Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #2656
bergsteigen
One continent at a time.

Oddometer: 178
Great pictures. I'm sure after riding for so long, hanging around during the winter must be a nice change. As much as I love riding, I still enjoy winters. Greatly enjoy your photography and writing. Keep it up...
bergsteigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #2657
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
and yes, still loving those pics

That one with the grass in the lake, captures it lovely(the transition between autumn and winter I mean)

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #2658
jussaral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
awesome pictures !
jussaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #2659
julien
n00b

Oddometer: 6
As usual, you make us a very nice gift with these pictures.

Thanks a lot Margus, merry christmas for you and Kariina.
julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #2660
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Amazing selection of pictures as always....merry christmas for you and your girlfriend...

CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #2661
buzzlightyear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks for sharing your snowphotos with us, they are out of this world!
buzzlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #2662
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Häid Jõulupühi!
’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #2663
micro_fresh
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Merry Christmas!!

Thanks for sharing your amazing photos!

micro_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #2664
shrekk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Talking Merrry Christmas

Merry Christmas to the both of you. Thank you both for sharing you adventure and photos with us. It makes me want to get out on my own as soon as possaible. I wish you both the safest ot travels in the coming years.
shrekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #2665
Chev.
The Final Drive?

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
"Unlimited" budget dream travel: a modded HP2 for me as a "mothership" + a modded and lightly loaded WR250R for Kariina.

I just love the HP2 concept, especially with the HPN mods, light wheels + high end suspension, below 170 kg dry - i.e. Simo Kirssi endurance racer replica but with a big fuel tank.....
Many thanks for your considerate comments. The very best wishes for both of you in the new year.

Modifications on my 2003
Chev. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #2666
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
I got those couple of river and a lake shot basically just moments before the ice started coming in

In the evening there were ice islands forming already - this year it got cold very late but also very rapidly. On one of the reflection lake pics actually you see the ice coming in the distance. Now everything is under the thick ice sheet of course - no chance for nice reflection pics with snow. Only the very fast flowing rivers are more or less free of ice and usually only in the center.
Merry Xmas Margus, Johannesburg is a cool 32C at the moment and quiet, holiday season is like a lemming run for the coast so we stay home, glad you to see you about here still, I still love to visit the report for insperation, just for interest I saw the chinese / Taiwanese bearing discussion, I rebuilt my 1999 gearbox recently, the bearings were all "Made in England".
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #2667
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
Thanks for the update!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #2668
rummyogray
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Winter and a time for quiet

I've been following your journey from the first post and oddly enough, I never thought to leave a comment. Thank you for taking us along on your travels. I, through your eyes and words had a chance to see things I've only dreamed of. You never know what lies ahead, keep hopes alive and one day the dreams become reality. Happy New Year!!

Aloha,
Monty
Honolulu, a small town in the Sandwich Islands.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #2669
dubsider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
scanner

Hey Margus, your photographs are wonderful in every respect. You may have answered this, for your analogs, what scanner do you use to digitize?
dubsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #2670
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Cheers guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
just for interest I saw the chinese / Taiwanese bearing discussion, I rebuilt my 1999 gearbox recently, the bearings were all "Made in England".

Good to hear, hopefully all goes well in JoBurg and Pretoria area!?

I reckon the bearings will be allright if they get the materials and design put right in the first place. Definitely a lot better mechanically than anything "Made in China".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsider View Post
Hey Margus, your photographs are wonderful in every respect. You may have answered this, for your analogs, what scanner do you use to digitize?
Most of the previous stuff is scanned with Epson Perfection 4490 which I consider a very average consumer scanner: relatively poor color rendition (can be improved a lot with IT8 calibration, but still not fully satisfying) and very poor resolution (it's quoted 4800ppi but it realistically it does 2000ppi at best), for web-use it does OK though.

But recently I got a new "hobby" by getting my hands on a dead drum scanner belonging to a local print museum with a deal if I can make it work I can use it for free. So the last batch of the scans with film info on the frames is with the ScanView ScanMate 3000 drum scanner that I'm still working on (which I brought back to life but it's still damn unstable - the system crashes almost every second scan) but I have a couple of more ideas left on how to stablilize the 66lb weighting monster. Now that I've got a taste of it, IMHO there's really nothing that compares to PMT (Photomultiplier Tube) sensor scans that only the drum scanner offers - just the character, soulfulness, geometry and sheer fine detail in the images. But it takes a lot of knowledge on how to operate, maintain a drum scanner and I'm slowly learning the dying art of drum scanning: calibrating, wet-mounting, apertures etc. So for me it's really worth it to make it work properly since I'm hoping to rescan most of the RTW frames with it - fingers crossed.

Margus

tsiklonaut screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 12:48 AM
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote