Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #46
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
This one has been on my list for years and evertime I see a great report like this it kills me. Great pics, I'm envious!!

thanks,

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #47
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Okay, you've convinced me. This one's on the list for next summer.

Thanks for the RR!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #48
GSing
Sua Sponte

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for the suggestion on the RT. Thinking about adding the Trans-Taiga and North Rd. Plenty of gravel. Time is not an issue. (damn I've been waiting a long time to say that) Should the money and my backside hold out, might also add the Lab Highway. Know anything about Goose Bay? I'm not going to book a ferry until the last moment. May need to hang out awhile. Camping of course.

Clarence
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #49
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
This RR has me considering an impulse vacation from Baltimore to SJB and back via Quebec if I can clear it with the boss(es).

Is the Northroad navigable after a rain? I figured I'd head due north to the SJB then break south-east on the southbound leg. Just planning for the worst. Google Earth shows a few fuel stops, but does anyone know of any stretches greater than 200mi w/o petrol?

Is Visa readily accepted for gas and supplies or do you need to carry a wad of cash?

My last time that far north was on another continent. Is August generally a stable weather month? Is early September risking snow?

Is there any cell phone/SMS coverage, or should I get a Spot for the "OK" events?

This is still a "what if" but it's not the worst impulse I have ever had.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #50
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtzl
This RR has me considering an impulse vacation from Baltimore to SJB and back via Quebec if I can clear it with the boss(es).
Sure, you'll be fine. Just like driving to the Catskills for the weekend.

Best Regards,

The Bears at KM 340.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #51
Indochine
'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer: 356
Thumb

A very fine RR boys. Those are some nice pix, too. Plus your economy of description left a very clear idea of what one would meet up there and back.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #52
johnha82
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:

My last time that far north was on another continent. Is August generally a stable weather month? Is early September risking snow?

Is there any cell phone/SMS coverage, or should I get a Spot for the "OK" events?

F
Actually a very good impulse. I've done the trip twice, can't answer your Northroad questions but as to others.

We went up early September in 2003 and 2007. 1st trip on a V65 Sabre, 2nd on a '91 ST. In 2003 they had very warm (unusual) weather, as high as the low 80's F a couple of days. In 2007 it was more seasonal, into the 40's at night, 60's on sunny days.

I did not find any cell coverage on the JBR, BUT, the emergency phones that periodically line the road are actually pay phones. You can use your calling card, pre-paid phone cards etc on these phones.

Make sure you have some cash. I ran into a couple of places in Quebec where I could not use my VISA or Discover cards.

I have read the Trans-Taiga road is the most remote place in North America, so if that's on your agenda it's worth knowing. A spare can of fuel is not a bad idea on the road.

HTH
johnha82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #53
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnha82
Actually a very good impulse. I've done the trip twice, can't answer your Northroad questions but as to others.

We went up early September in 2003 and 2007. 1st trip on a V65 Sabre, 2nd on a '91 ST. In 2003 they had very warm (unusual) weather, as high as the low 80's F a couple of days. In 2007 it was more seasonal, into the 40's at night, 60's on sunny days.

I did not find any cell coverage on the JBR, BUT, the emergency phones that periodically line the road are actually pay phones. You can use your calling card, pre-paid phone cards etc on these phones.

Make sure you have some cash. I ran into a couple of places in Quebec where I could not use my VISA or Discover cards.

I have read the Trans-Taiga road is the most remote place in North America, so if that's on your agenda it's worth knowing. A spare can of fuel is not a bad idea on the road.

HTH
Great info, thanks for that! I won't have the time or fuel range to give the TT a run, but I do plan to bring extra gas since my bike would run dry on the long legs on the JBR.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #54
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:

Is the Northroad navigable after a rain? I figured I'd head due north to the SJB then break south-east on the southbound leg. Just planning for the worst. Google Earth shows a few fuel stops, but does anyone know of any stretches greater than 200mi w/o petrol?

Is Visa readily accepted for gas and supplies or do you need to carry a wad of cash?

F

200 miles = 321 km. The stretch between Matagami and the only gas stop on the James Bay Road is 381 km. You will need to carry extra gas.

I am not sure what you mean by the Northroad. The James Bay Road is paved and in very good condition the whole way. The only gravel you will hit is about 10 km at the very last leg, between Chisisabi and the water's edge of the Bay. Even that portion is well maintained and I would not expect any issues in September.

I was able to use VISA every time I wanted to - carry some cash as I did not see a lot of ATMs.

Cell coverage - none along the highway, but we were quite surprised to find very good service at the Bay.

Give in to your impulse, and GO. You will not regret it!

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #55
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larose
200 miles = 321 km. The stretch between Matagami and the only gas stop on the James Bay Road is 381 km. You will need to carry extra gas.

I am not sure what you mean by the Northroad. The James Bay Road is paved and in very good condition the whole way.
See this link for info on the North Road
http://www.jamesbayroad.com/nr/index.html

"
The North Road (Route du Nord) is an alternate route to reach the lower part of the James Bay Road. It is a remote road that runs from near Chibougamau to km 275 of the James Bay Road. It is 406 km long, and is a modern gravel road with smooth curves and hills, unpaved for its entire length. There is very little traffic -- most of the traffic is trucks. The first 154 km are used by mammoth logging trucks. Use caution! There are numerous warning signs about them."

Much more info on the guides etc via that link above.. I may be doing this one next year..

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #56
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
All of sudden there was not much of a gap between us - I always felt very far removed from the First Nations people - now I feel much more connected.
Definitely one of the reasons for travel - congrats on making the connection!

Loved the RR. On my recent trip on the Trans-Lab I met some guys from New York who did the Trans-Taiga last year, which takes off to the east from the northern part of the James Bay Road. I'm itching to give it a ride!

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #57
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins
On my recent trip on the Trans-Lab I met some guys from New York who did the Trans-Taiga last year, which takes off to the east from the northern part of the James Bay Road. I'm itching to give it a ride!
I would love to try that... remote is an understatement there! I am planning to do the North Road to James Bay next year.. Dont know if I will have time for the Trans Taiga, and that is likley best to do with a riding buddy.

Pat in NH
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #58
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
I would love to try that... remote is an understatement there! I am planning to do the North Road to James Bay next year.. Dont know if I will have time for the Trans Taiga, and that is likley best to do with a riding buddy.

Pat in NH

The guys told me the Trans-Taiga is a better road than the Trans-Lab, due to the very heavy truckloads that move through. I think the quote was, "Yeah, you can easily cruise down it at 80mph - assuming you're good with knowing there's not a band-aid to be had for 500 miles!" There are two outfitters on the road that will sell gas, and the longest stretch is about 440 miles roundtrip from the last outfitter to the end of the road - so an extra 5-gallon tank for my 1200GS and I should be good. But, yeah, solo is probably a bit risky.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #59
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Excellent. Our bikes are twins man. You know how use her.
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #60
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
I might actually suggest you take the RT instead of the 650GS. You will like the extra horses on the highway, and there is very little gravel to worry about (only about 10 km at the very end before the Bay.)
If he does the Route Du Nord (North Road), he will want the 650GS..

I am thinking of that one next year..

Pat in NH