Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #106
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
Just before getting on the Paiute trail I finally met some other TAT riders. I was looking forward to seeing several as I rode it the unconventional direction but we pretty much met nobody. When I met this one I turned around and they stopped. I immediately recognized them as Big Wan and Little Wan from here on Adventure rider. We did the quick picture exchange and took off. It was fun meeting them. Their ride report is here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612129

The Paiute atv trails are fun to ride.

We finally made it to Richfield about 2 for lunch. Stopped at a downtown restaurant that was horribly understaffed. Took for ever to eat and things continued to be a challenge the rest of the day.

As you can tell it had been raining in the area. This water crossing had very muddy approaches and the water was moving very fast.

We waited awhile for it to recede but it didn't seem to want to go down. Chuck finally got impatient and said "get your cameras ready".

Then we all followed him through.

There was enough mud on each side of the crossing to make us second guess crossing them. One of the crossing I don’t have pictures of we walked the bikes across with a guy on each side. It was waist deep and we didn’t want to take the chance of drowning a bike this far from civilization. The sand washes were pretty wet also.

edstoll screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 07:12 AM
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #107
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
Ed, I made sure to get a picture here too. That little dirt road going on forever toward the mountain is neat!
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #108
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
things continued to be a challenge the rest of the day.
Something tells me it's going to get even worse after dark.......

Really enjoying your pictures and report, Ed.

p.s. I can still remember you saying "guys, I can't touch the bottom" as Mike and I held your saddle bags and walked your bike through the really nasty crossing (the one without pictures). I was stoked when we all managed to get through that one!

Also, remember Mike gunning the KLR out of that same crossing and covering Chuck from head to foot with mud?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #109
bassguitar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Great RR ED - thanks for posting it.

I love the idea of the one-way-trip van!
bassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #110
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,102
Enjoyed your RR. I just was in Ouray august and we did Engineer pass, and CorkScrew. Lots of sliding and tight switchbacks for sure, all down hill gravel with pretty good drop offs.

Next day we did "Black Bear Pass" and "Imogene Pass" from Telluride back. Imogene was our favorite, lots of different stuff, technical, tight turns, steep steps, and dropoff ledges.

Pic is view of Telluride from top of Black Bear Pass.

llamapacker screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 12:29 PM
llamapacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #111
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
Something tells me it's going to get even worse after dark.......
that's next

Also, remember Mike gunning the KLR out of that same crossing and covering Chuck from head to foot with mud?
Yea I forgot about that. Makes me smile to remember.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #112
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Chuck was running a ways ahead of us. He stopped near the Copper Globe Mine and setup his tent so that is where we were all going to stop. It was still a few miles from I70 and we didn’t know what to expect for terrain before getting there. By the time we got setup it was dark. Although the day started out easy it had been some really tough going to this point.

I finally got a shot of Gregs $250 pajamas.

We ate some food we were carrying and went to sleep. It was beautiful out there and the stars were amazing.

I woke up on queue about 2:30 am to pee. I could see lightning back where we had come from. I went back to sleep hoping it wouldn’t get to us by daylight. About a half hour later Chuck is waking me up. He says “there is a hell of a storm coming we gotta get out of here”. We tear down camp in the dark. Chuck located Greg in his hammock about a half mile away and got him packing up.

I went to start my bike and the headlight was out. It is dark at 3 am and this is going to be tough. Chuck goes first and I stick to his flank. I am able to kind of see what I am hitting and the other two are following behind to help back light me. I know it is hard to see because it is dark and I don’t have a headlight but something still seems wrong. Then I realize I am not wearing my glasses. In my haste to tear down camp I never put them on. I have an old spare set packed so I just motor on knowing I can dig them out later. We ride out through the sand washes and emerge near I70. We roll into a view area to await daylight. These clowns I am with take over all the facilities. These pictures are about 4 AM and it is raining.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #113
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

I unrolled my tent and found my bent up glasses. It rained a little and daylight came. We had perfect riding conditions.

Black Dragon Canyon was one of my goals for this trip.

We were beat. Greg decided to stop at Green River and get a room. Chuck, Mike and I rolled on to Moab. We got a campsite and called it a day. I forgot to reset the mileage before we started out at 3 am.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #114
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

This completes the Trans American Trail for me. The next day Mike, Chuck and I took in the scenic beauty of White Rim Trail. We were still worn out from the previous day and the trail was rougher than I remembered. I am not going to do many pictures of the White Rim Trail because I can't do it justice here.

I would give you more but this is a TAT report. I have at this point done the entire Trans American Trail and I am homesick.
I split off from the other two and headed for home via secondary Highways and made a 3 day trip of it.
Total of 1806 miles in the van and 3216 miles on the bike.
Mike went on to Salida and then home.
Chuck went as far as Cass Arkansas before meandering home.
Gregs spot showed him getting into Oklahoma before buzzing it back to Harrisburg.
I hope you enjoyed my report and if you are thinking about doing the TAT stop thinking and just go.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #115
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,648
Hi Ed!
I hope I didn't offend you back there (post #98) when I called you a "lucky bastard." I meant, WOW - you sure are a fortunate fellow.

Quote:
I immediately recognized them as Big Wan and Little Wan. It was fun meeting them.
We really enjoyed meeting you, too. Wish we could have had a chance to talk more and hang out...but understand that you guys were really hungry that morning!
I just wish you could have found that good luck safety cone I left at Swasey Cabin. It would have made me happy if it had gone to someone as nice as you...

Quote:

Oh, man. that brings back bad memories - that's the spot where we got stuck last year... You guys did a great job getting through!

CONGRATULATIONS! you did the whole TAT, and part of it backwards - That must feel pretty darn great.

kelly
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #116
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
WoooHooo
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #117
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
This completes the Trans American Trail for me.
I hope you enjoyed my report and if you are thinking about doing the TAT stop thinking and just go.
Awesome job Ed!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #118
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
...The Sheriff and I yucked it up a while, talked shop and had a good time...
The LEOs in Eureka are pretty good guys. On our TAT ride in Sept 2009 I inadvertently ended up as a support truck (A/k/a "The Big White Tent") driver with my broken KTM in the back. The other guys were scheduled to meet me in Eureka but the rain in the desert slowed them way down so they didn't make for a day. Being too cheap to rent a room I decided to just sleep in the truck in front of the gas station. Before it got dark I flagged down a LEO and asked if it was ok (what can I say, I'm old, jail mattresses are really thin, and I'm from the east).
His response: "Well its OK with me but if you're still parked here in a week I'm gonna take that bike home and keep it."

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #119
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Hi Ed!
I hope I didn't offend you back there (post #98) when I called you a "lucky bastard." I meant, WOW - you sure are a fortunate fellow.

We really enjoyed meeting you, too. Wish we could have had a chance to talk more and hang out...but understand that you guys were really hungry that morning!
I just wish you could have found that good luck safety cone I left at Swasey Cabin. It would have made me happy if it had gone to someone as nice as you...

Oh, man. that brings back bad memories - that's the spot where we got stuck last year... You guys did a great job getting through!

CONGRATULATIONS! you did the whole TAT, and part of it backwards - That must feel pretty darn great.

kelly
Absolutely no offense taken Kelly. I was indeed a "lucky bastard".

I truely was excited to see you two. I was wanting to see and visit with all the TAT riders I could and was disappointed I didn't run across more. It was especially good to see you two because I recognized you from your trip report.

That is a pretty cool idea leaving good luck charms. We sure could have used it the rest of that day and night.

Thank you for doing all the trip reports. I enjoy them and I hope others enjoy mine.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #120
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,698
Great job,

Leaving today for the TAT

It's been weird reading 3 different RR and having them all either intersect with each other or 2 of them being the same ride posted from different perspectives. Very cool, enjoyed the RR.

Ride on!