User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Garage Sale Racing----V2R

Well V2R is about two months away. Wish it was sooner but there's still a lot to do. I started this thread to document my journey from start to finish (hopefully)

The first thing I should do is get the bike a 950 super enduro setup right so that all my training rides will be on a bike that is setup to race. So.......

1. Put a blackdog skidplate on the thing because it's the strongest thing on the market, the last thing I want is a holed case 50 miles into the race.
2. It's a no brainer it's gotta have a scotts.
3. A set of CJ designs peg extenders for comfort and leverage
4. 1000 miles on that stiff ass suspension didn't sound fun so Superplush revalve is a must
5. Get the sidestand off the cases so a few hours in the garage and it's mounted on a nice new bracket.
6. more fuel range so weld a 2-1 and put 1.7 gal in place of the left side exhaust.

So that's it so far. The next thing to figure out is lighting. Hopefully I won't need it but you know if you plan on not needed it you for sure will.

So theres 2 months. Gotta get training to be able to handle the big pig and ride as much as possible.

frog screwed with this post 06-26-2009 at 07:13 PM
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,070
Your stage racing, you shouldn't need lights at all. If you are so slow as to need lights, you sure ain't going to need killer off road racing lights. Lights would be for emergency use only, whatever the bike came stock with would prolly be good enough to get you in.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not that slow that I was planning on needing lights but was planning for the worst. If I have a mechanical issue or something and end up late then I would want the ability the run at full speed to make some time and the stock se light sucks.IMHO.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Well V2R is about two months away. Wish it was sooner but there's still a lot to do. I started this thread to document my journey from start to finish (hopefully)

The first thing I should do is get the bike a 950 super enduro setup right so that all my training rides will be on a bike that is setup to race. So.......

1. Put a blackdog skidplate on the thing, the last thing I want is a holed case 50 miles into the race.
2. It's a no brainer it's gotta have a scotts.
3. A set of CJ designs peg extenders for comfort and leverage
4. 1000 miles on that stiff ass suspension didn't sound fun so Superplush revalve is a must
5. Get the sidestand off the cases so a few hours in the garage and it's mounted on a nice new bracket.
6. more fuel range so weld a 2-1 and put 1.7 gal in place of the left side exhaust.

So that's it so far. The next thing to figure out is lighting. Hopefully I won't need it but you know if you plan on not needed it you for sure will.

So theres 2 months. Gotta get training to be able to handle the big pig and ride as much as possible.

Hey Frog, looking forward to seeing your progress. I just ordered the BRP mount and my 2 into 1 is getting welded today
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
I'm not that slow that I was planning on needing lights but was planning for the worst. If I have a mechanical issue or something
You are totally right, plus a good HID during the day makes you more visible to others (chase vehicles) when in the dust. I think running an HID during the day has saved my ass more than once while racing.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
ACC
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm green with envy; I wish I could do the race this year. Looking forward to the posts on your progress.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Plow the road

Give 'em hell, Frog...
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talked with Kurt at Black dog today. Sounds like I may be going 2 trailtech hids, their little 2 inch ones mounted to the forks. I'll keep the stock light and just add two more. I think that will be the best compromise of just enough light but not more then needed for this race.

Now to figure out if I want my martini shaken or stirred when I get to the end of the day.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G.
Give 'em hell, Frog...
MAG how's the B1k prep going?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Prep is going fine, Frog, I should be ready by, oh, 2019 or so....
I'm putting on all the stuff ( forks, lights, etc ) here in the next few weeks, and then I'm going to try and break it. The bike has sat dorment for about 5 weeks now since my last race, and I'm about to go nuts.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Bike selection ?

Hey Cranckshaft,
Have you decided to race the 950????
brent tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent tex
Hey Cranckshaft,
Have you decided to race the 950????
I'm prepping it now
Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,152
Hey Frog,

Talk to KTMSER here on the board about how to brace up your skid plate. Miserygoat had some similar issues with his too.

Just thought I would give you a heads up.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Good for you!!!

Hey Frog...I was just in Beatty the other day meeting with one of the promoters on other business...the race actually starts on his private property this year. Sounds like a heck of a race. I doubt I'll be able to make it for the race start like I had hoped but best of luck during the race!!! I used to live in Beatty so holler if you need any info.

Rocky
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks I will. Things are looking good. I haven't had time to make up shirts for pit crew and others but I guess if thats the only thing I don't get done before the race I'll be in good shape.