ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Glockowner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Glockowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 322
BMW F650GS Shift Lever

Well I went off road yesterday and a rut decided to take my shift lever off... I was unaware the lever was made out of lead.

Anyway, I have been scouring this website, f650.com, and the rest of the internet but am not satisfied with the selection.

The factory leveris ridiculously priced plus it is a piece of crap.

There is the Touratech option but it seems over priced, I would also like it to be a little longer than stock. http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show. ... UWn24C2556

I went to the local KTM dealer to see if they had any levers I could look at to see if they would be a suitable replacement. But that dealer is trash, and they did not have 1 single shift lever for any bike, which left me dumbfounded.

Does anyone know of a cheap alternative? Surely a lever off of a KTM, Aprillia or some other bike that utilizes the Rotax power plant would fit, and there might be more aftermarket options for one of these bikes.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X
Glockowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .
 
Brute's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 1,018
Ballards have a forged aluminium one with a folding tip for half the price of the Touratech one .
http://www.ballards.cc/
Page 65 of their catolouge . All prices are in Aus dollars

Brute screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 10:16 AM
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Glockowner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Glockowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 322
Thanks for the info Brute, but I really need a new shifter by next weekend, not sure if it would make it here from Aus by then.

I found this post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1096.

Can anyone confirm that the XR650L shifter fits?
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X
Glockowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,880
The lever that comes with TT's Rallye footpeg kit certainly can take some bashing. Bent where it's designes to bend and bent back again without any issues and has worked perfectly for 5 years since this picture was taken

__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Yukon65006
.
 
Yukon65006's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Oddometer: 495
Moose part number MH12 does fit without any problems.
__________________
______________________________________
Turn signals are like farts, never trust them.
Yukon65006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
rygroh
Noobs UNITE
 
rygroh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: COS
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockowner
Thanks for the info Brute, but I really need a new shifter by next weekend, not sure if it would make it here from Aus by then.

I found this post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1096.

Can anyone confirm that the XR650L shifter fits?
I can not tell you 100% that it will fit but that does sound like the one I put on my 650gs. Folding tip and cost about $25+/-....

Just checked and there is a bookmark for a xr650l shift lever in my favs so I am going to say I am 95% that that is the one on my 03 f650. Mine is from MSR
__________________
ha!
rygroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?
 
ehatcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Eastern PA
Oddometer: 2,117
I agree that the Touratech lever is pricey, and it would be nice if it were a bit longer.....but it held together for me after a nasty getoff, and we were able to straighten it out enough for me to finish the ride. I was a long way from home when this happened, it was less than 20 degrees and I was on a seldom travelled road.




Another thing I don't like about the TT lever is that it is not very rigid, sometimes it feels spongy when shifting...however, a stiffer lever may have damaged the shaft and that would have been a major PIA.

The TT lever survived getting pretty bent up, did not mess up the shaft, and it got me home. For me that outweighs the cost, the shortness and the spongy feel, I bought another one to replace it. YMMV

Eric
__________________
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
The lever that comes with TT's Rallye footpeg kit certainly can take some bashing. Bent where it's designes to bend and bent back again without any issues and has worked perfectly for 5 years since this picture was taken


Mine looked almost like that! except that I bent it all the way back and under. I had to finish the race in first gear!

I bent it back out and have ridden another 15000km since.
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
Mine looked almost like that! except that I bent it all the way back and under. I had to finish the race in first gear!

I bent it back out and have ridden another 15000km since.
That's three TT success stories in short order
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Glockowner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Glockowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 322
I received my new Moose MH12 shifter as prescribed by ET Chief and it bolted up perfectly!!! The end is in the same place as the stocker, but instead of having several bends it is merely angled once near the base. Looks better than the stock one, and functions. 37.00 shipped from Motorcycle Superstore. Next time I have a larger order from them I will probably throw another one in my shopping cart to get it with free shipping as a back up.


If anyone else orders from MS it is easiest too look up shifters that fit the newer model XR250R's.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X
Glockowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
spectrecat
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Leander, TX
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockowner
I received my new Moose MH12 shifter as prescribed by ET Chief and it bolted up perfectly!!! The end is in the same place as the stocker, but instead of having several bends it is merely angled once near the base. Looks better than the stock one, and functions. 37.00 shipped from Motorcycle Superstore. Next time I have a larger order from them I will probably throw another one in my shopping cart to get it with free shipping as a back up.


If anyone else orders from MS it is easiest too look up shifters that fit the newer model XR250R's.
Is the moose lever longer then stock?

Paul
spectrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Glockowner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Glockowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrecat
Is the moose lever longer then stock?

Paul

Not noticeably longer, maybe a quarter of an inch at the most. I was hoping for a little extra length due to my size 13 feet, but I don't really have any issues shifting.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X
Glockowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
spectrecat
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Leander, TX
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockowner
Not noticeably longer, maybe a quarter of an inch at the most. I was hoping for a little extra length due to my size 13 feet, but I don't really have any issues shifting.
I have size twelve feet, and when I added pivot pegs I just ran out of room to shift. I had a local shop weld in a 1.75" section to give me more room, but I wish it had a folding tip. I dropped the dike off road, but the engine guard a pegs protected the shifter.
spectrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Tempe, AZ
Oddometer: 286
The TT adjustable lever offers plenty of room.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Glockowner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Glockowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrecat
I have size twelve feet, and when I added pivot pegs I just ran out of room to shift. I had a local shop weld in a 1.75" section to give me more room, but I wish it had a folding tip. I dropped the dike off road, but the engine guard a pegs protected the shifter.
I have size 13 shoes, when wearing regular boots I do fine, but with off road boots there isn't nearly enough room. I think the Moose lever would make an excellent candidate to lengthen. I may buy a second one to stretch, then save this one as a back up.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X
Glockowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014