ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #871
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
So no matter which version I buy I still need to get the CityMaps too for street nav? Is that loaded on a microSD or on a DVD?
Yes, and yes I think it runs $79 at REI on micro SD, but you can get it on DVD as well. Once again "I have heard" it is best to get it on DVD because then you can load it onto your own SD card, and still have a back up. The Micro SD card has to be stuck in the device itself.. but again.. I havent really confirmed that. OBTW there is like a million view thread on the Montana over in the Laying Down Tracks forum.. too much information for my feeble brain, but a good place to try and learn some stuff.

mrt10x screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 08:49 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #872
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
I really like that Garmin Montana GPS. Was it the 600, 650 or 650T? And whats the difference? Which mount you using on your BMW? Gotta get me one!
Mark,
I have the 650 which has the camera. There is tons of info on the Montana thread but I can likely answer most of your questions rather than have you read 7000 posts. The easy answer is that there is pros and cons to each version depending on your anticipated usage.

I didn't want the topo version (650t) as the 100k topo is virtually useless to me so it was easier to get the 650 and add in the maps I wanted.

To run basic navigation or plot to address/POI, etc you need CityNav NorthAmerica. This can be downloaded from Garmin, purchased on DVD or an SD card. My recommendation is to buy the DVD an install on your computer. This way you can play around with maps/routes on your pc without tethering your gps to the computer. I got a free download to my unit so I have to have it plugged into my pc to create routes.

I also have an SD card of 24k topo for the NorthEast that I keep in there so I always have topo data and "published" trails available for off-bike hiking, etc.

The mount is the "Rugged Mount" and it wires to the battery or fuzeblock and locks that bad-boy into place on the bike. There is a torx-style locknut that keeps is 'somewhat secure' for gas stops and such. A RAM mount ball plate screws directly to the mount.

I also have the auto mount so I can use it in the car. The auto mount has an internal speaker for voice prompts.

This post is too long... let me know if I can answer anything directly.

Patch screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 06:03 PM
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #873
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
So no matter which version I buy I still need to get the CityMaps too for street nav? Is that loaded on a microSD or on a DVD?
This is trickier to answer... OSM (open source maps) are compatible and there are a lot available to download for free. I personally haven't had a lot of luck working with them but haven't been too diligent in figuring it out as I already have CNNA (City Nav North America) that works. Lots of folks on the Montana Thread use them acceptably.

Note - not all OSM are mac versions... a lot are windows only. I couldn't find a New England that had CT on it for mac.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #874
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,277
Back on topic. Try again soon? New burger bar in Wallingford, Knuckleheads. It does get crowded though. This might require some planning.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #875
Hobbomock
Freewheelin'

Oddometer: 691
what day do you have in mind?

think we can out-number the pirates?

godot wants to know if it's canine friendly...

Hobbomock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #876
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,143
I'd lean towards someplace that has a good amount if seating, like Rookies ( Chicago Sams) in Cromwell. The beer is nice at Elis, but very crowded.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #877
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 601
Ive got a place I love to frequent in Southington, not sure if y'all are willing to travel this far.

Jerzie Joe's on Newell St.

the best wings, awesome burgers

Little skimpy on the beer selection but I have a mug that gets me 1.50 budlite drafts

ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #878
Hobbomock
Freewheelin'

Submitted for consideration:

Sam the Clam's in Milldale

Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #879
Oilhed
MarkF

Southington is good but not a fan of Sam's. Sliders or Blackstone are good spots. Lots of tables. Any day is good. Just keep an eye on the weather and call it a couple days before.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #880
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbomock View Post

I like their food but do not agree with their owners political, personal, "feelings".

Some who are from the area may know why. I do not tolerate any form of discrimination under any circumstance.

Sliders wings are skimpy and overpriced, their drinks are as well. Ive heard good things about Blackstone. I'd be willing to check it out
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #881
Hobbomock
Freewheelin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
I like their food but do not agree with their owners political, personal, "feelings".

didnt know
now i do, thanks
F 'em

if i'm free, i'll go anywhere

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #882
Hobbomock
Freewheelin'

re: jerzie joes

Guinness on wednesday for $3.50

can we go on wednesday?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #883
Oilhed
MarkF

Quote:
re: jerzie joes

Guinness on wednesday for $3.50

can we go on wednesday?
Yes. Where is it?

new bike - BMW R1150GS
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #884
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Thursday is any import draft for 3.50

The ribeye is slammin

EDIT: Let's shoot for next thursday? I will pull out the DR-Z for that, it's only a quick ride across town
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #885
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 746
Quote:

IMHO that place has gone down hill, a bit over priced and the last two times, the service was really bad.

Guinness on Wednesday's, See you there if the weather is clear.

1249 Wine Bar in Waterbury has fresh ground sirloin and filet burgers. The Cajun is rippin.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote