Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #91
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Bobloblaw

OK,

This is the hotel we stayed in, reasonably priced, and an easy walk to the center.

http://www.durango.net.mx/homeIntern...les.asp?id=290
MCP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #92
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Hey SR, thanks for the info. I'll send you PM when I'm gettin close and we could meet for a taco
Allan,

You're going to be our "Durango Expert" when we hold ALARR IV. We'll be staying there after the rally on our way to Copper Canyon. Are you headed to Copper Canyon also? You could also become our "Copper Canyon Expert"!

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #93
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Well I don't know about "expert" but I would like to meet up with you during the ALARR IV ride and maybe even tag along to Copper Canyon. Sounds like fun. I will keep an eye out for the route and schedule.

SR
No route, no schedule (for the ride to Copper Canyon). We'll probably come up with some sort of plan at the rally.

I'm glad you're planning on attending. It will be good to see you again.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #94
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Photos of the new Highway

Construction on the New Highway.

It's neat to see the new bridges and tunnels.

This is not the big Baluarte bridge. I havnt made it that far yet but the access roads are fun to explore.

It is always fun to be the first Geologist to see a new rock face. Here you can see an intrusive dyke cutting up through these volcanic ash tuffs. The dyke is then cut by a fualt toward the top of the photo.

SR screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 03:06 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #95
SR
Studly Adventurer

The Old Highway

I cant wait until they finish the new highway to get some of these trucks off the old highway.

Monday of last week. The cab was in pretty good shape and the driver probably survived if he was wearing his seatbelt?

Thursday of last week. This guy passed me on a double yellow about 10 minutes before this happened. This Father Of The Year he had his whole family in the car on the Espinazo de Diablo and no one was wearing a seatbelt. He'll have some time to think about seat belts while he heals. He had a nasty looking compound fracture on his leg. Thankfully the kids didn't look too badly hurt. You can see from where the front bumper ended up that the car went from forward to reverse in a split second.

SR screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 05:46 PM
Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #96
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,235
That road truly is safer on a motorcycle than in a car. Looks like that dumbass was in the oncoming lane when he struck the truck. Good to see you out riding. Looks like Darwin's theories are proven with some regularity on that great road.

jimmex screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 04:56 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #97
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
That road truly is safer on a motorcycle than in a car. Looks like that dumbass was in the oncoming lane when he struck the truck. Good to see you out riding. Looks like Darwin's theories are proven with some regularity on that great road.
+1. My thoughts as well.

Here's Mark883's recent vid of the Espinazo del Diablo.

Enjoy.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #98
jimmex
Rider

The ride down to Nayarit is all pavement?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #99
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Don't know about you, but I'm good to go for this route the day after Christmas. Will be leaving Dallas Christmas day and can pass through San Angelo on the way down.

Maybe SR can join in on some of the fun.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 11-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #100
jimmex
Rider

Bring electric vest.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #101
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Bring electric vest.
Yep. Did Loco Coyote in Glen Rose yesterday. Had the Gerbings heated liner cranked and heated grips on high. Wind chill was respectable.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #102
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Yeah that road probably is safer on a MC than a car. At least on a bike you can stay further into you own lane. That guy was driving like a dumb ass.

Last weekend myself and 2 other guys did the 12 hour ride across the Sierra from southwest from Mezquital DGO to San Blas Nayarit. It's about 450 km of curves on brand new pavement down to the coast. It is like the Espinazo but three times longer and no traffic! Amazing! I have some photos at the office.

This weekend I took the family down to Mazatlan in the jeep for the Thanksgiving holiday. You can bet my kids were wearing their seat belts and I was in my lane. .
Can you recommend a good mid-point to overnight? I'm thinking I might make this run after Christmas.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #103
Axel White
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
I cant wait until they finish the new highway to get some of these trucks off the old highway.

Monday of last week. The cab was in pretty good shape and the driver probably survived if he was wearing his seatbelt?

Thursday of last week. This guy passed me on a double yellow about 10 minutes before this happened. This Father Of The Year he had his whole family in the car on the Espinazo de Diablo and no one was wearing a seatbelt. He'll have some time to think about seat belts while he heals. He had a nasty looking compound fracture on his leg. Thankfully the kids didn't look too badly hurt. You can see from where the front bumper ended up that the car went from forward to reverse in a split second.
Where in the hell is there a double yellow on the EdD?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #104
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Jim the new road from DGO to Nayarit is at least 90% paved. There is an approximately 20 km stretch south of Huazamota by the border of DGO and Nayarit that is not paved, but they were working on it last week so it is probably even less by now. This road was built to access the indigenous Huicol communities in the Sierra and even when it's paved wont be the fastest way from DGO to the coast, so I don't think it will ever see a lot of traffic and trucks like the Espinazo.

And yes it could get cold in late December but it might not be that bad, depending if there is a cold front or not. I think it is kind of fun when it is really cold at altitude to drop and feel the whether warm up as you get down to the coast. Right now we are having some of the coldest whether in years in DGO, it's way below freezing.

http://www.elsiglodedurango.com.mx/n...anguenses.html

22 below zero Centigrade in Guenacevi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Can you recommend a good mid-point to overnight? I'm thinking I might make this run after Christmas.
Schizzman.

This road is kind of tough in that there really is not a great place to stay midway. These short winter days make it a little more of a challenge. From what I understand there is a hotel in Jesus Maria Nayarit that you could stay at if you absolutely had to, these ADV riders did.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/alpi...e-Sierra-Madre

Last weekend we left DGO at 8:00, had menudo and coffee and filled up gas an hour later in Mezquital, crossed the Sierra and got to Ruiz Nayarit around 6:00, which is when it gets dark. We could have stayed in Ruiz and I have, but it's a dump compared to San Blas. Even though it was dark, we forged on to San Blas. It was about another hour in the dark with 30 km on a toll road and 30 km on a windy road down to the coast. Not too bad.

Let me know if you need any company.

SR
Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #105
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oh yeah some pictures!

Dave on the GS12

Dan "Lunatic" on the DR

Road winding up the mountain.

I dont know why Dave is always on the wrong side of the road. He wouldnt last long on the Espinazo!

Typical Scenery. No where else on earth is there so much volcanic rock. There is an active volcano far in the distance venting gas. This might be the I am not sure what valcano this is, maybe Ceburoco or maybe el Volcan de Colima?

Unpaved Stretch

Indita

More: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603538

This road is so new that it doesn't appear on Gui Roji. If anyone needs a GPS track let me know. Actually, it's not that complicated because once you get on it, it's the only paved road around.

SR

SR screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 06:45 AM