User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
BAP OP
Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer: 550
2010 Yamaha Tenere?

Any word from anyone about the 2010 Tenere? I have surfed the net but found notning about any mods or spec changes about this bike. Anyone got anything?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
The only word that matters to me is that it's coming to the US.

So far...... nothing.
rhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
BAP OP
Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer: 550
Thats a shame. I just got back from the KTM dealer after looking at the 690 enduro. Nice bike, seats hard, too hard for touring but you could change that easily. I have to compare the two now................
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 439
Question Maybe it's just rumors, but -

I have heard that it should a 1200ccm twin with 110-120bhp...
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I'll place a small wager that there are zero significant changes...

Nick.
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T
...been hearing that since they re-debuted.

Im with the other guy. All i want to hear is that theyre coming to the states. I might even pay sticker price.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
That was about the Super Teneré, and it was just a rumour started by some magazine. A 1200cc offroader is utterly retarded, a 1200cc Teneré even more retarded. =)
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Bring it to the states and ill buy one in a hart beat. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
I'd buy it too - at a price point near the KLR650. But would you buy it at $8500USD? $9500USD? Thats approximately the effective cost in most European markets.

The quandary for YMUS - lots of interest but does it transfer into significant sales at a price they can make money on. Or at that price do buyers opt for a prestige brand. Lot of cheddar required to find out - and if you bet wrong in this enviroment...well the responsible party is shit-canned at the speed of light.

So I don't see anyone at YMUS pulling the trigger - not enough upside for a possible career breaker.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity
I'd buy it too - at a price point near the KLR650. But would you buy it at $8500USD? $9500USD? Thats approximately the effective cost in most European markets.

The quandary for YMUS - lots of interest but does it transfer into significant sales at a price they can make money on. Or at that price do buyers opt for a prestige brand. Lot of cheddar required to find out - and if you bet wrong in this enviroment...well the responsible party is shit-canned at the speed of light.

So I don't see anyone at YMUS pulling the trigger - not enough upside for a possible career breaker.
THink FJR1300....

Originally Yamaha didn't bring it to the states either... They took a risk and said they would sell them ONLY after taking a deposit on one, THEN they would ship it... People bought it based upon the reviews alone - and eventually the FJR now comes into the US as part of regular business...

If they would do that with the Tenere, I would think enough people would pony up the $$ to at least allow for it to be a special order...

I wouldn't pay 9k for one - but If I could walk out of the dealer for one with bags for 8500 I would do it..

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Drachenfels
Wayfairing Stranger

Oddometer: 47
Wink BRING the TENERE to the US, dammit...

I'm 47, and like my KLR.. hate the new one, and don't want the weight of a 1200GS. Can't justify the $$$ for the new 800GS. TDM850 has been gone for years.... Want something that is touring worthy, but capable on trails. No illusions about it being a FJR or dirt bike... it needs to be a swiss army knife on 2 wheels.

Dammit, if they'd sell this here for oh, $8500 w/ ABS and hard bags, I'd actually buy a new one from a dealer.

YAMAHA, ARE YOU LISTENING? SELL THIS BIKE IN THE US, DAMMIT!
Drachenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenfels
like my KLR.. hate the new one

if they'd sell this here for oh, $8500 w/ ABS and hard bags, I'd actually buy a new one from a dealer. YAMAHA, ARE YOU LISTENING?
What is it you like $2,000 better about the Tenere than the new KLR?

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
THink FJR1300....

Originally Yamaha didn't bring it to the states either... They took a risk and said they would sell them ONLY after taking a deposit on one, THEN they would ship it... People bought it based upon the reviews alone - and eventually the FJR now comes into the US as part of regular business...

If they would do that with the Tenere, I would think enough people would pony up the $$ to at least allow for it to be a special order...

I wouldn't pay 9k for one - but If I could walk out of the dealer for one with bags for 8500 I would do it..
That's the issue for YMUS - $500 is a deal breaker. So they import it at $8500 target and the dollar tanks - which aint a remote possibility any longer - they loose even the hard core interested buyers.

The FJ came in in 2003? 04? During a period of economic improvement - dare I say euphoria. Sit in a product execs chair, looking at a 50% downturn in sales, and pull the trigger on a bike that will compete with the entire DS market segment's volume leader on the low end and the markets top prestige brand at and prices slightly above. The margin for positive outcomes is too narrow for a bet that may end a career and quite possibly seriously damage the company. So the status quo remains. Especially when the product is nice, but not a killer app.

But it does look bitchin' dirty, that's something I can work with -

Whether or not anyone would ever actually ride it too Timbuktu is immaterial - Harleys proven that you don't need to knife someone over a beer tab to be an outlaw.

That being the case, I'd go full steam ahead - and make it the centerpiece of DS evangelism. Make Yamaha the Land Rover of the bike world (then sell it to Mahindra for obscene coin since they got short changed.) Plenty of peeps are having midlife crisis right now - and no compensatory bike to drive to the mall. There'd never be a clean one in the showrooms. Dirts part of dealer prep. The lawn out front becomes an ADVENTURE TRAIL™. Every soccer mom traveling the divided highway would get moist enthralled by the feats of daring on display. Probably a wreck or two. Imagine the publicity as they hafta shut these playgrounds down for the good of public safety. Might even make Nightline.

Sponsor a well covered Tip to Tip ride coordinating timing with portions of the Dakar route - ensuring 46 seconds of coverage on Versus and a full 20 minutes on Fox FOX Sports en Español. (Don't overlook the demographic.)
Concurrently, send another from a London landmark (say the Eye) overland through the most stunning and dangerous route to Yamaha HQ in Hamamatsu. Not that we'd want people killed - but it wouldn't hurt ratings. If all else fails, stage a hostage drama along the way. Getting a fourth tier network to produce a trip centered "reality" show would be icing. Risky. But I'm often the redneck saying "Here hold my beer and watch this....."

I'd love to see it - think its a fine bike. But as Montesa (you deserve the capital) alludes, it aint a world shaker. YMUS knows this - which is why I doubt we ever see one.

But God invented shipping containers and TDM850 wrecks for exactly this contingency. Just pray your friendly ICE inspector is focused on fissionables and not illicit motos that day. Let me know if you have room....I prefer an east coast port

Alacrity screwed with this post 07-07-2009 at 08:41 PM
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Actually, the recent rumour goes, that the Super Tenere(?) will be presented at the Milan Motorshow in the fall. Wait and see, as it will be presented as a competitor to the BMW1200GS, so probably less offroad minded(so indeed most likely with a 1200cc engine).
Greetz, Hans.

P.s.: I'll stick to my Tenere XT660Z, I'm totally happy with this bike!!
This piccie of the Tenere ain't mine, but nice anyhow!
Attached Images

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com

dallastx screwed with this post 07-07-2009 at 10:21 PM
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
What is it you like $2,000 better about the Tenere than the new KLR?
is that a trick question???
quality build & FI to start with.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote