ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #76
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
4 days left and counting....

anyone familiar with the lytle creek and give us some advice? we're coming from wrightwood.

there are 3 ways we can get to glen helen but i'm not sure which one has the most dirt sections.......

paging fmf punk and wzltech....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #77
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

map

friday afternoon meet @ 5pm. next stop is the bottom of lynx @ 6pm. let us know if you prefer to start from the shell station on angeles crest so we know who is where.

View Larger Map
Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #78
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,541
Joel,
Are you/we planing on going up Cleghorn and going the back way up to Big Bear?
Saturday:
Ride to Wrightwood for brunch via the newly opened HW2, then to Old Pine Canyon, Lytle Creek, to Cleghorn (skip the sand wash), to Hesperia, to Coxey, and camp at Holcomb Valley Campground.

I was thinking maybe we should go up the front side and head for the trees? The weather is going to be HOT and the thought of riding the flat roads in "Hysteria" has me sweating already. I'm not saying it's not going to be hot going the front way. But I do know a nice river crossing that I wouldn't mine stopping at (plus a few of us will need a shower by then) .

I can't remember the name of the trail but it's the same one we took at the at last Big Bear ride.(we came down it) The trail will dump us out at Bear Valley Ski Resort.

I don't want to step on your plans just making a suggestion. I'll be happy either way.
We would will have to do a little more slabbing if we went the front way but I think it would be worth it.
You also posted that We will be meeting in Wrightwood @ 9:am for brunch, that means we would be leaving around 10:00 & 11:00. At 10:30 today in Monrovia it was 97. This is going to be a hot Ride boys and "Girl"! Going to need a small cooler for the beer on this ride!

Weather report up in the Mountains looks good above 6000ft!Friday...Mostly sunny. Highs 76 to 86 above 6000 feet to 88 to 98 below 6000 feet.

Friday Night...Mostly clear. Lows 58 to 67 above 6000 feet to 66 to 72 below 6000 feet.
Saturday...Mostly sunny in the morning...Becoming partly cloudy. Highs 76 to 86 above 6000 feet to 88 to 98 below 6000 feet.

Saturday Night...Partly cloudy in the evening...Becoming mostly clear. Lows 61 to 69 above 6000 feet to 67 to 72 below 6000 feet.

Sunday...Mostly sunny in the morning...Becoming partly cloudy. Highs 74 to 84 above 6000 feet to 87 to 97 below 6000 feet

Joel let me know if you need any help with the food and Drink stuff. I will be dumping off my stuff at Cathy's Thursday night.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #79
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

Anyone who's coming must sign up so we can figure out the camping arrangement and break the group into 2 or 3 depending on the riding ability.
Jonz & I would like to join in for a day ride. I don't know when or where we'd meet up. It sounds like y'all are still hashin' out the specifics.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #80
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
I'm still circling the airfield on this one, waiting for clearance. Trying to rearrange the schedule so as to get the weekend off but I won't know the verdict until Wednesday.
MeeeTwo
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #81
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
Joel,
Are you/we planing on going up Cleghorn and going the back way up to Big Bear?

I was thinking maybe we should go up the front side and head for the trees? The weather is going to be HOT and the thought of riding the flat roads in "Hysteria" has me sweating already. I'm not saying it's not going to be hot going the front way. But I do know a nice river crossing that I wouldn't mine stopping at (plus a few of us will need a shower by then) .

I can't remember the name of the trail but it's the same one we took at the at last Big Bear ride.(we came down it) The trail will dump us out at Bear Valley Ski Resort.

I don't want to step on your plans just making a suggestion. I'll be happy either way.
We would will have to do a little more slabbing if we went the front way but I think it would be worth it.
You also posted that We will be meeting in Wrightwood @ 9:am for brunch, that means we would be leaving around 10:00 & 11:00. At 10:30 today in Monrovia it was 97. This is going to be a hot Ride boys and "Girl"! Going to need a small cooler for the beer on this ride!

sito, if you're thinking of taking hw38 to seven oaks to moonridge, looks like a lot of slabbing on that one, i prefer not. but we can explore that area sunday morning after brunch and even take that on the way home.

another route after lytle creek is mt pike rd, enter from palm ave, just above the fw215. that's the quickest to get to a higher elevation, then to lake gregory. then after that we have to slab all the way to green valley via hw18 to get back to dirt. from green valley take big pine flat rd (dirt) to holcomb valley creek to camp.

the good thing about hysteria and coxey, it's mostly dirt and in 2 1/2 hours we will be in camp. the less experienced riders will be comfortable on this route.

we can finalize the ride up plan in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
Jonz & I would like to join in for a day ride. I don't know when or where we'd meet up. It sounds like y'all are still hashin' out the specifics.
for sure we will be stopping for breakfast in wrightwood from 9 to 10 am..or earlier, depends how early the FFs want to get up in the morning.

what sito's saying makes sense, having breakfast at 9am may be too late, but who wants to get up at 6am and ride so we can get to wrightwood by 8am.....
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #82
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
IN

Creative scheduling and a bit of juggling says I'm a go.

Should have my new seat by Thursday
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #83
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
IN

Creative scheduling and a bit of juggling says I'm a go.

Should have my new seat by Thursday

here's the weekend line up...
septic
duner
duner's gf
sospe
sospe's wife
sopascat
sopas son
sopas daughter
sopas jon
8)H
rruuger
sito
tbarstow
dannyG
alon
2wheelsgood
randym
imgonnasnap

burger, chips, and chili beans...byob

sat ride....
artboy
jonz
riceless

NSFW screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 08:29 PM
Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #84
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 905
I'm probably going to head out to Holcomb valley campground on Thrusday or Friday and get a camp site. Then do a little exploring on my own and see you all on Saturday. I'll post up my final plans before I leave.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #85
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM
I'm probably going to head out to Holcomb valley campground on Thrusday or Friday and get a camp site. Then do a little exploring on my own and see you all on Saturday. I'll post up my final plans before I leave.
from the looks of who's camping, we need 3 campsites. randy, for sat, if you can find 3 adjoing campsites and level ground it will be greatly appreciated.....
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #86
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

sat riding mileage

this is from mapsource, the distance is pretty accurate and the driving time should be less since we're on 2 wheels.

horseflats to wrightwood...............32 miles @ 0.75 hour
wrightwood to lytle creek trailhead...8 miles @ 0.25 hour
lytle creek to cleghorn..................17 miles @ 3.0 hours
cleghorn/3n44 to summit.................7 miles @ 1.0 hour
summit to holcomb campground.... 45 miles @ 5.0 hours

total miles 122 miles and make sure you get gas in wrightwood if you need to....

driving time is 10 hours, though we could do it @ 8 hours on a bike + breaktime....

if we leave wrightwood by 10:30 am, we should make it to camp at around 7:00 to 8:00 pm. there will be enough time to set up our tents and do the bar-b-q.....

sopascat and duner will bring the support vehicles. contact them if you need to stash your camping equipment and place to keep our refreshement icy cold.

NSFW screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 05:52 PM
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #87
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
one more for diner... Alon
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #88
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,931
i might be down to meet you guys at the bottom of Lynx around 6ish for some evening rockin and rollin !!!!!!!!

i'll text Noel and/or Joel when i get off of work Friday.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #89
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,724
We're getting ready for the weekend, we filled a tank of propane.....

we're wondering, do we need to have an adventure pass on the truck & bikes to overnight in the campground in ANF?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #90
cribaby
Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat
We're getting ready for the weekend, we filled a tank of propane.....

we're wondering, do we need to have an adventure pass on the truck & bikes to overnight in the campground in ANF?
Kathy,
I believe that the campground fee covers you for your stay.

Charlie