Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
flingshot OP
PM me for some Co. Dualie

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle
It was Man-bear-pig. Really. I'm thuper-therial here guys.

Yeah! That's it! But I think the one I heard was also half moose.

2009 Pass ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post10219563
flingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
This is more like it.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
flingshot OP

Day 4 from Denver

I knew it had to come. The last day of riding...

It was on up to Independence Pass. Trailace had a close call with some female Rocky Mountain Sheep. They went across the road so fast I thought they were deer.

The road was easy but fun. Soon we were here.

On the way down we took the opportunity to snap a pic or two of the river. Wish I had a Kayak (and a clue as to how to use a kayak)

Next up was Weston Pass. It starts out going through a little residential area with a fun little twisty up and down paved two lane road. Couldn't go too fast though because there were a lot of signs that said "Slow Children Playing" I did not want to scare the slow children so I took it easy.

The pass starts out easy and gets a bit more challenging for a short time. Trailace was in the lead and when I caught up he was helping a young damsel in distress. Seems the young lady had killed the engine on her KTM 2 smoke on a pretty steep incline and ran out of kicks before she could get it running. When I got there Trailace was already mounting up. (On the bike that is!) Shame on you dirty minded buggers.
He got her going good (the bike) and decided to ride her like the man he is (the bike) to the top of the hill so she (the girl) could be on her way. Oh Trailace, youre my hero!
He swaggered down the hill to the XChallenge and we were off again.
We reached yet another summit and it was time to head back down.....

but not before Trailace showed us all what he thought about this sign and the people who put it there.

Heading down...

On to Hagerman Pass. What the heck is this?

This totally cracked me up. I knew that snow lingered up here but this was a surprise to say the least. The other two were already up there waiting so I better get going.

Here we are again. Continental Divide.....again. What a trip.

Trailace coming through a little water crossing. Man that road was wetter than a bus load of fat women on the way to see Ricky Martin.

Josh coming through....No wheelie?

How high would you say that is 8'? It was melting pretty rapidly so if you want to see it you better hurry.

We are not sure what kind of pose this is but we think it starts with Dant dat da daaaaaaa!!!!!

Another postcard shot.

Tennessee Pass. The Devil's box had us scratching our heads on a dirt road about a block away but we found it anyway.

Aint he neat?

One more Devil's box detour. I have to admit it was fun seeing where it would take us. The shortest way was usually the most interesting.

Majestic. Or if your name is Ewan....Brilliant, isn't it? Have you ever noticed that poeple from that part of the world end every statement with a question? They do , don't they? That's kind of funny, isn't it? You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?

Old mine ruins near Leadville. The devil's box broght us to Mosquito but it was obviously not open yet. You could see the snow across the road from where we were.

Same building different angle.

The amount of earth that was moved here is amazing. The entire hillside was turned over and the tailings were everywhere. Very cool. Thanks Devil Box.

Pesky gravity.

Wait til you see inside.

This building housed these huge spools of cable. The controls are still there but I was afraid to touch them. I've seen too many movies.

Inside out.

How much is raw steel going for? I wouldn't dare, besides how would I get it on the bike?

One more snowy winter and this one might be a gonner.

Last Pass????? That's what they thought.

I talked em into doing Guanella before we went home. It's only 26 miles up and back. We were tired though and it was time to get back.

We stopped here.......

to see this......

and take a few pictures like this....

We superslabbed it back to Casa Del Flingshot and I have to say I was a bit loopy. I don't know if it was because I was getting oxygen or what but I was worried about riding the last few miles on the highway. (You know what they say about being close to home) I took us the back way for the last few miles.

I can't speak for everyone but my bike was a mess when I got home. Paint rubbed off here and there from luggage and boots, rear fender rubbed from the cooler, side plastics were rubbed raw from dirt under the Dirtbagz, tires looked like we did the Dakar Rally and the headlight had 42,362 little bugs stuck to it. I counted them.

The bikes went back in the truck and sadly the trip was officially ending.

And just like that it was over.

I had the idea to retire my side covers after every big ride and have my new pals sign them so I can keep them as a momento for the ride. Maybe someday I will have a garage wall full of side covers. I also wrote on it every pass we went on and every interesting place we stopped at.

Here is the Mudflinger all unpacked and all the gear airing out.

All cleaned up and ready for the next adventure.

Well all there is left to say is a BIG Thanks to Rick and Josh. These guys are genuine! I can't wait to ride with both of you again SOON.

Your turn guys!

flingshot screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 05:29 PM
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Day 3

Let the fun begin but first we had to get to the dirt.

Fling in front.

Josh in the rear.

The first fun was on Rampart Range Road.

Then it was on to the passes. First up, Ute Pass. If there was a sign we missed it. Then more pavement to Wilkerson Pass.

Trout Pass

We took a slight detour to Canyon City to check out the Royal Gorge Bridge but did not spend the $24 a person to walk across. Last time I was here I drove across but now its just a big tourist trap. The bridge and gorge are still amazing to see.

Next up on the list was Hayden Pass. Scotts demon book said it was a moderate trail. The east side was steep with sections of small loose rock and ledges. Nothing too hard but you had to pay attention or drop off a thousand feetl on the left.

Scott right before we head up.

Boy look how easy that looks but it is a lot steeper then the picture shows.

We only stopped one time on the way up so we have no pictures to show. Once at the top we took the mandatory sign pic.

The demon book also said the west side was a little easier then the east so down the west side we go. About 2 miles down you hit a seep section with big loose rock that goes on for about a half-mile or so.

Here is Scott coming down.

Where is Josh?

Oh there he is.

Here is how the conversation went.

Me: So Josh you OK?

Josh: Im fine.

Me: Do you want to pick up the bike?

Josh: No not yet Im resting.

Me: OK just let me know when.

Josh: How about never.

After a few minutes Josh was feeling better and we all made it down to this nice overlook.

From here to the bottom it was a piece of cake.

Quick stop at Poncha Pass.

We went to Poncha Spring for a bite to eat and then on to fine a place to camp. We tried to camp at O'Haver Lake campground but it was full so we headed up Marshall pass to see if we could find a place to cowboy camp. About a mile up from O'Haver Lake CG we found a great spot all to ourselves. By the way it was now dark, raining and muddy.

We set up out tents and started a nice fire.

Josh

Scott

Mine

Always great to have a fire.

Scott and Josh said they heard strange animal noises but I slept all night and never heard a thing. I bet it was just Scott snoring.

Gps data for the day.

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #20
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,887
Enjoying the report, guys!
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Bill Shanks
Stumbler

Oddometer: 662
There is nothing wrong with the DR's plastic that some flat black paint won't cure. Great ride and report!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
flingshot OP

Thanks!

Glad your'e enjoying the report. We sure enjoyed the ride.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
flingshot OP

So this is how it's gonna be eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
This is more like it.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
BCRides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
BTW,

I think the reason you didn't see the sign for Ute Pass is that it's not a pass in the traditional sense, that is, over a mountain/saddle/range, etc... but rather a pass or route through the mountains up into the higher country...

Correction - just decided to look it up... according to wikipedia....
For the canyon west of Colorado Springs locally called "Ute Pass", see Fountain Creek.
Ute Pass

Ute Pass

Elevation9165 ft./2793 m.
LocationTeller County, Colorado
United States

RangeFront Range
Coordinates3856′30″N 10509′25″W / 38.94167N 105.15694W / 38.94167; -105.15694
Topo mapUSGS Divide
Traversed byU.S. Highway 24

Ute Pass (elevation 9,165 ft (2,793 m)) is a mountain pass west of Colorado Springs, near Divide.
The climate is arid, so many plants that grow here are adapted to low water usage. The pass at one time was used by stage coach and equestrian traffic. It is steep (6%) on the east side. The pass is traversed by U.S. Highway 24.
This Colorado state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_Pass"

Not sure where that sign is... have never noticed one...

Just checked my gazeteer - shows the pass immediately west of Divide...

Anyway, it's definitely not obvious when you go "over" like with most passes.
www.BarryCookRealEstate.com

BCRides screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 05:40 PM
BCRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
flingshot OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRides
BTW,

I think the reason you didn't see the sign for Ute Pass is that it's not a pass in the traditional sense, that is, over a mountain/saddle/range, etc... but rather a pass through the mountains up into the higher country, so there's no real point at which to put a sign like at the top of a ridge that you go over and then down the other side.

I wondered the same thing when I first moved here 6 months ago.

Correction - just decided to look it up... according to wikipedia....
For the canyon west of Colorado Springs locally called "Ute Pass", see Fountain Creek.
Ute Pass

Ute Pass
Elevation9165 ft./2793 m.
LocationTeller County, Colorado
United States
RangeFront Range
Coordinates3856′30″N 10509′25″W / 38.94167N 105.15694W / 38.94167; -105.15694
Topo mapUSGS Divide
Traversed byU.S. Highway 24

Ute Pass (elevation 9,165 ft (2,793 m)) is a mountain pass west of Colorado Springs, near Divide.
The climate is arid, so many plants that grow here are adapted to low water usage. The pass at one time was used by stage coach and equestrian traffic. It is steep (6%) on the east side. The pass is traversed by U.S. Highway 24.
This Colorado state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_Pass"

Not sure where that sign is... have never noticed one...
Yep, we must have driven right by the sucker. We did the same thing with Trout Creek as they planted the sign parallel with the road so it's easy to miss unless you are looking for it. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #26
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Day 4

Sometime in the night it had stopped raining but that would not last long. However the site we found last night looked even better in the daylight. The price was just right, free. If youre in the area you can find it here. N38 26.051 W106 08.206

You can see O'Haver Lake from Marshall pass road as youre going up.

Scott takes an action shot of me.

Kids will be kids and its a good thing he missed or I would have kicked his bike over. LOL

Marshall Pass

Back to Poncha Spring for a breakfast snack.

Then it was on to Hermit Pass the funny thing was as soon as we turned on to Hermit Rd out of Westcliffe I realized I was on this road during the TAT ride in 2008. This year we would be going up, last year we just camped in the woods.

Hard to forget this road.

Ok give me your opinion on something. In the picture below you see my bike fully loaded for a 2 or more week trip. There are 25 ponds in the rear bags and 8 pounds in the tank bag. It seems to work well for me but was wondering if I would benefit by adding side bags and lowering the weight a little? The racks would add about 5 pounds to the set up. Ok back to the report.

Here is Scott going up, at this point we are above 12,000 ft.

The winds were blowing hard and it was raining off and on, you cant tell it in this picture but the road was flowing like a river in most places.

This is were we turned around because the snow looked like it covered the road a little further up the pass. Were at 12,500 ft here.

Back down we go.

Hey look who we found at 12,200 ft.

Wait up guys.

Hermit road looking down.

Were off to see Pass Creek Pass but we found an old school house for sale along the way. You can have the schoolhouse and 35 acres for $90,000.

We had to spend a little time fixing Joshs tail rack.

By the time we made it to Pass Creek Pass it was raining.

La Veta Pass

North La Veta Pass has a few cool buildings on it and a homemade sign.

Cool Church inside and out.

The next pass was Mosca but the Devil box took us south and to the wrong end of the pass. We were told it was a one-way pass and we were on the wrong side. %^$#

Passed this on the way to Mosca, boy that bike looks fast.

A few cowboys working.

We were also told that the road to Medano pass was closed due to fast and deep water. With rain all around we decided to call it a day and camp at the Great Sand Dunes Oasis campground. N37 39.174 W105 34.967

The Great Sand Dunes are just a few miles north of Camp.

Here is Scott getting the bad news about Mosca and Medano.

After we set up camp Josh and I went to eat and Scott worked on a new route for tomorrow. When we returned from eating we talked over the options for the next day;s ride and Scott put the finishing touches on them. They tell me there was lots of noise but again I slept like a baby.

GPS Data Day 4

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #27
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingshot
I knew it had to come. The last day of riding...

Trailace coming through a little water crossing. Man that road was wetter than a bus load of fat women on the way to see Ricky Martin.

okay i guess i got to go back up this week... since last week it was still snowed in on the west side at the gate....

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #28
flingshot OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUtback UFO
okay i guess i got to go back up this week... since last week it was still snowed in on the west side at the gate....
Better hurry if you want to play in the snow!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #29
flingshot OP

Whats the diff?

Hey any one know what the difference is between Screetcher of the house, Nancy Pelosi and the Royal Gorge is?

The Royal Gorge is a busy ditch.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Onr more bad joke like that and your off the TAT team.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362