User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
Nice RR so far!
I love reading about the TAT since I will be doing it in August.
Looking foward to the rest.
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDave
Good report. Tip: If you put a few vertical spaces (enter) between each picture they wont spread out horizontally on you. That way the thread will be eaier to read because your text will be screen width.
Thanks for the tip. I will try to do better on the next post coming up later.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

I was getting hungry so I rolled into the Sonic in West Helena Arkansas. It was 2pm and the place was packed. All the drive up slots were full so I pulled into the Sherwin Williams parking lot right beside it. A guy comes running out and says “you’re an adventure rider you can park right in front”.
It turns out to be John who runs the Sonic there. He is RahRah on Adv Rider. John has some dirt bikes and a 640 Adventure. He is planning a Continental Divide ride. He fixed me up with a great cheese burger and chocolate shake. I recommend this stop to others passing through. Thanks John.

The first part of Arkansas is flat and uneventful.

I ended the day early at Beebe Arkansas with a great price on a decent room at the Economy Inn. I did laundry and shaved for the first time of the trip. It was a good day and I am still a day ahead of schedule. I thought about mounting up the new tire but the old Kenda is still hanging in there.

Up early for a predawn breakfast at Waffle House and on the trail again.

I guess if you don’t like the concrete crossing you can go over the road with the tubes under it. I tried them both and they both function perfectly. So if you have been following along- They repair bridges in Illinois, close them in Mississippi and double them in Arkansas.

Then there were other places where no crossing was developed you just crossed.

This place was pretty cool. I guess it is a backwoods bar or something. Two trailer homes set side by side (notice the trailer tongues sticking out) with some space between them. Then they just built a roof over the whole thing and have an open air stage and deck in the middle.

I started getting into the Ozark National Forest. Really good riding and views.

Gotta go I'll be back to do more after bit.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Nice report. Feel free to take some of that kudzu back to Iowa, we have plenty.
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 327
Excellent! If you run into Brian again, tell him seacoast NH is cheering him on!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

I caught up to three more Trans American Trail riders. Deano Reano, Frisco and Jim. They are riding the whole thing . Now I am jealous of them also. I snapped a picture of them and took off. They are real time documenting their trip at http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22945 .

Here is a picture they took of me at our roadside meeting.

Arkansas is beautiful.

Oark is a mandatory stop. The meal was much more than I could eat. Note the tire.

They had a hummingbird feeder with swarms of birds.

I have ridden a dirt bike in the White Rock mountain area before. Great fun.

Warloop Road is know for being the most technical section in Arkansas. It was. There was recently some trees blocking the trail but a local ADV rider went out and cleared it. Thank you very much.

I hit the Oklahoma line and took a picture before I turned towards home. I have been here before and rode some of the Oklahoma section a couple years prior.

That tire is finally getting gone. Arkansas was hard on it. I wonder if it will make it home.

I rode to Noel Missouri where I found beautiful out cropping of rocks along a nice river with lots of camping areas. I choose one of them and got all set up. There are several businesses taking advantage of the river offering canoe rental, swimming and camping. Beautiful part of the country and seems to be a lot of people use it. I then discovered the drawback. Just across the river is railroad tracks. All night long trains are going through constantly blowing the 6000000- decibel whistle at who knows what.
Other than less than restful sleep it was another big day that went well.

Got up early again, packed up and rolled into Joplin. I had the Burger King all to myself.

As I head home I stay off the more conventional routes. I seem to always find good remote riding whenever I set out with just a general direction and no planned route.

Truman Reservoir

Here I am back home in Iowa still carrying that new tire. It made it inconvenient for me to get in the trunk but otherwise wasn’t such a big burden. I never dreamed the old one would make the trip. I think I will push it a little further.

That's all folks. I will add to the report when I get to ride the next section. I have not scheduled it yet.

I hope those of you researching to ride the TAT got some good out of this and I would be glad to answer any questions. I learned a lot from others reports and that is one of the reasons I posted this one. Thanks to those of you who took the time to do them.

Ride safe, have fun.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #22
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,573
Great job on the RR. I really enjoyed it. I rode the TAT from Okla to the coast last fall. It was a blast. I live real close to where you ended your ride and I assume where you will pick it up again. If you need a place to stay or help with anything, I would be glad to help you out. There is several Adv riders in this area that have helped others riding the TAT.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo
Great job on the RR. I really enjoyed it. I rode the TAT from Okla to the coast last fall. It was a blast. I live real close to where you ended your ride and I assume where you will pick it up again. If you need a place to stay or help with anything, I would be glad to help you out. There is several Adv riders in this area that have helped others riding the TAT.
I was in Coweta a couple years ago. I brought my conversion van and my DR650. I camped in my van at the Walmart and had the bike tied to it. I was rousted up a little by the cops. No big deal they just thought it was suspicious and didn't like that I had a can of beer in the cup holder.

I rode around the area a couple of days and plan to do it again. I love Oklahoma and even lived in Chickasha a couple of years during the oil boom.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
I was in Coweta a couple years ago. I brought my conversion van and my DR650. I camped in my van at the Walmart and had the bike tied to it. I was rousted up a little by the cops. No big deal they just thought it was suspicious and didn't like that I had a can of beer in the cup holder.

I rode around the area a couple of days and plan to do it again. I love Oklahoma and even lived in Chickasha a couple of years during the oil boom.
You could have camped at my place. I have an acreage out in the country with great places to camp. If you get back this way again, let me know, I will show you around on my KLR.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,641
Excellent report! Good job!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
locopostie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Good RR. DRs rock

2009 DR650
locopostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #27
vmabuck
Clutch Killah

Oddometer: 441
One day I will do this on my DR.

By the way, which Wolfman tank bag were you using. I think that is the perfect size...

azbuck

Together We Served
vmabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 AM   #28
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmabuck
One day I will do this on my DR.

By the way, which Wolfman tank bag were you using. I think that is the perfect size...
It's the Wolfman Enduro. It is good quality and I like it. I use it on my DR and also my dirt bikes when I go somewhere with friends and need a place for the camera.

On the DR I wouldn't mind having a slightly larger one.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #29
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxrider
Nice report. Feel free to take some of that kudzu back to Iowa, we have plenty.

I can't believe my ears!

Hey -- if you don't have kudzu where you live, do yourself and your neighbors for the surrounding 1,000 miles a favor and do not introduce it into the area.

Where I live in the deep south it is taking over formerly beautiful woodland and destroying property values.

Great ride report! I'll look forward to more.
basketcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #30
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Kudzu Blossom Jelly

Spoon over cream cheese, or melt and serve over waffles and ice cream. The blossom liquid is gray until lemon juice is added.

4 cups Kudzu blossoms
4 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 (1 3/4-ounce) package powered pectin
5 cups sugar

Wash Kudzu blossoms with cold water, and place them in a large bowl. Pour 4 cups boiling water over blossoms, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Pour blossoms and liquid through a colander into a Dutch oven, discarding blossoms. Add lemon juice and pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil, and boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; skim off foam with a spoon. Quickly pour jelly into hot, sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.

Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes. Cool on wire racks. YIELD: 6 half pints.
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote