ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #556
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribaby
"by the way learn to ride = not crash"

oh no you dinnet! Please, do tell... how does one Learn to ride without a crash here and there along the way? I think I'm doing pretty good for having all of about 2 years of riding. I don't feel too bad for crashing on that hill, I rode down it standing on the pegs. I would have made it too if I wasn't TACKLED by that fuckin tree lunging at me for no reason.

I think there might be a picture or two of me crossing a river that have yet to be posted that will make you stfu
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #557
Mojave Jack
Time - two edged sword

Oddometer: 62
thanks a million...

Hey, thanks for welcoming someone new...what a great group and place to hang and ride...

Thanks DR and Kathy for a great trip, and for the food...In fact, there are many others I need to thank for the food mooching I did...

Will post some pics when I unpack (late, I know)...Thanks H8Chains and M1Jeep!!!

Mojave Jack
John - the idiot with hwy pegs on his dr650 (and on the trail...thanks Chris!)
Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #558
purelick
DIRTRIDER

Oddometer: 749
Great time. Thanks to all, great group of people. I cannot wait to play with you all again. special thanks to m1jeep . see you al next time
purelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #559
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,313
Oh yeah.....almost forgot,got home last nite 7 ish, at wrk today great trip
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #560
dirty adventurer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Great times at Kennedy Meadows! The single track riding was amazing. It was great meeting you FFs

Thanks to H8chains, M1Jeep, and Dune Rat for setting this up and cooking up the carne asada feast. Cathy's brownies topped off the meal nicely.

I'll post more after work and check my camera to see if I took any pictures.

John
Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #561
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Another awesome trip! It was good seeing you guys up there in that spectacular riding area --
Thanks DR and MJeep for setting that up!!

Dan
terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #562
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Thanks for the food and ride ,was glad the i can take some o you ridding and have fun ,I fell for the turn around crew ,but those Turn Around Riders some day will make it to the end

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #563
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,339
Laugh What a Trip!

So I get home noon30, start unpacking, have a few dishes to clean so I start the dish water, get side tracked and flood the kitchen. So I'm just now checking in.
That was a great trip to KM with some really good company!
Thanks go out to all of you FF's for a very memorable weekend.
Special thanks to M1Jeep for putin it on, DR and Sopascat for the eslo feast and to all the photographers for not posting any evidence of my bike sleeping.
TrailTricks led a great ride on Friday, showed me a whole different side of the park. The group I rode with Sat. was great, we were really having fun, especially providing the entertainment for the huge group of pusses that wouldn't cross the river in Monache Meadows!

Rich
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #564
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Thanks to all who put forth the effort for making this trip happen (H8chains, DuneRat, M1jeep, etc..). I know there is always a lot of effort & planning that goes into even a small event like this, making sure there is enough food for everyone, etc....

I just took a handful of pic's during the trip.....

AnySunday & I were driving in from SB. We intended to get up to KM early enough Friday that we could fit in a short ride. My flight was delayed Thursday night, so I got in to SB Friday morning, which put us in to KM around 5ish....so no ride!

Pulling out of SB...

At the junction of KM road/395, the ambient temp was 106F, by the time we got up into the meadows, temp dropped down to low 70's.
It took just over an hour to get from 395 up to Troy CG. Now I understand why you would not want to pull a trailer up or down this grade....it's a tranny & a brake killer!!!

About halfway up....looking back down to the desert floor.

After making the massive ascent, you reach the meadow's....which are pretty incredible. This place is so much bigger than I had imagined. Well worth the 4 1/2 hour drive from SB!!

AnySunday caught rockin' out to Madonna on the long climb up to the meadows!!!

As we neared the General Store, we came upon a fellow ADV'r. I don't fully recall his name (maybe Dan?). Anyway, AnySunday & I both failed to really look @ the thread & find out exactly where to go. Neither of us had been up to KM so we were winging it. When we caught up to (Dan?) he mentioned he heard something about Troy CG & make a left @ the General Store, so we continued on. This would not be the last time of the trip we would come across (Dan?) & have to figure out directions!!

Stopped here on Saturday afternoon after our ride to replenish supplies. Some locals on the front porch when we walked up, they didn't seem to be the friendliest bunch.....but maybe they were skeer'd of AnySunday's hair......or maybe they were offended by the graphic's on his bike!?!

Not a very good pick...at the right side of the pick behind the van you can see a Ford Powerstroke...another victim of the climb up to the campground. We came across another guy pulling a trailer which was victim to the climb.

Thanks to whoever thought to post directions....being that we were immature & did not do our homework, we had no clue where to go....these led us directly to camp.

Camp....more arrived later in the day on friday & on Saturday. There was a nice turnout!

Temporary home...

After setting up camp, I thought I would start the EXC to see how bad the jetting was. After mulling over the options, we decided to check out the carb & see if there was gunk clogging it up. AnySunday pulled the drain cap from the bottom of the bowl & pulled the pilot jet out. We found gunk, cleaned up the bowl & the needle.....FIXED!!! (we thought).
The bike started right up & ran well enough (considering the altitude & running jetting that works @ sea level).

Saturday morning comes & people decide which group they want to ride with. A group of 9 or 10 guys formed to go on a more "difficult" route with Javier. AnySunday & I joined in that group. Although H8chains was not riding due to injuries acquired on a recent ride, being the mature one of the group he got all of us rider's together for a group photo & explain the rules of the group ride.
One of the rules that was discussed was "always ride the rider behind you", which basically means watch out for the guy behind you...if you come to a junction or merged trail, etc...make sure the guy behind you see's the direction you take so he know's where the group is going....& that he's still with the group. THIS SIMPLE RULE WOULD BE BROKEN WITHIN 3 MILE'S OF THE RIDE!!!!

Here's a pic of some of the guys pre-ride....H8chains has a better photo....

OK, back to the ride.....
After H8chains takes our photo, our group of 9 or 10 guys take off following Javier. We go down the CG access road to where it dead-ends into 2 trails. One trail winds it's way up the side of the mountain, the other lower trail run's along the base of the canyon. I was riding in the middle of the pack, 4 guys ahead of me & 3 or 4 guys behind me. Anysunday was riding near the back staying out of the dust.
I was riding right behind DannyG, when we came to the end of the road & the trail-head, DannyG checked to make sure I was behind him, I watched him go up the trail, I stopped & looked back & saw the rider behind me....I went up the trail. About a mile up the trail, riding right behind DannyG, mid throttle my bike dies....like it's out of gas. After many attemps it would not start. Several rider's went by me asking if I was ok, etc. I told them my issue & they said they would go up to the group & let them know. I wasn't too worried as I knew AnySunday was still behind me as he had not passed me yet. After several minutes on the trail, I was waiting for 1 or 2 more rider's in our group to ride past me. No one came by & I heard no bikes behind me or down in the cayone....very odd! I decided to try & bump start....no go. I rode/pushed the bike down to the trail-head at the junction with the road. I was suprised to see no one there.....where the hell is AnySunday??? I waited at the road for a few minutes....looking/listening up the canyon where the 2 trails go....no sounds of bikes, no rider's....nothing!!! I assumed since AnySunday did not come by me & that he was not at the road, he had bike issues & went back to camp.....however, no one that came by me on the trail mentioned anything....and if everyone waited for the guy behind them....they would know something was up.
So after several minutes I figured I better start walking/pushing back to camp. I figured by staying on the same trail/road we rode in on, someone would come across me at some point.
I made it back to camp after a nice little work-out. Put the bike on the crate & grabbed a beer to mull over my options.
About 20 minutes later AnySunday rides into camp.....not looking very happy I must say!!! I think he thought I may not have stayed on the trail (which is a big no no) since he couldn't find me. I explained my story, blah, blah, blah.

I asked him what the hell happened to him & how did I not come across him as I came down the only trail we were on???
He said that he was riding in back & trying to stay out of the dust....when he got to the dead-end of the road & the trail head....there was no rider waiting for him. He saw the 2 trails I mentioned earlier....moto tire tracks on each trail.....the dust from the rider's ahead was lingering in the canyon, giving the appearance that the group took the lower trail. AnySunday took the lower trail assuming that was where the group went.
Apparently this lower trail is shorter than the upper trail, by the time he got to the top, he met up with the waiting group. Someone told him that I was just down the trail with issues...so he said that he would go down & find me. Well I guess I had already reached the road by that time & started walking back. When he didn't see me he started looking around the area on other trails to see if he could find me.....all the while I was at camp enjoying a cold beer!!

AnySunday trying to figure out the problem on my bike after the blown ride!!! I think the look on his face say's it all......

Regarding the mechanical issues: We pulled the bowl off the carb & found that the pilot jet backed out & was sitting in the bowl. Easy fix......put it back together & went on a nice 37 mile loop ride. Light rain, no dust, great traction, beautiful scenery......unbeatable!!!

The reason I took the time to write this long boring post is because AnySunday is too nice of a guy to do so himself. But I have to tell everyone that this shit pisses me off!!!. Obviously I was not there when AnySunday got the trail-head & no one was waiting....so I don't know what the deal was.....BUT.....each rider that passed me on the trail assumed that there was another rider behind them & that rider would reach me.....but there was not another rider!
As it turns out, being that I was only 3 miles from camp, it was not a big deal.....but then I think, man what would have happened had I been down in some of the canyons we rode through where there was no chance of pushing a bike out?? There were trails we rode where we did not see another person for a very long time....which makes for great riding.....but another reason to keep a heads up with the other riders.

Venting over......

We had a great trip & look forward to going back. Like I said before, well worth the drive.

Again thanks to Joel for breakfast, DuneRat for dinner, M1Jeep for organizing, Javier for carb cleaner, firewood & leading the ride, etc.....
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #565
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Did anyone no if Sito still alive

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #566
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
sorry to hear sbbilder and anysunday's riding got messed around......

during the pre-ride briefing, it was a small and manageable size. but by the time i took this picture, it swelled up...

some of the riders in that picture were not in the briefing, obviously they don't know about this " you are responsible for the rider behind you, and if you lose that rider, you have to go back and find that person".......

i even heard javier emphasized at least a couple of times that "the rider must wait at the T for the next rider and leap frog as the next rider shows up.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #567
trailtrick
goat trail rider

That group go from 8 to 16 or so back to 10 ,back to 8 and to 5 in the first hour o the ride ,I guess some think the i ride the hard stuff ,but was nothing to hard o technical on friday's o saturday rides
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
sorry to hear sbbilder and anysunday's riding got messed around......

during the pre-ride briefing, it was a small and manageable size. but by the time i took this picture, it swelled up...

some of the riders in that picture were not in the briefing, obviously they don't know about this " you are responsible for the rider behind you, and if you lose that rider, you have to go back and find that person".......

i even heard javier emphasized at least a couple of times that "the rider must wait at the T for the next rider and leap frog as the next rider shows up.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #568
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
i felt bad for not riding on this event. it was one of the most techinical riding for us and km is no doubt a beautiful place with hundred miles of single track.....

the weather was perfect, 70°s in the daytime, mid 40°s in the evening, and it rained, thus no dust throughout the entire afternoon.

jim and i drove up late and on the way, some of the firewood fell off and littered highway 395 near red rock canyon.....

here's jim trying to retrieve some of them....

and dodging the traffic...

we reached the nine mile canyon turnoff with little daylight left. and to give you an idea how steep that road is, here's a graphic display

more of my rr and pics tonight....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #569
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
No love lost!!

It can easily happen with a large group.

I'm looking forward to riding with Javier next time. I heard the terrain they were in was fun. DannyG looked beat when they got back to camp so I'm sure it was good!!

OK, so when's the next trip you FFr's???
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #570
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbillder
It can easily happen with a large group.

I'm looking forward to riding with Javier next time. I heard the terrain they were in was fun. DannyG looked beat when they got back to camp so I'm sure it was good!!

OK, so when's the next trip you FFr's???
I no 3 guys took the short trail ,Dave ,behind was the guy on a xr 400 and the last guy was any sunday,next ride for me is colorado in labor day ,idaho the weekend after and piutes after that and every weekend to is snow in

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast