Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #61
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredak
Are you coming Tricipilot? Time to try the Sierra Madre Oriental.

SR
You mean to say Sierra Madre Occidental

I've been through there many times but not with the famed explorer Arte
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #62
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Woops, I did mean to say Occidental. I see you have been there many times. I stand corrected.

If Arte is loco enough to go through Tayoltita, I need to meet this guy and go with him. Maybe we will see you too? It looks like this could have the makings of a good adventure!

That sounds good but it takes longer, since from El Salto to Tayoltita would at least take 5 hrs, (not sure) then Tayoltita to San Ingacio is all a river bed ride, full of gravel, that takes about 4 hrs on jeep, dont know on bike.

would need special planning.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #63
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Yeah that's true. It would have to be a 2 day trip, spending the night in Tayoltita, with maybe 5 to 10? km of riverbed.

It's just a suggestion, It's your trip. Remember you can always take the highway from El Salto to Mazatlan but it is hard to get together a group of 6 or 7 or 8 locos willing to go deep into the Sierra.
but it would worth to see this near Tayoltita

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #64
aaron_mx
Duranguense Biker

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
but it would worth to see this near Tayoltita

I think is a little difficult to reach this point on a bike!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #65
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_mx
I think is a little difficult to reach this point on a bike!
quizas en tu mente.....
Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #66
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
He said that at 11 the night before he was attacked by armed men with pistols and machine guns.
When I went through there in October people in Mazatlan warned me about those "road blocks." I didnt give much credence to the warnings as I thought they were being overly dramatic. Guess I should have paid more attention.

Who are the folks setting up these road blocks? Drug cartels, or just well armed bandits?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #67
aaron_mx
Duranguense Biker

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Yesterday I rode Mexico 40 from Dgo down to Copala, Sinaloa to meet up with another ADV rider (Misery Goat) and then back to Dgo. Doing that road twice in one day must be getting close to setting some kind of record for most curves in one day. It is about 10 hours of curves, maybe 7 hours of tight curves. The KLR has crappy breaks and I wear through break pads fast. I wore a brand new pair of front break pads down almost half in one day.

Somewhere between the Espinazo del Diablo and the Dgo-Sinaloa border I came across this scene. Apologies for the small size of the pictures. I must be getting jaded. I didn't even bring a camera on this ride. I just happen to have a camera on the cell phone so I took these pictures.

This truck was hanging off probably a 100 m cliff. All of the wheels were in the air and the only thing keeping the cab from falling was the trailer hitch. The truck was refrigerated and carrying produce. They had brought up a dump truck full of rocks to chain to the trailer and anchor it as they offloaded the produce.

I personally spoke with the driver and he was visibly shook up. Literally shaking 12 hours after it happened. He said that at 11 the night before he was attacked by armed men with pistols and machine guns. He wouldn't stop at their road block so they chased him shooting at him. Fearing for his life he got going too fast and finally lost control. Hijo Le!

Keep it safe

Saludos

SR
The shoots for the men of the truck was at 11pm? A warning to avoid riding at nighty in that road... I rode that road sometime with a guy with another DR200 from Torreón.

I would like to do the Durango - Concordia - Durango sometime in one day, I prefeer to do one sunday, maybe next one? My DR200 also have crappy brakes, but my bike is lighter than KLR650
Old 05-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #68
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Road blocks on main highways are becoming very common. They are done more frequently at night, but I've heard of it happening during the day as well.

In my region, northeast Mexico, they are mainly done by criminals looking to take away your vehicle for other purposes. They mainly target SUV's and pick up trucks. Although a close friend of mine got his minivan taken away from him. This happened on the toll highway from Laredo to Monterrey. My friend and his wife were forced out of the minivan at point gun. They did not ask for cash, jewelry or anythig else. The bandidos just got on the vehicle and drove off.

Another person I met recently was also forced out of his SUV. He was cut off by a pick up truck as another truck stopped right behind him. Three men aproached them with automatic rifles forcing them out. Now this is the funny part. The bandits asked them if there was anything inside the vehicle they wanted to keep. They said just the luggage since they had gone shopping and the wife's purse. Two gunmen strapped their rifles to their backs and proceeded to unload the luggage and properly set it on the sidewalk and handed him the wife's purse! The leader asked again, is there anything else in there that you need? Last chance! Can I get my sunglasses? The guy said. One of the thogs reached in and handed them to him! Can you believe this shit!!! This guys were not in a hurry at all. Which makes you think that they know that the police, weather local, state or federales are not going to interfere! This happened about 200 meters after crossing the border into Nuevo Laredo. Unbelievable!!!

This two incidents happened within the last four weeks, to people I personally know. Go ahead and extrapolate to calculate the frequency!

I have not heard of any incidents like these happening to motorcycle riders. It is clear that in this area, they are looking for just vehicles that they need for other purposes, but you never know what you might run into. We need to be very cautious.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #69
Rapperdoug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
It's funny, I just rode this route about 4 weeks ago, and we left Durango around 3pm, not knowing it would be dark before we got to Mazatlan... Towards the end of the mountain section, when the sun was just going down, we came through one of the mountain villages where everyone who looked at us just seemed angry .... Up to that point, every single person we encountered waved at us or smiled, etc... With really no exceptions.. I was thinking how this mountain village must not be a nice place to roll through when it was later in the evening - I could easily see them setting up and robbing people along that stretch..
Worth noting - you should be leaving Durango no later than 1pm if you want to assure yourself that you'll make it to Mazatlan in full daylight ... Otherwise you'll be riding at least part of the way in the dark.
Rapperdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #70
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR
Yesterday I rode Mexico 40 from Dgo down to Copala, Sinaloa to meet up with another ADV rider (Misery Goat) and then back to Dgo. Doing that road twice in one day must be getting close to setting some kind of record for most curves in one day. It is about 10 hours of curves, maybe 7 hours of tight curves. The KLR has crappy breaks and I wear through break pads fast. I wore a brand new pair of front break pads down almost half in one day.
Keep the RPM up and roll on/off the throttle as you go through the turns. I only use the brakes in the tight hairpins, and even there, it's just a quick speed adjustment and back on the gas.

The V-Strom has just OK brakes (granted, compared to the KLR they are like a force-field... ), but it's irrelevant to the fact that I get over 40K out of a set of pads. We did well over 4K miles at a very good clip on the trip that pic is from (both Remarksman and CrazyBrit are fast road riders, you gotta work hard to stay ahead of them without slowing them down) and there was no discernible wear to the pads, even after running El Espinazo both ways.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #71
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,938
The 40 was pretty tame when Stephen and I rolled through.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #72
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR
I don't know about the pads on the V-Strom but the pads on the <2008 KLR have about 2 square inches of surface area.
Yeah, I had a KLR of that vintage. Sort of like a Flintstone's bike, you get more effective braking by dragging your heals on the ground... CrazyBrit bought that bike from me and replaced the rotor with an oversized Braking rotor. It made it less scary to ride, but still didn't have as much braking power as a "normal" bike.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #73
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR
Those road blocks a real. Here in Durango we probably hear about a dozen incidents on that stretch of road a year but I am guessing there are several times that many incidents that are not reported...............So all of this just serves as a reminder not to travel at night in Mexico.
Thanks amigo for being the "Durango resident Gringo" on the ground info source. You and the Mexicanos that post here are an invaluable asset to this forum. Mil gracias a todos......

However, I am glad I didnt talk to you before I put in about 5 full dusk to dawn nights riding in Sinaloa, Michoacan, and Oaxaca! I thought that I would be OK, and i was OK.. Just lucky I guess.

I had always thought that if I had good enough lights, I would be OK riding Mexican open range highways at night. I also thought that more remote I was, the more safe I would be at night. Dark and secluded dirt road = stealth.

However at the time, I was only worried about 4 legged animals and cars without lights. Little did I know, I now get an idea how naive I was about the whole safety situation............. However, I would do it all again tomorrow in a heartbeat. Maybe I didnt have trouble because I stayed in el campo???? Quien sabe????????????

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 09:57 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #74
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Thanks amigo for being the "Durango resident Gringo" on the ground info source.
Look. I love Stephen. I really do.

But until and unless he meets up with Ingrid (:)

(And Oh By The Way I've told him where to find her)

He has no (Durango) street cred with me

... just kiddin SR
Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #75
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I talked to her over dinner for maybe two hours.

You could have her for life! Think of the possibilities!!!