ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #61
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle
are ya'll clueless????

bump to the top
I'm just biding my time for a bit. My map doesn't quite show all the features you mention but I know I can go out there and ride those clues. I'm waiting for just a little bit better weather and then of course the hordes will be loosed from work.

I've found that road you mentioned with the evergreen scrub and can chase that out some. Google Earth may well become my friend.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #62
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
I'm just biding my time for a bit. My map doesn't quite show all the features you mention but I know I can go out there and ride those clues. I'm waiting for just a little bit better weather and then of course the hordes will be loosed from work.

I've found that road you mentioned with the evergreen scrub and can chase that out some. Google Earth may well become my friend.
google map does the trick just fine
Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #63
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
google map does the trick just fine
Oh sure, make it easy for all those other folks.

Since I started this one and have had a play or two with the tag I thought I'd make sure some other folks get to play with it. Wouldn't break my heart to see it head North or South. However I'm also considering combining a chase of this one with the Virginia tag. Pick one up, drop one, keep moving...

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #64
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Oh sure, make it easy for all those other folks.

Since I started this one and have had a play or two with the tag I thought I'd make sure some other folks get to play with it. Wouldn't break my heart to see it head North or South. However I'm also considering combining a chase of this one with the Virginia tag. Pick one up, drop one, keep moving...

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #65
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Yeah somebody needs to take this thing and throw it to Georgia or Virginia. A good regional tag needs to jump states a good bit to keep everybody interested.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #66
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf
Yeah somebody needs to take this thing and throw it to Georgia or Virginia. A good regional tag needs to jump states a good bit to keep everybody interested.
I agree. It seems to have a tendency to end up in NC.

If I get it I'm either going for a long ride where I don't have any file tags or I'm gonna use a file tag the opposite direction. It would be fun to get it up into the NorthEast and have to poke those folks.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #67
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 578
Wink

Quote:
I agree. It seems to have a tendency to end up in NC.

If I get it I'm either going for a long ride where I don't have any file tags or I'm gonna use a file tag the opposite direction. It would be fun to get it up into the NorthEast and have to poke those folks.
Adding the file tags could make this very interesting very quick!!!

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #68
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Well carp. I was gonna snag this one on my way back from grabbing E TN's tag but my Zumo 550 is now posessed by the magic fingers of doom. If I can't use my GPS I'm hopeless with maps. I'll have to wait until I get it fixed.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #69
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
sorry guys (I tried to do a blond driving clue )

It's actually not to hard if you look at a map and follow my steps

1st: find my location
2nd: take the road named after an evergreen scrub
3rd: the song will "confirm" that you got the right road
4th: keep riding east
5th: turn left and you'll find the tag (it's all there)
I'm about googled out on this.

When you say "find my location" I'm guessing you don't mean that you started at Mt. Mitchell but at your home. Mars, NC? I don't find that so I guess next that it's Mars Hill, NC. Somewhat West of there I see a Grapevine Rd that intersects Big Laurel Rd. I can't really work out from there what you did.

The random building you didn't use that says Cody's Store and Laurel Creek Nursery doesn't seem to gibe with the things I can find on the internet with those names.

Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch but don't really see a German looking name on the map either.

Unless someone else is having a better time with this I think we're gonna need something more to go on.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #70
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
are ya'll clueless????
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #71
Cuttle
me? what?

Quote:
... on top of a Hill across a Chapel:

the next tag:

Good Luck!
the house is across a Chapel on a Hill next to the Road
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #72
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Tag in the rain...

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #73
Cuttle
me? what?

Finally!

As I said: CHAPEL on a HILL (Madison County)
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #74
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Finally!

As I said: CHAPEL on a HILL (Madison County)
I started searching using Chapel and Hill and NC. Of course most of what I got was Chapel Hill, NC and Westley, NC for some reason.

So what is that? Got any history or anything interesting with it? Looking forward to seeing where this goes next.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #75
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

I hadn't really even looked for this one until last night. I found out I would have some free time this morning and with 20% chance of rain the weather looked good. I pulled up MS Streets & Trips and found it pretty quick. Only 50 miles from me.

My plan was to slip up and grab the tag and be in Hot Springs when the library opened up at 10am. Then a nice leisurely ride back home. Spring Creek, over Troublesome Gap, Turkey Creek, Potato Branch, and then over Hookers Gap be back to the house by about lunch time. By the time I got to Weaverville is was misting pretty good. By the time I got to Grapevine it was raining steady. On Big Laurel it was raining pretty dang good, and by the time I got to the tag on Chapel Hill Rd (shown on some maps as Gunter Town Rd.) it was pouring.

I was sitting on the porch of the tag. That is Chapel Hill Baptist Church across the road from the tag

It was raining so hard and my with all the fog and my shield fogging up, I decided to sit on the porch and wait it out. I sat there over and hour and listened to the rain beat down on the tin roof. Everytime I would think it was going to let up you could hear it coming thru the trees.

It finally let up enough to run out and grab the tag an then about 15 minutes later I took off.

By that time I didn't have time for the ride I had planned and hi-tailed it for home.

I have some work to do this afternoon but will try to get the next tag up this evening sometime. May have to use a file pic though.