Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #61
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GauloisUSA
I also enjoyed your trip very much. Thank you.

If you had to do it again Ed, what bike, tires or accessories would you have brought/done differently?
Thanks for dredging up my old ride report and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Although there are many different bikes and gear that I am sure would have been more comfortable I can't say anything bad about what I have. I operate on a very limited budget so what I buy must be of good value and durability. The DR650 is a great bike for this type of ride and the accessories are just what I have accumulated cheaply.

The Kenda 270's work very well and I will continue to use them unless I spring for some Mefos.

I sure wouldn't have hauled that new tire around on the first leg of the trip if i knew I wouldn't need it. It was in the way and a pain in the back.

I am looking forward to completing the western section of the TAT this summer. I think I am going to ride it backwards (Oregon to Moab).

I hope to see more riders this way as they are riding it the conventional direction.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #62
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
My trail partner Noel had the Giant Loop bag. I was very impressed with it. They have a new bag out now that is an improvement on the original. I think I would spring for one of those instead of the conventional saddlebags like I had.

The Giant Loops side to side width profile is less than my saddlebags. The trail is quite narrow in places, especially in Nevada with all the Black Sage that line the trail. I ended up ripping open one of my saddlebags because of that. And anything with unprotected zippers will fail because of all the dust and dirt. Ended up having to keep one of my bags main compartment closed with safety wire.

Other than that everything worked well. Noel and I both were running Ride-On tube sealant in out tires. We had not one flat in 4ooo miles. We both ran Dunlop 606's and I was quite pleased with them. I think I could have ridden all the way back to Texas on them before wearing them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauloisUSA
Same question for Trailryder42.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #63
GauloisUSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
So the only issued you had were
1. Don't carry a spare tire with you (unless you are crossing the Sahara)
and
2. Choose your pannier wisely.

Thanks for the input guys.

GauloisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #64
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,421
Wow! What a spectacular ride Ed! I hope to make it farther west on my next TAT trip! Good for you on making that hike too! Thanks for the great report!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #65
dirty ol man
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 145
Tat

great report! have a great ride on the last leg.

and hopefully santa brought you a nice pair of riding boots...

ride on
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #66
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Just finished my final leg of the Trans American Trail. I did the western section backwards going from Port Orford to Moab . I had a few friends along this time. Trip report will be coming right here on this thread.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #67
KevinMcCall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
Just finished my final leg of the Trans American Trail. I did the western section backwards going from Port Orford to Moab . I had a few friends along this time. Trip report will be coming right here on this thread.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #68
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Im really enjoying your RR!!
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #69
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

I left off riding the Trans American Trail at Moab Utah about the 1st of September 2009. I rode home to Iowa and now fast forward about a year to the end of July 2010.

I had purchased an old Dodge church van to haul bikes to The Oregon coast. I figured on recruiting a few others to go along and help pay for the gas. I bought the van cheap enough that I could sell it out there and just ride the bike home. I thought that maybe posting that plan on this website I could get the conventional direction folks to buy it from me to haul their bikes home from the west end but nobody took me up on it.

A local guy I ride dirt bikes with was wanting to throw in and go. A lifelong friend of mine decided after seeing my ride report for the first couple of sections that he wanted to go. Longcliff from here on ADV Rider said he was interested so I told all other inquiries we were full. I measured it out and it appeared I could get all four bikes in the van but it was going to be tight. I also assumed there would be some attrition but all four of us stayed in.

I had an old three rail trailer so I grafted a hitch on the van and that provided plenty of room. I even went to Goodwill and picked up a couple of old dirty recliner chairs because I had already thrown away the van seats.

I listed the van and trailer on Craigslist in Medford Oregon. I got a few inquiries on the van and a ton of them on the trailer. I made a deal with a guy on the trailer to meet me at the scrap yard where I could sell the van and that took care of the vehicle disposal on that end.

On Friday July 30 Greg (Longcliff) is to leave work in Harrisburg PA and ride to my place in Iowa where we will start the trip in the van. He sends me a picture of himself and his bike. I am very skeptical. I don’t know this guy from Adam but he is riding a Yamaha XT225 and the picture shows almost nothing strapped to his bike.

I figure if he gets started today and it is over 1000 miles he should make it here Sunday to switch out the tires he had mailed to my place on. We can all get together at my house Monday morning and head for Oregon.

I check his spot tracker before I go to bed and see he has already made it to Columbus Ohio. I think to myself wow this guy is doing good on that little bike.

I get up early the next morning and check his spot again. Holy crap he is in Illinois. I call the other two guys and let them know Greg’s progress. They were flexible enough to go ahead and leave on Sunday so everything got moved up a day.

Sure enough Greg arrived by 3 pm. That is over 1000 miles in less than 24 hours on an XT 225 after working all day! Huge respect.

And considering the trip he has set out on he is carrying nothing. He makes us look real bad. Huge respect again.

Greg gets busy changing out his tire.

Then I take him to Walmart for a couple of items. One of which is shoes to wear when not riding.

It was fun following him around Walmart wearing his shorts and riding boots. It made a lot of people stare and do a double take.

We went out for supper that night and decided to get up early Sunday to begin the adventure.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #70
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Sunday morning I call Chuck and let him know we are enroute. He had brought his DRZ400 over a few days earlier and it was loaded in the van. It was just a matter of getting him woke up and torn away from his wife so we could get going. Kim graciously made me some great monster cookies for getting Chuck out of there but when I went to share them he claimed them for himself. I got to eat a few of them though.

We traveled on to Greenfield and met Mike with his KLR. Here I want to talk a little about Mike. He is a life long friend of mine and I don’t remember him ever riding a motorcycle. He read the earlier part of this ride report showing me in remote areas on my bike and he wanted in. I figured it would pass but he was persistent. He kept asking what kind of bike, what kind of gear and ect. I gave him a few ideas and he did a bunch of research ending with a nicely kitted KLR and new riding gear.

I was worried about his riding skill until I had a short ride with him about a month before we left on this trip. He did well on that ride and it turns out he can handle that KLR very good for somebody with little experience. Huge respect to Mike taking on this caliber of trip all things considered. We are not young guys after all.

Here we are all loaded up in Greenfield and beginning the journey

Now a pic of the characters.

You have already met Greg

I have told you a little about Mike

Speaking of Characters here’s Chuck

And yours truly

Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #71
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

It was quite a trip out to Oregon. Mike and Chuck hit it off real well being old farmers. Greg told strange stories about hook worms. Chuck wouldn’t share my cookies. As we would trade positions the new driver would always complain about the play in the steering wheel.

We were stopped for some road construction. The flagman was very tall and good natured but not quit as tall as Chuck.

We got the flagman to put down his stop sign long enough to take our picture.

After $469 in gas and 30 hours of travel and lie telling we are 1806 miles down the road in Medford Oregon. The guy met us at Whips Crushing to relieve me of the trailer. I drove the van to the dump to pay $16.50 to throw away my $5 chairs and back to Whips to sell the van. I drove it up on the scale and they paid me $ 115 a ton for it. What a shame. The van served us very well and was ready to take the next bunch of guys home but it went to the shredder instead.

I miss the van.

By 3 P.M. Monday local time we are wheels up headed for the coast.

We stopped at the back entrance to a rest area to get a map. This local gentleman came out to greet us.

He put his fist over his heart and said “ you guys got my heart” When I asked his name he said it was George Jones. I ask for an autograph and he then said his name was Colby. He wanted to show us how he could make our bikes “roost” but we declined and rode on.

We got off on some gravel and then hooked up with the TAT headed for Port Orford. We got to town, ate and setup our tents at the local RV park. In bed by 10. Medford to Port Orford 155 miles.

I need to get some sleep. I'll start on the trail tomorrow. The beach shots are pretty cool.

edstoll screwed with this post 08-27-2010 at 08:45 AM
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #72
jthomas82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Laugh Great Start!

Can't wait for the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would have said.
jthomas82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #73
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518

I had forgotten that you got a picture of "George Jones"! I bet he could have shown us how to ride those bikes the right way. You should have let him throw a rooster tail on that DR650. Chuck would have chased him down for you if he tried to steal it.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #74
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Got up the next morning and headed for breakfast.

These two guys took an interest in us. We talked awhile before heading out.
Bob Bailey and Burt Ainsworth

Then it was off to find the ocean. There it is.

At breakfast we learned that Cape Blanco just a couple miles north and west is the most westerly point on the coast. We rode out to see it and the lighthouse. There was a fog that rolled in and it was pretty chilly but well worth the little extra drive. All you TAT riders should take it in. http://www.portorfordoregon.com/blanco.html
See the lighthouse

Greg seemed happy to be here.

We then officially started our ride on the TAT eastbound.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #75
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Talking Doin the TAT Eastbound

Wooop Wooop go guy's.............Me and (Parepin) will be doin the TAT from where your at in a couple weeks too!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote