trails:

The rain made for some very nice conditions!

The crew getting ready:

idahojoe & company...

The catch was ... there weren't any extra bikes. This was definately a sub-250cc ride, so taking a demo 950 along wasn't much of an option...

Not to worry ... Will had his "beater" mountain bike in the van ... I'm sort of an MTB guy at heart so this was a great option - I stuck the Voightlander in my camel back & rode off in some serious rain to get a few landscape photos...

Road leading to Cougar trail.

A view from Cougar trail.

Then it was back in the van & straight from Boise to So Cal in one day.

Rolled into Adelanto around 10pm, sat down for a nice dinner, then I unloaded my bike in the parking lot & rode the rest of the way to Huntington Beach. Can't say enough for the KTM guys coming through like that, thanks to Will & Patrick.

So ... that's it. Signing off.

inte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 06:19 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslotard

Cool pics Jon. The panaromic photos are really different and add a unique angle to the ride report. Hopefully, Greg Minor will chime in soon with his photos and comments (especially of the helicopter air lift on Friday).

I PM'd you a couple photos that I didn't include in the report - the first photos I ever took with the lens I had shipped to your place!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 PM   #9
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Outstanding. Too bad about all the carnage. You guys are men among men. Thanks for taking us along. The pics are really super.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Great pics, what camera are you using? I really like the b/w, reminds me of my many hours in my dark room.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:24 PM   #11
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslotard

The good helicopter pictures are on my Laptop at my office I will post them Friday. We have been picking on BMW riders in another post but this is a good place to mention just how tough one of them is Dan (Drtbyk) is as tough as they come he rode his bike out of the hills for a good long way when he could barly hold the bars much less twist the throttle (had to be his right hand) Once we hit the road he still had a good 50 mile ride to Reno which he made using two hands to turn the throttle and he never wimpered.I dont have any good pictures on this computer of our Tahoe ride, actually I only have one as my battery in the camera died that day but here is a cool shot of Bob (not so superslo in this shot)
Attached Images

2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #12
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

We do have a story and some cool pictures of a lifeflight taking Larry out of Ruby Meadows which was a good 40 mile out in the boonies thanks to my wife who bought me a Satalite phone and insist I carry it This is a picture of Larry practicing for his Friday event This was Thursday notice the pretty flowers. We think thats what he must of been doing as this was not a tricky spot
Attached Images

2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625

Greg Minor screwed with this post 07-22-2004 at 10:17 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Here is a shot of me trying to look cool like Bob around the same corner. My excuse is I had new Michelin Baja Knobbies and he had worn out MT21's or I could say that the non S 950 just slides better but the truth of the matter is BOB IS A BIG HAM for the camera
Attached Images

2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 07-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #14
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Here is how our ride started Friday This is a trail I had been on 7 years ago on a mountain bike with my wife and my buddy who lives in McCall.
Attached Images

2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 07-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #15
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
...but this is a good place to mention just how tough one of them is Dan (Drtbyk) is as tough as they come he rode his bike out of the hills for a good long way when he could barly hold the bars much less twist the throttle (had to be his right hand) Once we hit the road he still had a good 50 mile ride to Reno which he made using two hands to turn the throttle and he never wimpered.
"Drtbyk" alias "One Hand Dan", "Nitty Gritty Dirt Dan", "Tough Man Dan" was a true hero. He road that big GS Adventure more than 75 miles (25 miles dirt) with what appeared to be a broken wrist on his throttle hand.

I guess we should have realized something was up for the "Little Cat Ride" when it was almost canceled due to a manhunt for a sniper hiding in the woods near Spooner Summit where our first dirt section started. Oh well... just the start of a fun filled long weekend.
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote