ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #76
Shrek
The adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
Memories are what keep us happy. And I can see that in your sentences.
Why not join me on your bike this summer? Another friend here wants to join me too.

When are you planning to do this trip, and what route do you want to take? What distance do you want to cover?I am definitely interested in a good trip! I would go with a friend of mine. Do you plan to take a tent or stay in a hotel/hostel? I am just asking in case you want me to bring a mini gas heater!
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #77
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek
When are you planning to do this trip, and what route do you want to take? What distance do you want to cover?I am definitely interested in a good trip! I would go with a friend of mine. Do you plan to take a tent or stay in a hotel/hostel? I am just asking in case you want me to bring a mini gas heater!
Hopefully, I plan to set off in July. The route will go along Aegean and Mediterranean with plenty sightseeings. Then I want to ride up to Cappadocia and some parts of Taurus Mountain Ranges. This will be the most of the route and there might be some changes as well. I plan to take tents as much as possible. A gas heater? For what? To cook?
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #78
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne
Thanks for taking the time to post and share.
That was a sheer pleasure sharing them with you.
Thanks for your interest.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #79
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Great, thanks!
Glad that you have liked it. Your pleasure.
Cheers...
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #80
PerpetualMotion
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 32
Keep me informed, I might be able to meet you somewhere along your route :)
PerpetualMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #81
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion
Keep me informed, I might be able to meet you somewhere along your route :)
We are already five with you. We'll see whose gonna join me
I'll start a thread in the related bit of the forum.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #82
Shrek
The adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
Hopefully, I plan to set off in July. The route will go along Aegean and Mediterranean with plenty sightseeings. Then I want to ride up to Cappadocia and some parts of Taurus Mountain Ranges. This will be the most of the route and there might be some changes as well. I plan to take tents as much as possible. A gas heater? For what? To cook?
Selamlar!Of course, care. The heat should be preserved minigaz: o) Let's talk about the private message from the rest.

Teşekkürler!
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #83
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek
Selamlar!Of course, care. The heat should be preserved minigaz: o) Let's talk about the private message from the rest.

Teşekkürler!
Better not to hijack here. Check PM.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #84
DutchWee
Adventurer
 
DutchWee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 30
Question camping in turkey

Hi Venturer,

Great ride report! I’ve been thinking about riding my bike trough Turkey this summer, after spending some time in Istanbul (And princess Islands = Brilliant).
It’s going to be my first big trip outside western Europe. I wanted to ask you, what the rules are regarding camping in turkey.
I see you camp in the wild but at other times you’re at campsites, sometimes at a restaurant ore something. I was actually wondering whether it is allowed to camp in the wild and if it isn’t, are campsites widely available (and expensive)?

Thanx and ride safe!
DutchWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #85
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWee
Hi Venturer,

Great ride report! I’ve been thinking about riding my bike trough Turkey this summer, after spending some time in Istanbul (And princess Islands = Brilliant).
It’s going to be my first big trip outside western Europe. I wanted to ask you, what the rules are regarding camping in turkey.
I see you camp in the wild but at other times you’re at campsites, sometimes at a restaurant ore something. I was actually wondering whether it is allowed to camp in the wild and if it isn’t, are campsites widely available (and expensive)?

Thanx and ride safe!
Thank you very much. Glad that you have liked it. This summer, I and three riders from ADV community will be riding along Mediterranean and Aegean, then to Cappadocia region through Taurus Mountains. That's gonna be a wonderful rally with plenty sunshine to snowy mountains. Why not join us? We all will be happy.
As for campingspots; Turks are hospitable people. There are ample sites you can use as campspots, even villages or petrol stations.
If you have a GPS and plan to ride w/o us, I can send you campspot points as POI.
They aren't pricey as it varies between approximately 3-10 Euros per night.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #86
DutchWee
Adventurer
 
DutchWee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
Thank you very much. Glad that you have liked it. This summer, I and three riders from ADV community will be riding along Mediterranean and Aegean, then to Cappadocia region through Taurus Mountains. That's gonna be a wonderful rally with plenty sunshine to snowy mountains. Why not join us? We all will be happy.
As for campingspots; Turks are hospitable people. There are ample sites you can use as campspots, even villages or petrol stations.
If you have a GPS and plan to ride w/o us, I can send you campspot points as POI.
They aren't pricey as it varies between approximately 3-10 Euros per night.
Thanks for the good advice Venturer.

Joining you guys fo a while sounds great, specially after probably having been on the road by my self for a bit by then.

As I mentioned before I’m planning my first big trip outside of Europe by motorcycle (I’ve been lucky enough to experience Turkish hospitality travelling otherwise ).
And I am still figuring stuff out. Like the best way to get to Turkey all the way from Holland.
Right now the ferry from Italy to Çesme seems like a good option. I think that would probably place me right in your path somewhere as well. Also I have Cappadocia as kind of my end goal.

If it’s okay I will send you a message or something when I know things a little bit more for certain.
DutchWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #87
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWee
Thanks for the good advice Venturer.

Joining you guys fo a while sounds great, specially after probably having been on the road by my self for a bit by then.

As I mentioned before I’m planning my first big trip outside of Europe by motorcycle (I’ve been lucky enough to experience Turkish hospitality travelling otherwise ).
And I am still figuring stuff out. Like the best way to get to Turkey all the way from Holland.
Right now the ferry from Italy to Çesme seems like a good option. I think that would probably place me right in your path somewhere as well. Also I have Cappadocia as kind of my end goal.

If it’s okay I will send you a message or something when I know things a little bit more for certain.
That ferry might cost you expensive, instead you might meet up other guys on the way to here. All you have to do is ride down to Croatia and meet others at the point. Of course, this is just an idea. I plan for the set out in early July as it is best time. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Ride safe and and happily.
the venturer
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #88
DutchWee
Adventurer
 
DutchWee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
That ferry might cost you expensive, instead you might meet up other guys on the way to here. All you have to do is ride down to Croatia and meet others at the point. Of course, this is just an idea. I plan for the set out in early July as it is best time. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Ride safe and and happily.
the venturer
Sounds like a good idea. Who are the other ADV inmates going on this trip? If you can let me know when in early July you are going I can check my schedule. I have a teaching job so I cant take off whenever I like I’m afraid.
DutchWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #89
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
the venturer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Thrace and Istanbul
Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWee
Sounds like a good idea. Who are the other ADV inmates going on this trip? If you can let me know when in early July you are going I can check my schedule. I have a teaching job so I cant take off whenever I like I’m afraid.
''Street Illegal'' and ''Shrek'' and his friend. ''Matapo'' too wants to join me. My holiday starts on 1st July and plan to set off on 3rd or 4th. Set out could be a bit more flexible.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #90
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
Thank you econan. It is WE who still have been damaging those frescoes, not only Muslims. One can easily see all ABC's in the world carved on them. And that's a shame for all mankind.
P.S. More uploads coming soon.
It was a long time ago, I know... but to follow up, those walls paint a fascinating picture of the tides of religious history. The defacing of the cross and the paintings where all the faces have been removed was probably the work of muslim occupation after the Byzantines. But some of those frescoes have only some faces obliterated, probably of de-canonized or "heretic" saints, and these probably result from intra-Christian feuds between the Byzantine and Roman churches.

In 500 years, maybe archaeologists will be looking at the modern graffiti (which we think is vandalism) and commenting "hey, this reflects the secular period of the early 21st century when the place was in disrepair and used as a tourist attraction..." and thinking it's historic and interesting!
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014