ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #1546
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze View Post
..ahem..

I hear tell some folks had started enjoying the fact that the game had fallen to page 5 and were planning a really nice trip up to fetch it. It was NOT going to sit up there through the long dark.

Good grab. Where to next?
.. lol .. aha .. a ring leader comes forth ..

.. and yeah .. where to next?? .. I gotta couple of days off starting tomorrow and no obligations to get in the way ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #1547
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Wonder how far south it will come???
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #1548
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 367
New Tag-

The hero of Matewan was murdered by Baldwin-Felts detectives on August 1, 1921 on the steps of the McDowel County courthouse in Welch, WV. The tag is his gravesite.

The marker is located at the top of the hill.

The Matewan massacre, and events leading up to it, are the subject of the 1987 film "Matewan" by John Sayles. Much of the film was shot at Thurmond, WV. Also google "Battle of Blair Mountain" if you're interested in reading more about the West Virginia coal wars.

nealcassady screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 07:06 AM
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #1549
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,891
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcassady View Post
New Tag-

The hero of Matewan was murdered by Baldwin-Felts detectives on August 1, 1921 on the steps of the McDowel County courthouse in Welch, WV. The tag is his gravesite.

The marker is located at the top of the hill.

The Matewan massacre, and events leading up to it, are the subject of the 1987 film "Matewan" by John Sayles. Also google "Battle of Blair Mountain" if you're interested in reading more about the West Virginia coal wars.
That is such a cool tag! I love history in the tags when we can get it. Anything that really makes a spot noteworthy. Great work!

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #1550
DEPARKER1817
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Great Tag
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #1551
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. an awesome drop brother .. very kewl ..

(I hear the Mighty Duc warming up already) ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #1552
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
really cool tag! I did a little reading.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #1553
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
really cool tag! I did a little reading.
Yes, Vey cool history lesson. Lots of coal mining in this area too...If I ever get my hands on this tag I have some good ideas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lattimer_massacre

I promise I won't bring it up here for the cold weather
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1554
nealcassady
Novice

Glad y'all are enjoying the new tag– it is some interesting history. The film is definitely worth seeing. Tagging is a good thing for those with OCD tendencies

I had a nice ride going for the Appalachian Gap tag. I rode up to visit in NY and did a 750 mile two-up ride through the Catskills and Adirondacks to get it. Around 1800 for the weekend. Managed to stay dry until last night, then had to ride through a few frog choker t-storms to get home. Tried to wait them out and by that time it was late and dark too. The trucks were slowed down to 40mph on the slab with flashers on. Now I know which pieces of gear are waterproof and which aren't.

I happen to have another live tag at the site of the shooting in my local club game. The straight line distance between the two is about half the actual riding distance––on the main US highway in the area. No straight roads to be found around there. This Appalachian game has huge potential. Hope we can keep it active and keep finding great places to ride.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #1555
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
This Appalachian game has huge potential. Hope we can keep it active and keep finding great places to ride.
Yeah I liked the idea. I'm not averse to expanding the "region" a little to incorporate great riding and tagging sites. Just as I've already let the 24 hour rule be more of a guidline than a rule. It'd be fun to get this tag to travel to the extremes of its boundaries one year.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #1556
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Nice drop nealcassady! I was through Welch a little over a month ago headed for Huntington WVa. Neat area and fun roads! They do a nice job of painting their water reservoirs I noticed. I think we followed mostly 16 and 10 going up and dodging coal trucks over the yellow

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #1557
nealcassady
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze View Post
Yeah I liked the idea. I'm not averse to expanding the "region" a little to incorporate great riding and tagging sites. Just as I've already let the 24 hour rule be more of a guidline than a rule. It'd be fun to get this tag to travel to the extremes of its boundaries one year.
I don't think it's necessary to expand the region––a big attraction is that it's always in the mountains. What makes a tag game great is the mentality and dedication of the players, and I doubt that part can be defined. Not sure if this is the place, but... fanatics who won't hesitate to do a big ride, who can't stand to see a tag languish, who take as much pride in placing as in making a grab, camaraderie among the players and in the thread... I could go on. In some games the opposite of these are the reality and the level of play diminishes to the point of why bother. There needs to be a format where the game is played with substantial enthusiasm, and what better playing field than the Appalachian Mountains? A thousand years from now sociologists will not be kind to societies that grab and dump. I think about these things too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
Nice drop nealcassady! I was through Welch a little over a month ago headed for Huntington WVa. Neat area and fun roads! They do a nice job of painting their water reservoirs I noticed. I think we followed mostly 16 and 10 going up and dodging coal trucks over the yellow
Yea man, great riding through there. I read your thread. No coal trucks on Sundays. Still have to watch the coal dust on the roads though. That stuff can be as slick as %$#@, especially when it's damp. Always going to be drivers cutting across the center lines. Forty thousand dollar pickups in front of rusting double wides, satellite dishes, washing machines on front porches and the purdiest water towers in the country! Gotta love it. I just hope they stay focused on decorating those water towers rather than improving roads. Hope you rode 10 north of Matoaka!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #1558
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,803
Ah shitt.... I'm to friggen busy to grab it

My back yard !!!!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #1559
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
I don't think it's necessary to expand the region––a big attraction is that it's always in the mountains. What makes a tag game great is the mentality and dedication of the players, and I doubt that part can be defined. Not sure if this is the place, but... fanatics who won't hesitate to do a big ride, who can't stand to see a tag languish, who take as much pride in placing as in making a grab, camaraderie among the players and in the thread... I could go on. In some games the opposite of these are the reality and the level of play diminishes to the point of why bother. There needs to be a format where the game is played with substantial enthusiasm, and what better playing field than the Appalachian Mountains? A thousand years from now sociologists will not be kind to societies that grab and dump. I think about these things too much.

Yea man, great riding through there. I read your thread. No coal trucks on Sundays. Still have to watch the coal dust on the roads though. That stuff can be as slick as %$#@, especially when it's damp. Always going to be drivers cutting across the center lines. Forty thousand dollar pickups in front of rusting double wides, satellite dishes, washing machines on front porches and the purdiest water towers in the country! Gotta love it. I just hope they stay focused on decorating those water towers rather than improving roads. Hope you rode 10 north of Matoaka!
Yup! We were on 10 thru Gilbert, Man, Logan all the way to I-64 at Huntington..good stuff!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #1560
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Hatfield Grave Grabbed

Hatfield Grave Grabbed

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote