User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Having two wheeled fun in Malaysia, Thailand and India

Last report I made was in January or Feb, back in Kathmandu Nepal. Ive since traveled all the way back over to New Zealand for some R and R and now fully refreshed I'm working my way back to Nepal again. I came up through Singapore by train to KL. A really easy journey that took about 6 hours and cost $10.
Took a local city bus over the border from Singapore to Malaysia to the train station for a $1 then hopped on the train.

Nice clean, efficient trains.

Did the sight seeing in K/L. China town was right round the corner from my guest house.

Everyone wants to sell you a watch, but at least they are nice about it, when you say no thanks. Everyone speaks English which almost makes it too easy.

I was really hoping to make it to a track day at Sepang, but couldnt find a rental bike anywhere, and realistically I didnt have any riding gear, so probably not a good idea. ive since located a shop that can rent me a Ninja 250. So Im going back in Decemeber to try again and this time get my leathers sent out in advance.

Off to do a bit more sight seeing up at batu caves in the north of the city.

before i left I had to get the obligitory night shots of the Petronis Towers. Im so glad i did, they really take your breath away when you see them at night.

Ok thats it for now, promise there will be motorcycling soon.

rogerdodger screwed with this post 08-21-2009 at 06:33 AM
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

From K/L I took a bus down to Melaka on the west coast. What a fun little town. Lots of history with the Portuguese in the 1500's then the Dutch and lastly the Brits have a go from the 1700's up till WW2. The inner city has many historical buildings that you can spend a few days wandering around.
At night time there is a fairy tale look to the place.

Still no motorcycle, but i did meet the local mountain bike club and they took me out for two amazing night rides. The second was 40km through the jungle. Leaving at 9.00pm after things had cooled down. never ridden at night and had to duck from so many bats. Flat tires happen, but this guy had it fixed in a second.

riding with cute girls always makes the miles go by faster.

these guys are the friendliest gang Ive ever met. They welcomed me and two other travelers into their group and made sure each of us was taken care of through the whole ride, then they had us all pose in front of the the water display along the river in town.

Ok I promise there will be motorcycles involved soon.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok 103 views and not one person got some cheering encouragement? Well a big to you lot. What do i have to do, post gratuitous pictures of cute Thai girls in my hotel room,

or just jump right in and start on the riding pics.

I though you guys might like a little in depth culture and history. But I obviously over estimated you! Damn and now this stupid post just took nearly an hour to get things to load on the dragging internet here. OK well I nearly have all the Mae Hong Son Loop pictures sorted.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
damoace
PinderBuilt

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Ok 103 views and not one person got some cheering encouragement? Well a big to you lot. What do i have to do, post gratuitous pictures of cute Thai girls in my hotel room,

or just jump right in and start on the riding pics.

Yup. Both. and Lots!

Seriously though, good 'onya mate. I'm subscribed and looking forward to it!

WWW.BMRIDER.COM
damoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,961
I'm enjoying the RR. Keep it coming!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
yep, keep it going! good stuff so far!
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Interneet is still dragging so not sure how much I can load.

FRom Melaka I bused on up to Penang north of K/L and still on the west coast just south of Thailand. Its another historical place. The British came here in the 1700's to trade with China and Siam in the spice trade, amoungst other things. Penang can refur to the region, or the island. Georgetown is the capitol on Penang island. I arrived on a Sunday to find the racer boys out in the town square having some fun and games.

ah crap, its taken forever to make smugmug load. sorry have to try again someother time. hopefully this posts ok. Bloody hell 20 attempts to make this page submit and still get load error.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Lets see how we can do with internet today.

So Id arrived in Georgetown, Penang by ferry.

Id traveled up from Melaka with a Dutch girl Id met and she couldn't ride, so looked like Id be chauffeuring for the next couple of days.

Franca likes her dinners! She'll kill me if she finds out I put this pic on the internet!

The food in Penang is really good though.

At the beach these Buddhist monks were really cutting it up on the jet ski's They'd criss cross each other and then jump the wakes get some awsome air. Whod have thunk monks would be so cool. (ok I totally made that up, but in my head I was thinking I bet they would do that if no one was watching)

Its predomently Muslim here. THey are so nice. Its really funny and strange to see them in some of the full burkas but cutting up having a laugh, or riding on scooters. When they go in the water its fully clothed, still no showing of any bit of skin allowed. I think they must have though Femca was a complete harlot in her 2 peice bikini.

we left the beach and headed for a ride around the island. On the far side found this great little locals swimming hole. this nutty old guy was diving off this ledge into about 4ft deep water. We later found out he and the rest of his family were shit faced drunk as they offered us a swig out of their litre coke bottle that was full of whiskey.

The roads around the far side of the island are a blast. I dumped Franca the next day and took off on a better geared scooter for a few blasts around the island.
no they dont drive on the right, this guy is totally cutting the corner. And you can expect cars and big trucks to do this to you on blind corners too. They dont even make any effort to get out of your way. Its he who drives the biggest vehicle rules here.

I love the guys with the baskets. They are the locals that have riden these roads all their lives and they whip round the corners while chatting on thier cell phones.

Trucks too are something to watch out for.

At least they are equal opertunity parkers.

Ow dinner time gota go and tomorrow Im traveling back down to Bangkok. My last day here in Chiang Mai and I ran into these guys.

"you pay fine now, bike stay here you walk to police station"

rogerdodger screwed with this post 07-01-2009 at 06:23 AM
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,809
Thanks for the report from a part of the world we rarely see on two wheels

Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
F

You've got Shiny wheels !
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
You've got Shiny wheels !
it must have been the cow poo i rode through!

Hey Im sending you a PM. I just arrived in India. Promise I'll finish this report, but for now Im trying to organize my ride to Maneli
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

From Malaysia I headed up to Thailand. Little r&r with a Thai girl I met in Bangkok, then on the train up to Chiang Mai. Id heard it was good riding in the north, but wow, I had no idea it was this good. Looking around for a bike to rent. Plenty available.

Because Im a cheap bastard and because it looked like a really fun little bike I choose a Yamaha YZM150 two stroke.

I took it for a trial run on the short Samoeng Loop and was just blown away by how awesome these roads are.

I took me a sometimes to figure out how the hell to get out of the city.

Finally find the main road out of the city.

The road starts by winding through some small villages, Gota watch out for the dogs that wander out in the road. The nice thing about this bike is with its little pee shooter exhaust it makes so much noise everything knows Im coming.

Then its into the country and start heading for the hills.

Little farms with immacualte gardens dot the countryside.

Wow these roads are just fantastic. Im pretty much laughing in my helmet all the time im riding.

I stop in Samoeng for lunch. The first place I stop at has table outside so it must serve food. After some confused guestering from the propriotor I figure out this is a grocery store, but she calls someone who leads me down the road to her resturant.

Lunch is perfect all for $1

Back on the road again and the views are pretty impressive.

I stop for another photo op and these guys out on a 4 wheeling fun weekend ask if I can take their picture. Now we are life long buddies.

No time to hang around and chat I got roads to ride. The loop comes out about 30km north of Chiang Mai on a 4 lane highway. It took about 3 hours with photo stops and its only 3pm. Why ride a highway when you can ride the roads i just rode. So i turned around and did it again backwards!

Next ride up the Mae Hong Song Loop next
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,257
If you need more encouragement

I want more. I've always wanted to make it over to Thailand and ride jungle trails. MTB or dirt bike, it's all good.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 222
interesting bike to rent

Interesting bike. Kinda wished they had those over in the states. The riding looks awesome!

Great RR...
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughatmyvanagon111
Interesting bike. Kinda wished they had those over in the states. The riding looks awesome!

Great RR...
Yeah kinda shame but they have stopped making them in Thailand now for the past few years too. The day of the two stroke is definately numbered. When you ride these bikes though you realize why the European kids in MotoGP are so fast. Its a great bike to teach you how to use speed in the corners.