User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Denmark -> Alps on a twostroke hack!

Aha, so this is me, I am Lasse, 21 year old Danish lad moving, yet again, to a foreign country. Last time I went to Ireland, lovely place and the biking community and Ireland itself is really underestimated as a biking country. But I left because I was looking for something else, but I still haven't found what I am looking for.

This time I am going to the heart of Europe, where almost every other biker would want to live, Austria. The Alps. For the greater part of a year I have been looking for an internship as a forester. It's not a large trade these days, alot is being done by machines, so it wasn't the easiest gig to land. But I did it, to my own surprise as well, I had already settled on a Danish place but carried on with the searching anyway, and luck struck.

Anyhow, it's not a mega mekka crossing the oceans, where will I sleep tomorrow ridereport, not at all. Though I would like to be that type, I just don't have the balls to not have any security net. Not yet anyway.

I'm just blabbing on with my ponderings, but I'll save that for another forum instead :)

The bike itself is Emma, and old east german freakling. On paper she's called an MZ TS250 and her buddy is a Super Elastik sidecar. Which infact should refer to the whole suspension setup. They just got married a little month ago before I left on vacation and just a few days ago I got her through the danish version of the MoT. She sailed through, flying colours and responded with a first kick start.

I bought her in Febuary I think, so I haven't had her for a long time, but she's been good to me, I had other bikes for several years, but she's the one that has given me the best kilometers, and the cheapest.

I've debated with myself if I should post the start of the report now, and then return with pictures later or just wait till I have it all, we will see by the end of it all if I really can wait to push the submit button and to the mandatory 2 hour editing.

So the trip itself goes from Esbjerg in Denmark, Sittersdorf Austria via Hamburg and Villach by the Autotrain. Yes, I am a wuss, a cross between a wimp and a puss for not driving all the way myself.

It is now 9.30PM on the 13th of July and the train leaves on the 14th of July at 12.50. In other words, I have to get up before the sun rises to do the 5-7 hour trip to Hamburg. I have chosen only to use B roads, as 80km/h on the autobahn between trucks and BMWs is not my thing. Well, motorways is not my thing in anyway. So when I land after a comfortable trainride I will only have about an hour to my final destination.

Here's the kicker, I don't own a digital camera. So to make it super retro, in our time, I've bought three disposable cameras, hopefully they'll give a nice old touch.

Just a few pictures of Emma, her buddy looks a little bit better now, he's got lights and all the decorations they sport.

LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Bummer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
:O)... Go tur Hold på hat og briller..

Happy trails...

We dont stop making foolish things because we get older.
But if we stop making foolish things, we get old to fast...(that goes for foolish nicknames too... )
Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC
but I still haven't found what I am looking for.
You too?

I'm pretty sure I'll see you on the road sometime in Austria this winter.

Richard-NL
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

I have been slacking on the pictures :(

Richard, want to be my partner in the Iron run? :)

http://www.free-space.at/roadrun/

I have a place to stay and the MZ
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Run whatcha brung, as we used to say. Looking foward to more, didn't make it to eastern Austria in the time I had.
re 'but I still haven't found what I am looking for', I think that could make a great hook for a song. Someone needs to take it and run.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Take us along with your move, in words and pics

Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Why is the outfit sitting on it's centre stand?
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

So about 10 days ago I moved from Denmark to Austria.

It was 3:30AM on the 14th of July, the MZ, who's called Emma, was packed to the breachingpoint the day before. There she stood in all her faded glory ready to bring me to Hamburg. The ride from Esbjerg to Hamburg is only a mere 280 kilometers through the backroads. I had studied maps several weeks before I had to leave because I am so paranoid of getting lost and not meeting the deadlines for then to get stranded.

Anyway, the time was 3:30AM the alarm on the mobile went off, so I got up and made an effort to open my eyes with the limited sleep I'd gotten the night before. I put on my gear so slow that possibility of falling asleep again was overwhelming.

My mother and father came to say goodbye, and off I was. I couldn't believe it, for almost a year had I dreamt of getting to Austria and now this was it, the real thing. Going to Austria, fcuk yeah I felt cool sitting on a beaten old twostroker with a sidecar and a topspeed of 90km/h.

As soon as the adrenalin rush had gone my next thought was, this is fcuking cold, why I am wearing these racinggloves when I have some warm ones in the tankbag? I pulled in at the next lay-by and the engine immidiately went out. Oh siht I thought, always thinking the worst. Well I got the gloves I stopped for, and tried kicking the machine in to life, it took 5 swings and then it was there. I think it does that when the engine is not fully warmed up.

I drove through the morning, the sun was rising on the horizon and the fog was thick, thick as fcuk. If my visor was closed it would fog up on the inside and then I'd have zero visibility. When it was open it was so cold that my eyeballs hurt. I chose freezing eyeballs. But the landscape was beautiful. I could see the sun burning through the fog a little and the wet grass and trees in the background, stunning view for little Denmark.

The rest of the journey until Itzehoe was quite uneventful, my arse hurt so I moved around alot.

Then I came hear Itzehoe on the backroads, my printed googlemaps navigation piece of paper told me to hold right when I saw Itzehoerstrasse L121, though it never came? Hmm, now my worse-than-DC-getting-lost paranoia set in, I went WTF up in my head several times. I drove a few more kilometers when I saw a sign for Hamburg but it was with the Autobahn. I dread having to ride highways on regular bikes. But an old MZ with a topspeed of 90km/hs in busy Hamburger morning traffic?

It was quite OK though, I held to the right (As we do over here) and people passed me slowly.

A few days earlier I had spoken with a mate of mine who'd taken the Autotrain before, he told me that I needed to take the last exit before the Elbtunnel. Okay I think, that should be easy enough, usually there are signs that say "Last exit before", well not here, I had to guess and take my chance. Luckily I made a last second descision and drove off. Now this was not the way I'd planned to reach the autotrain terminal, I had no map of this. Again, the where the fcuk am I paranoia. But I asked a few people in my gebrocken german, drove through some small oneway streets and ended up following a bus that said "Bahnhof"

Okay, so I found the terminal which was quite straightforward. The train started loading the vehicles at 12.50PM and the time was now 8.46AM. So I put my feet on the headlight leaned back so I rested my head on the leatherpants I'd taken off and took a nap, in all the morning traffic of Hamburg. And what a nap, I woke an hour later when the terminal lady came to open up. So I taped the A4 paper that said "VILLACH" on to the bonnet of the sidecar and drove up to the queuing-area. I tried to read a book I'd brought with me from home, but I just couldn't get started. Later another danish family on a Moto Guzzi rig from 1978. Nice machine and I had a little chat with the man of the family about adjusting and driving rigs.

The vehicles got loaded and I found my cabin whom I shared with 4 germans. The air was good and we all talked pretty good together until 20minutes in to the ride where one of the germans, a woman upper twenties, got a call and started crying. Her best friend had died. Buzzkill.

The landscape outside when driving down through Germany was nothing special, fields, cows, graffiti at the trainstations was all I saw. So around 8.30PM we converted the cabin to a sleeping cabin. Man was I tired. I quickly fell asleep and woke up when a man from the service crew came to wake us who where getting off at Villach up. It was about 5AM, sun was rising and we were in the middle of the Alps, how cool? Having had a good sleep, food all, and then to be in the middle of it.

The unloading of the vehicles was quite swift, it took 5 minutes and then off to Miklauzhof I was. These roads, its incredible that anyone would want to own a motorcycle in Denmark now I think, after riding here. Up, down, left, right, then left again, small old villages with small churches, magnificent. But I am not that experienced with driving a rig, so when the first hairpin to the right (Thats the hard part, the rig is on the right, so the bike tips) it really took me by surprise.

I found Miklauzhof easily, went up to the door and got greeted by my new boss' wife Christina. The place was amazing, they have given me my own room of 40squaremeters with own kitchen, toilet & bath and best of yet, my own garage for Emma. The winding roads and mountain views are just outside my window.

I work as a forrester at the Hochobir mountain with two other men, a father and son called "Peppe und Peppe". They're 52 and 77 years old. These two I have a really hard time understanding, but I hope that it will get better. When the Peps are not at work I am helping my boss around the huge garden or doing some forresting work for some family members.

I've ridden a bit this past week, 500km of leasure time. So far I have done Seebergsattel, Paulitschsattel, Wuerzenpass and alp-riding to Zell Pfarre and other small nearby towns.

Hope you have enjoyed the write up, I'll see if I can supply some pictures later on
Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

PICTURES PICTURES!

Low quality, didn't have a memory card :(

View from my room

One of the barns

Where I get water when I am thirsty

Maierhof, 600 years old

I work here, this is my view

Post-work brew

On the way home from work

Here's Emma

Another post-work brew
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 783
Looking good. More please

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
You've landed in a superb area, with Slovenia and Italy in the immediate area.

I'm jealous

So - just what does a Forester do? I suspect that the Euro term is different from the American term in the scope of duties.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
You've landed in a superb area, with Slovenia and Italy in the immediate area.

I'm jealous

So - just what does a Forester do? I suspect that the Euro term is different from the American term in the scope of duties.
We knock trees, plant trees, build log houses, climb trees, tell about trees, hunt etc. :)