Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #61
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Okay, you've convinced me. This one's on the list for next summer.

Thanks for the RR!

--mark
Mark, we will have to stay in touch.. I am looking at thsi for next year too..

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #62
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
Mark, we will have to stay in touch.. I am looking at thsi for next year too..
Sounds good.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #63
Gordo8483
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great pics, we're heading up there on Aug 24. Do you known if camping is allowed on crown land or did you use campgrounds.
Gordo8483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #64
mrbowenz
Major Underachiever

Oddometer: 85
Loved the report guys, from just north of Philadelphia, I am planning on going next July, need to find a riding partner , solo might be a stretch. I will be riding my Transalp, I just found Radisson on google earth, then found your RR, very helpful indeed.

I have been to the Gouin Resevoir and lac Hebert, but JB is allot further , can't wait.
mrbowenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #65
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo8483
Great pics, we're heading up there on Aug 24. Do you known if camping is allowed on crown land or did you use campgrounds.
There is a nice pay campground run by the Municipality at ~ km 38. There is also a pay campsite in Radisson. I know the one at km 38 has nice showers.

If you ask politely, you will be welcomed to camp on the beach in Chisasibi. Most of the river picnic areas on the way up have decent tent sites for free.

I don't know the politics of whether the land within the municipality of James Bay is Crown land or not. I don't think you'll have any trouble camping anywhere along the road, but if you are planning to do any fishing or hunting there are many rules pertaining to negotiated tribal areas that you'll want to verify.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #66
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo8483
In Ontario, there are signs stating that you're supposed to camp on crown land only if one of the campers is a Canadian resident. In reality, I doubt it matters.

We camped on the JB Road and at James Bay a few weeks ago. Everyone was very friendly and the locals were quite proud we'd chosen to visit the bay and spend the night there (apparently lots of folks only visit the dams and skip Chisasibi and the Bay). It's an awesome experience.

Just make sure you have drinking water. The free campsites along the road are very good and there are toilets, but no water pumps.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #67
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,576
If you end up at Chisasibi in need of water, head into town and politely ask any one where the store is. Get a gallon of drinking water and a can of Dole Pineapple while grooving to the weird arsed pop music the clerks are playing. Open 'til 11pm 7 days a week.

At the bigger rivers, I wouldn't worry too much about the water quality if the need arose.

You can refill water bottles at the fuel stop also.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #68
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowenz
Loved the report guys, from just north of Philadelphia, I am planning on going next July, need to find a riding partner , solo might be a stretch. I will be riding my Transalp, I just found Radisson on google earth, then found your RR, very helpful indeed.

I have been to the Gouin Resevoir and lac Hebert, but JB is allot further , can't wait.
Looks like there are several us heading in that direction next year... I am planning to try also, just not settled into a date yet..

Pat in NH

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #69
leeky bootz
Gravitationaly challenged

Oddometer: 58
James Bay info

My gf and I just got back this week from Radisson. Nice ride. 3533km. For those who want options to camping, there is a decent motel/bar/restaurant across the road from the Health Centre (aka Centre de santé de Radisson). The reason I am familiar with this geographic coincidence was the 23 black fly bites (that we could see) on my gf's neck. During a stop at the Rupert River, we figured a couple or few or a hundred of black flies hitched a ride in her helmet when she put it on and proceeded to dine. Her neck began to swell from the reaction to the bites and was suffering from an intolerable urge to scratch her head off with the itch. Long story short, the crew at the Health Centre were great and we were off with a prescription and proceeded to check in at the motel across the street.
A note to consider while running the JBR, as I was sitting in the waiting room of the clinic, I was looking at the map of Northern Quebec and was checking out all of the roads in the area. According to the map, all of the Native settlements on the way up the JBR have gas facilities. We did not have the time to venture down each of the roads, but I am sure they would be worth the visit. We did head west to the bay via the road to Chisasibi and detoured the town to cross over LG-1 and continue 48km of gravel to the bay.
But, even more interesting on the big map on the wall, was the PROPOSED route NORTH of Radisson up to the next major river system. The proposed route went off of the top of the map!!! I would approximate it at about another 300km! There was no date on the map, so I can't tell you how far along this proposal is, but knowing Hydro Quebec, it will most likely be reality at some point. (They built the JBR from Matagami to Radisson in only 420 days!)

Lots of info here...
http://www.jamesbayroad.com/

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/_trgn/viewforum.php?f=3
02 HD Road King
88 Honda ZB50

leeky bootz screwed with this post 08-07-2009 at 08:08 AM
leeky bootz is offline   Reply With Quote