User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
BAP OP
Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer: 550
xt660z Tenere V's 690 Enduro?

Ok. In this corner we have the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, she hails out of Japan and has a history of grand musical instruments and war time motorcycles and has a record of winning DAKARS and other adventure tests, she weighs in at 200kgs and wearing the white, blue or black trim...............

In the other corner we have the 690 Enduro Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen hailing out of Mattighofen, Austria. It started its life as a metal working shop and has grown into europe's leading off-road bike manufacturer It too has a reputation for winning DAKARS and long enduros. She weighs in at 150kgs and wearing the orange trim.......

WHOOO.....after all that crap, which is the better bike for adventure touring if you had to buy one of these two singles?.................You have a go because I cant make my mind up which one to buy.......
Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,334
Dirt Rider magazine says the 690 is a winner in a 1 bike class. So no comparison the KTM will own the XT but the KTM cost 30%+ More $$$$.

DR did an article on the 650 Japanese D.S. bikes than one on the 690 because it just couldn't compare to the others.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,333
I wish I had that choice here in the states..but it would take a lot of cash to turn a tenere into a racer..

not much cash to turn the 690 into a Dual Sport travelling machine..

If money's no object I'd take the KTM..just for the fun factor..OMG fun all day long
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I didnt think a do it all bike could exist until my mate started coming out with us on his G650 X Challenge. WE have taken him up slag heap runs, tight rocky trails, bog runs and woods and it gets through it really well. I would have said no way but Ive had a few goes myself and I love it. My XR 400 still feels lighter but the 650 feels just fabulous.
Then its time to come home and we get on the tarmac and I scream my XR at 56/60 mph, my mate just opens up and cruises along effortlessly behind me. His petrol consumption is far better than mine I can only assume its because he is hardly using all that 650 engine power.
My view is simple I want something like that then I only need one bike, I can get rid of my Transalp and my XR and get one bike to do it all.
I wouldnt want to try this on a new Tenere ( or a KLR DR etc etc) to heavy for sure where we as a collective seem to ride.
Although I have not mentioned the bikes really that this thread is about and have not yet ridden a 690 Katoom ,I am sure its going to be in the same bracket and I intend to find a ride and see what its like
I would say the 690 will be the one to beat
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
majle
n00b

Oddometer: 7
i can say that i had a same problem like you...
and what did i buy ?!
nothin'.

i'm one of the many, waiting patiently for the 690 ADV...

in my opinion, if tenere had 10 hp she would be in my garage for some time...

this ktm 690 is a hard enduro machine with "normal" service intervals.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
BAP OP
Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer: 550
But the Ten has a 22 litre tank where the 690 only has a 12 litre tank so for long distance touring you need more fuel. A safari tank costs about $750 aus and gives you an extra 14litres, good you say but this pushes the price of the bike up, then you need a windshield, more cabbage. In Aust that could push the price of the 690 to about $16000aus. I have heard that the tenere will be about $13800 ride away................
Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
To be honest, for me, it would be a no thinker.....KTM
Far more performance.....hitech components....but, actually, I think that you have to make your mind up and specifically state what for you need the bike.

Commuting, traveling, a bit of light off road....or a serious enduro bike with ready to race technology at local rally's and less capability for touring.

Anyway...sweet worries...!!
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
is ktm making an adventure model 690?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Dirt Rider magazine says the 690 is a winner in a 1 bike class. So no comparison the KTM will own the XT but the KTM cost 30%+ More $$$$.

DR did an article on the 650 Japanese D.S. bikes than one on the 690 because it just couldn't compare to the others.
You sure about that? If I could get a XT at 70% the price of a KTM690. I would buy one. Where can I get a XT at 70% the price of a KTM690?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Depends on what kind of riding you are planning to do. I had an 06 xt 660 r, it was heavy and with very soft suspension. Tenere is even heavier. Yamaha is not as powerfull as Ktm but it has nice grunt. With some farkles Tenere would be very good gravel road adventure bike and reliable too. I was actually thinking about getting the Ktm 690 enduro r, but got wr250r instead. Price and reliability issues made me forget about the Ktm. If you want trouble free km's go for the Yamaha!!!!
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Hey,
I have riding them both and i will make it simple:
If you plan on going offroad take the KTM
It's terrible on road!!!
From my experience- I wouldn't take it to the dessert (stay close to the garage), too complex and sensitive combin with some design faults. Very strong engine above 4000rev. not for beginers.
the supermoto model is better

If you'r going to be traveling mostley on road take the XTZ.
Very comfortable, good wind protection, smooth engine, terrible suspension for offroad!!! (to short travel and to soft)
heavy and very sensative when hitting the ground...(plastics, water pump...)
And I love the look of the XTZ

But I'm riding somthing much older and much better...
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Cotthem
990Adv

Oddometer: 170
I own a tenere, and I think, you can't compare the 690 to the tenere.
They are two different bikes.
The ktm is an enduro, for verry technical trailriding, more competition minded. More hardcore.

The tenere is a touring bike with quite good performance off-road if you have the right tires. (I will post a few pics later of a trip I made today in muddy conditions with a friend).

The tenere is also crash proof. I have crashed it a lot .
you can do also long trips with the tenere 800 miles at 80 a 90 mph is no problem. Because there is good windprotection its quite comfy.

If you are a technical off-road rider, go 690.
If you are an off-road traveler, go Tenere (its also cheaper)

For 8000 euros I have a bike with zega paniers, off-road tires and a bunch of off-road accessoires (skid plate, engineguard, Garmin Zumo, roadbookroller)
Cotthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #13
zoltar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Is it problem to ride daily 400km new tenere on normal roads ? Let say 100-140 km/h ?
I want to change my FJR to enduro, but can't figure which one. I want to be able to go in light offroad.
GS are to heavy... 990 ADV to expensive.. Tenere seems to be ok, but can I compare it with GS or ADV 990 ?
zoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
Hey,
I have riding them both and i will make it simple:
If you plan on going offroad take the KTM
It's terrible on road!!!
Dude, WTF!?

Seriously.

It's a GREAT road machine. Admittedly, you need a screen (the SMR screen is perfect, it's what i have fitted) and obviously you're going to need to add some air into the tyres... if you're fussy, fiddle with the suspension. But, the KTM DOES do BOTH off-road and road very well indeed.

I can assure you of this, having just spent the weekend in the Pyrenees on mine - mostly off-road, but had a marvellous race back to the hotel against the clock along twisty turny mountain roads. I haven't grinned so much for a long time.

I also considered the Tenere before buying my 690E. It didn't help Yamaha's case at all that they didn't have a demonstrator for me to try out. Who buys a bike before they've even had a test ride???? Here in UK, the price difference between the 2 bikes is maybe 500 (if you can find a dealer with a KTM at 2008 prices).

However, that aside, the choice was simple - I spent the 500 extra, and got a lighter bike, which is more capable in most respects. I expect the Yamaha would be more comfortable for regular road touring - it's got a better seat and probably feels more planted because of the extra weight, but it's still a Yamaha - with components made from cheese.

The KTM on the other hand is a bit more like a TVR - it's built from the ground up with quality components - WP suspension all-round, D.I.D wheels, Renthal bars, Brembo brakes... that was what really swung it for me - the quality of the components is just far better. Take a look at the Yamaha - it's forks, suspension, brakes, wheels... nothing sexy there - so why does it cost almost the same as the KTM? (at least, where I am)

That, and the KTM has about 10BHP more, which with the decreased weight makes it a lot more fun
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #15
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,658
Here is a good write up on how to make your KTM 690 more road worthy

http://cmgonline.com/content/view/1674/255/

I wish the Tenere' was available here in Canada also.